Stash and Crafting Materials Empty after Steam Backup

I’ve been switching between my laptop and my desktop for LE and its been fine until now. I just recently had an issue where my level 33 character on my laptop didnt get updated to the level 39 I had been playing on my desktop. I checked both and my character on desktop was still level 39 while if I opened it on my laptop the character was level 33.

So then I decided to just download the steam backup files from the steam website and replace them in the AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Saves. This worked and my character on the laptop is now the level 39 version (note that I backed up the originals on the laptop and renamed the files in the folder, so the old level 33 is still in the save folder but renamed).

After logging on though, my stash is now empty and I no longer have any crafting currency. This isn’t a super big deal because I had nothing good really in the first place. BUT I’d love to know what caused that and if there is a part of this process that I shouldn’t do in the future to avoid this happening when I actually have some decent items. Some general advice on how to go about this in the future would be appreciated.

Edit: Should I put this in technical support instead of general?

Did you keep the file “Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta”? or did you rename that too?
That is the file that stores your global stash, gold and crafting materials.

I am not entirely sure what caused this issue in the first place. But i guess steam for some reason didn’t sync with the cloud properly.

Did you keep the file “Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta”?

Ahhh, yeah, I just replaced all the files that steam had backed up. So that is probably what did it. I’ll be sure not to let replace that one again.

Btw, I’ve read through some of your guides around the forums and found them to be very helpful! Thanks a lot for making those for people like me AND taking your time to help some random player with some information :smiley:

1 Like

So is your stash, bold and crafting mats gone on both systems now?
If you still have it on one system you should try copying over that named file to the other system, that doesn’t have it.

Otherwise that stuff is probably lost, sorry.

Thank you for your kind words, I am always glad to help and share knowledge, that’s kinda my thing. :smiling_imp:

So is your stash, bold and crafting mats gone on both systems now?

I haven’t checked yet. My partner uses my desktop for class so I am trying to interrupt that as little as possible, the only thing I did was backup those save files on my desktop too. I figure they will still be there, but honestly it’s not a big deal. I had some like 5 uniques and a set item, none of which I cared too much about. I was just collecting them because how could I not collect unique and set items, right?

I might try copying that backup over when I get a chance, but its not a big loss for me. They are items I’m sure I won’t care about once I start getting into Monoliths and the like.

I really just wanted to now what the root cause was so I could avoid it in the future, which you helped me with :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is regular problem with Steam cloud in many games. I have to turn off cloud saves in GD when Steam broke some saves and turn it off for LE too as precaution.

I cannot stress this more @Xeddicus … Steam cloud is not the most reliable thing in the world… Yes its convenient but from experience its not to be trusted… And this is based on playing games via Steam for at least a decade now… I disable it by default. Always make a backup of your savegames & keep a USB drive / stick for transferring between systems… Its the safest…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.