Sound related game crashes

I often get crashes that force me to restart the PC. I stop hearing anything from game and other apps too if I have something else open, but it also happens when Last Epoch is the only source. Most of the times the game keeps running until I have to change zones or something like that. After the issue starts the PC begins to become unresponsive, I can’t close the app or anything like that, after a while everything is frozen and I have to restart.
Attached Player.log
Player.zip (37.8 KB)

Hi,

This is a new one… Last Epoch sound doesnt tend to cause crashes. There is only one other thread in the forum that is even vaguely related and it doesnt describe what you are experiencing.

Your player.log doesnt have anything pointing directly to sound problems that i can see. Its got the usual debug messages/known issues but nothing unique that would indicate a possible cause for your issue.

Please can you provide more information - system info via dxdiag, in-game settings, player.logs and any error.logs if they were generated….

In the meanwhile some things to do:

• Make sure your OS is patched and there are no secondary updates that should be installed.
  • Make sure your GPU drivers are updated to something recent - very important irrespective and especially if you are using any HDMI audio sources.
  • Make 100% sure that your audio drivers are up to date - DO NOT assume that windows will update them for you… Go to the manufacturers website and manually get the latest / confirm it
  • If you are using any special audio devices or mixers etc… temporarily disconnect them or disable their software - purely to test if they are related to the problem.
  • While testing, dont run any other software at the same time - temporarily disable or dont run anything - this includes things like game overlays, streaming etc…
  • Make sure to verify the game files through Steam… You may have to do this more than once if it finds a problem.

DxDiag.txt (124.6 KB)
Hi, thanks for the response. I update drivers regularly and I am pretty sure I have done it at least once since I started playing 1 or 2 months ago. I do have an external sound card, that is the first thing I disconnected while playing because I thought that could be the cause of the issue.
Updated all drivers as suggested and attached my dxdiag.info, will try that. The problem doesn’t happen so often, maybe once every other day or something like that. Maybe it is something with my setup, but I don’t recall it happening until I started playing and it really doesn’t happen unless the game is open (maybe because I have the game open most of the time :slight_smile: )

No problem…

At this stage it could be anything really… It could be something unique to your setup that the devs dont have to test on, or it could be a new bug that your config is highlighting…

The best approach is to try and isolate the issue as much as possible and remove easy things like drivers etc from the possible list of causes.

Best case, you find the problem and solve it… Worst case, your efforts will help the devs see if they can trace the issue in the game… :wink:

External sound card disconnected… ok… thats a good approach - be sure to check if any supporting app for the hardware is still running tho… Unity (the game engine that LE uses) can sometimes be a little sensitive to other apps running so its important to check if that is a potential issue that could be causing it.

From your dxdiag

• your Sonic Studio Virtual Mixer drivers are from 2019… maybe check those…

• You seem to be running sound through your GPU with the 3 outputs via each monitor. I wonder if this is potentially doing something… Just guessing here as not a lot of people are using 3 monitors here (at least not having issues with LE anyway). The drivers etc all look fine but who knows… maybe this is something…

• The diagnostic section at the end of the dxdiag is showing a few things to deal with:

• SoundSwitch.exe is crashing with coreclr.dll - It seems that the app you are using to switch sound devices is crashing… Perhaps this is the root cause of the problem?

• You have some updates that are failing with the Windows Store and possibly the gaming service on Windows… These are not usually things to worry about but you might want to see what those are and do the updates/fix. View Reliability History on your system to get more info on those issues…

• Last possible idea… LE has performance related issues that can cause the game to crash when loading new maps (zones) and it might be that you are assuming its the sound when its actually the known graphics issues… As a test, set your in-game settings to 1080p, 60fps framerate limited (not vsync & remember the checkbox)… set ALL in-game settings to very low or disabled… Play the game at fullscreen on one of your monitors (dont do run anything else while testing) and see what happens… If the sound thing happens again with these settings then its unlikely to be the known issue…

Good luck and let me know what happens…

Thanks, will try your suggestions, really appreciate it.

Quick update, it happened outside of the game, still not sure what the issue was. After trying a couple of things decided to reinstall the system a few days ago and haven’t had any issues since then.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.