Sometimes the majority is wrong

I never changed my story, i just dont want to post that article of how people where tortured in ww2 with various substances including mercury. As its just graphic, i provided a more tame example

I am well aware that i am biased. I dont claim to be a prophet or that my opinion is better then all. I merely adovocating for myself knowing i am a locust. One does not make the other untrue

Put in simple terms, i am biased. I will tell the devs to listen to me, its up to them to take that feedback and disregard it

But the distinction here between a “bug” and “overtuning” is kind of arbitrary, isn’t it?

For example, if I click The Observatory on the map and end up loading into The Bazaar, that’s clearly a bug, since the result was counter to my intention.

If an ability says it does 5% Leech but actually does 500% Leech, that is a bug if the devs did not intended it to do that much Leech.

However, if the ability does 5% Leech but due to an interaction with another ability / buff / passive allows it the ability to do 500% Leech in a manner that the devs had not intended but had overlooked during play testing…is this a bug now, or just “over-tuning”?"

Also, if the devs are encouraged to leave over-tuned classes / abilities / passives alone within a Cycle, then would it not also stand to reason they should also leave under-tuned classes / abilities / passives alone as well?

Buff all the skills so all the builds can do 2000c. Sure. It’s gonna be a D3 paradise.

Oh wait now we see a bugged skill doing 3000c. What do we do? Buff everything so we can all do 3000c.

Oh wait now there’s a broken build that can do 5000c. Guess what we should do next.

4 Likes

Apperently offline can be modded. So in a way maybe that will happen. Maybe someone will mod and fix the balance

If it’s because of a bug? Yes, squash it. But if it’s because of a natural progression of a build? No. Leave it.

Just like we asked.

It’s not exactly arbitrary. Achieving an OP build due to overtuning or finding a niche combo of items and skills and passives is like, half the fun in a game like this. People want those things because it is fun to figure out, and there are tons of angles and opportunities for it. And when it’s not due to exploiting a bug, then it’s legit and cool, fun times to be had. Probably will be fixed after the cycle. But it’s still part of how it was set up. Exploiting a bug to be OP feels like using cheat codes to win, even if both cases the OP build was unintentional.

Like i get what you’re saying, but the survey results don’t surprise me at all.

3 Likes

Every interaction in the game that increases area actually increases area, not radius. This was an outlier to the power of 2 with a HUGE discrepancy between the intended design and the bugged implementation.

Getting 40% of a minion’s life instead of 4% is also a bug. There is a design, a description of a value and an expectation, but reality differs.

This is not arbitraty.

2 Likes

Tha majority didn’t Vote. Over 1 mill sold copys and ~70k votes. The majority don’t give a fuck because if they did they voted. So instead of making every class op and make the game more powercrepy then D3 they should start to openly communicate their 300C endgame goal.
People will go bananas when EHG stick to this goal and they will open up even more useless threads instead of using the search function.

I bet you ballista is still really strong even after the nerfs.

1 Like

Agreed, currently playing Paladin with channeled Healing Hands, I generate 30k ward within 2 seconds. Basically feels like cheating, no enjoyment. Even after bugfixes, both Warlock and Falconer are still very strong, Runemaster as well. I don’t understand the people (kids maybe :thinking:) for crying about it…

I can’t believe this thread exists. Not just the bugs, they should balance the game immediately whenever something is found to be over- or underperforming. Pardon my zeal but the philosophy of one balance patch per season is nonsense.

Game balance is a mess. Half the ladder players play 2 builds. Top 50, those 2 builds are 95%. Half of the classes at the bottom are played by less than 9%. Most builds from those classes deal an order of magnitude less dmg at their peak than the big boys while having incomparably less defense. A single defense mechanic is potentially stronger than all the others combined. Most uniques are trash and sets are a meme. You could go on for a wall of text.

Balance fixes must be implemented regularly and step by step while monitoring how they affect the meta. Dumping all those fixes onto one big patch might potentially create more balance problems than it solves.

4 Likes

Yes, sometimes the majority is wrong. But not when they objectively aren’t. Like when a bug is a bug and it gets fixed because it’s a bug.

5 Likes

The Warlock Profane Veil, Falconer Cloud Gatherer, and this Ballista screen wide clearing were all well known bugs. Sure playing in a bubble with 0 exposure to the Last Epoch community happens then they would have to learn via announcements. EHG asked the community about this because they had made there statements about no balance changes per cycle and the community responded bug fixing isn’t balancing.

2 Likes

Are we sure that all the players playing the bugged builds stumbled upon them entirely on their own and were not influenced AT ALL by the streamers and youtubers promoting them as broken and OP?

2 Likes

It is too arrogant for a person to claim that whereof the majority think.

Yes, “sometimes” majority is wrong.
But also, most of the time individuals are wrong.

It’s all about distance.
The purpose of balance is about proximity.

When there are 1,2,3 specific specs out of hand, it is more logical for them to be brought next to all other specs that are not out of hand, rather than the other way around.

It is completely illogical to make 13 specs broken and ridiculous because of ballista and profaned veil.

Bugs and overperforming specs should be fixed ASAP.

1 Like

The survey was biased towards EHG getting the answer they wanted so they could roll out their bug fixes (that they clearly already had coded and tested). It’s a pity.

2 Likes

I’m rather certain almost all playing those builds got the builds from streamers promoting them.

1 Like

I would say fix and balance things as and when they arise. Playing a broken build doesn’t make people good gamers, it makes gamers reliant on meta builds instead of fun and engaging gameplay.

My personal gameplay has been affected by these broken mechanics as I will not touch these skills until they have been fixed. This allows me to enjoy the game how it is intended to be played and not how boring YouTubers instruct me what the “best build” is.

Broken builds are for broken people. :hugs:

3 Likes

Exactly.

Zero sympathy for meta slaves who netdeck the fun out of the game.

1 Like