Spine of Malatros is not working at all

Spine of Malatros Unique Sword is not replacing the spirits from Cthonic Fissure with anything. When equipped, cthonic fissure simply appears and does its standard damage over time, and does not cast flame whips at any point.

Tested with a full skill tree of Cthonic Fissure then despecialized entirely out of the skill with the same result. Also specced out of the witchfire/flame whip/ignite overload passives in the skill tree to no effect.

Testing was casting cthonic fissure as normal on training dummies in arena with Torment staff, then removing staff and casting fissure with no weapon, then equipping the sword and casting fissure. Only with Spine of Malatros equipped does nothing come out of the fissure at all, be it flame whips or spirits or chaos bolts of any kind.

Player-prev.log (549.2 KB)

4 Likes

Test the sword on the last minion in the arena that says ā€œcounts as an enemyā€ thatā€™s the only minion the sword work on in the arena

Ah interesting this is true! TIL that dummy is even there and is different.
I guess the flame whips need a target while the chaos bolts/spirits from the normal fissure do not.

Thank for the response here.

Just to follow up, was able to test it in some echoes and the flame whips seem to do a comically low amount of damage to the point where I hope the item is indeed bugged.

Thanks again for the info.

I have seen several people saying it is actually bugged, it would be good to have an official answer on that as it was one of the showcased uniques in the reveal. I have a build planned with it and still collecting gear but I am worried about the status of the whips for what I have been hearing.

Yeah, I feel you. 90% of the fissure nodes arenā€™t working with Spine of Malatros. The spirits effects arenā€™t inherit on the flame whips, thus making this unique useless for most builds. I donā€™t know if this is intended neither a bug, but It should at least specify in to the tool tip/weapon description, like some skill nodes do, saying that spirits nodes wont work.
Fun fact, the flame whips wont proc damned/ignite either, almost 0 benefits from anything.
I donā€™t get the point of this unique if it has almost 0 synergy with the skill + nodesā€¦ and it does less dmg than the warlock flame whip talent tree XD

1 Like

If you hold alt down for the expanded tooltip, it specifically states that only nodes that affects the fissure and initial hit, not the spirits. So itā€™s not bugged, but it has to be built in a different manner than you would usually.
Not sure if this really makes it worth it, but at least it isnā€™t bugged.

1 Like

Thanks, didnā€™t see it! Now it all makes sense. Welp, trash unique because of it, the Initial hit nodes are rly weak.

Yeah they honestly seem kind of weak. Sadface.

Its bugged. It doesnā€™t convert the damage if you use a conversion node and also some spirit nodes affects it

1 Like

Hey again, donā€™t know if i want to spill all my secrets yet but since you were interested Iā€™ll let you know how to build around the sword. Also tired of streamers saying spine in the worst thing imaginable. I admit its not great but no bad. still exploring it to its full potential. Gotten 50k crits (per whip hit(inconsistently)) as of Feb 28 low investment

First: stack necro res for free +crit multi. At 500% res you gain +300 to 450 cruit multi (not including itā€™s base 200% crit multi for a total of 500 to 650). More necro res means more damage.
Second: Cap your crit; this is very easy because flame whip can be used to apply Acid Skin now at any distance (even the ones from proccing ignite overload) which give you that sweet sweet +20% base crit for ALL hit skills, bringing flame whip crit base to 25%. Breakpoint to reach is 300% increased crit strike chance to get 100% crit chance, how you do that, Iā€™m sure you can figure out a few ways :wink:
Third: Scale damage. The second initial hit node gives you +1 flat damage per 2% ignite chance, which simultaneously give us 1% more spell damage to ignited enemies per 20% global ignite chance from ignite overload

Ideal world: 1000% necro, 400% ignite chance on hit, 600% global ignite chance, 300% inc crit chance.
Flame whip will have 100% crit chance, 1100% crit multi, +200 flat spell damage and 1000% stun chance, 30% MORE fire spell damage to ignited enemies.
(again ideal world not realistic, just trying to show the scaling. This is also before other scaling uniques included and passives so plenty to explore. Could also go ignite route with damage over time, easily apply 150 ignites with my current setup though no significant damage since in not focusing on that rn)

(Secretly hoping no one sees this but then again i aim to inspire and clear misinformation, please please people stop using spirit nodes other than Spirit Release Frequency. Upside is that if the sword is actually and truly bugged then when its fixed ill be an even happier man lmao.

Hope this helps or let me know if itā€™s too much hassle, good luck

1 Like

Thanks for the sharing, rly appreciate that, Iā€™m going to test it, but in the last Dev stream, the Dev said Spine of Malatros is bugged at some level and will be fixed. We are hopping bug fix will be deployed along with the others on this week.

Im noticing the initial hit bonus isnt applying, and the spirit frequency is applying. Ive got alot of inc fire damage. Im pretty sure the fire whips from the passive skill tree is where im getting my large whip damage numbers. not from the sword.

I have also noticed that the flame whips work but it no longer shoots chaos bolts even though that node is maxed out. is that the intended behavior?

That seems like intended since it replaces spirits with chaos bolts, not flame whips with chaos bolts.

Iā€™m doing a super scuffed ignite stacker with a fairly good rolled Malatros giving me +7 to skills when itā€™s hitting everything and while I will admit the whips isnā€™t doing the most damage, the Profane Veil with Infernal Shade explosion is carrying hard.

Very fun item to build around, even though the whips may be bugged.

Yeah that is how ive managed to work around it too

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.