So you're advertising your game as finished 21st February but 3 chapters of story missing on release

Yeah that’s what I thought, zero accountability. If it’s so hidden how did I have the info?

4 Likes

So any game can just market itself as a “live service game” and thus forgo any ramifications of publishing a product out of early access in an unfinished state? You’re setting the bar for quality dangerously low with that mindset, I hope you’re aware of that.

As for addressing Renobgod because i’ve hit my post limit I’ll add my reply to them here also:

Ok figures that you have a corporate mindset, glad we got that cleared up and that you firmly believe companies should have no accountability to be intellectually honest and up front with consumers, you have the info but you’ve been by your own words following the developers live streams for the past 2 years so of course this isn’t news to you, like I said you like all the people and I mean no offense when I say it its just the facts are a minority, the vast majority of players will not visit a games official forums, which is why I said this information is being omitted by not being present in the steam page AT all.

2 Likes

If they deliver that live service game model, yes.

But if a game that is clearly meant to be a soloplayer role playing experience with a great emphasize on the story, it would not go well if it self markets as live service game. This would backfire.

In LE, with everything we know and EHG talks about their plan, it totally makes sense for this game.

Also I don’t think that the quality is the problem here. We are talking about the last few chapters of the story, not the quality of what is in the game already.

I want to emphasize, that I admire people for speaking up about things like this, if they firmly believe. But honestly I don’t think this will lead anyway now. The hostility you showed in your OP already made me believe that there is not much merit in interacting here but I wanted to give it a try.

I just think that EHG has a good enough track record in terms of transparency and how they are doing things, that what you criticized is neglectable from my point of view.
If there are other that agree with you, that is great and that is what the forum is here for.

8 Likes

The truth of the matter is a vast majority of people don’t give a shit about the story in an arpg, it’s a you problem like a said. You’re unironically the minority here. And I didn’t watch every live stream I just happened to follow news of the game from time to time, I was just referring to you claiming they “hide” stuff when they’re VERY open about everything.

2 Likes

In this instance, I will gladly stand on the side of corporate. They are smart enough to realize that dedicated ARPG players do not care about story content, and are instead prioritizing things that actually matter.

9 Likes

That.
I have said many times that a game with an unfinished story can only be a beta. A beta with a 1.0 tag, but a beta nonetheless.
It is extremely disappointing, but doesn’t justify the OP’s offensive tone.

Funny fact, the info wasn’t on the forum. It was on discord, in streams, but not forum.
A while back, I had to tag some senior developers in a thread (which is frown upon) to get a clear answer here.

PoE had a very short, and no too interesting story. But consistent, it was complete.
Then they waited a long time to add 7 chapters all at once instead of 1 chapter at a time, to avoid feeling too “incomplete” at any point.

Yet this is the only game doing that, while there are other live service games…

Sadly, this bit is true. :cry:

Another true bit.
Again, I do agree with the OP on the fact that having an unfinished story on “release” is really bad. But it has nothing to do with Tencent (if you want to avoid them completely, you might as well stop playing computer games), and it is absolutely not “dishonest” or “fraudulent”.

1 Like

Wait did you say this is the only game doing live service this way with the story? What? Diablo 4 literally only has 1/3 the story completed and are locking the rest of it behind paywalls via expansions…at least Last Epoch isn’t locking it behind paywalls. Plus the story is NOT a priority in an arpg, the loot, crafting, power fantasy, mechanics and systems are all superior in the genre.

4 Likes

Now we are entering nonsense territory… Doesn’t matter I suppose.
Diablo 4 has a perfectly consistent story (brilliantly told, too), with a clear final boss and conclusion.
You can always imagine a sequel to a story, it doesn’t mean that the first story was incomplete.

2 Likes

lmao…

4 Likes

It literally ends on a cliffhanger…but I’m nonsensical eh?

2 Likes

Don’t buy games in early access. Wait for them to be released and for some reviews. If you are looking for story, don’t play ARPG in general.

9 Likes

Truth be told 99% of players are gonna be fine with it because 99% of players are casuals and will eifher quit at husk of panillion in act 2 or just stay until their fav creator grows bored a month later and quit, aka they aint getting to act 8, more less beating lagon.

Those who beat it are hardcore arpg players and most of us are chill so dont care as we having fun. In my eyes, this js a none issue

2 Likes

Can you define “unfinished story” ?
What is so unfinished in a narrative sense about LE story ?

Is it only because we don’t kill Apophis at the end of act 9 ?

Or is there some unresolved emotional tension that I’m unaware of ?

What would be, storywise, the needed conclusion for you to say “Okay, not the game is not in Beta anymore” ?

4 Likes

To try and answer your question, my thread from a long time ago…

Edit: to summarise, “unfinished story” means no end boss, and opening questions that don’t get answered.

1 Like

So what happens to Neyrelle (sp?) and Mephisto at the “end” of Diablo 4? Is that not an open question that’s not answered? I thought that was finished though according to you. Weird.

2 Likes

Your opinions are laughable and your facts are questionable at best. No story in a continuing online game is done until they say it’s done. In the AARPG genre, Diablo 2 vanilla got it most right when it comes to story completion but pretty much everything since has left it’s story open ended because they know updates/expansions are coming. Most games enter full release when the dev’s consider it feature complete. Stories are almost NEVER complete. You think LE is bad with a launch because the story is incomplete…what about D4, POE, Grim Dawn. Those 3 are the closest and most recent major release competitors. All of them didn’t exactly complete their story at launch, in fact 2 of them were much further from true endings at launch than LE is. And that’s a GOOD thing if you knew anything about online gaming in aargp’s or mmorpg’s.

FYI if you’ve played LE long enough to know the story isn’t complete you aren’t getting a refund from Steam. So all this whining about refunding the game is not only a waste of your time, it’s wholly ignorant of Steam’s refund policy. I have a feeling this genre at the very least, or maybe online gaming as a whole, isn’t for you.

8 Likes

I might have not looked very thorough, but does the steam store page advertise the game as having a twelve-chapter story? 15 mastery classes, 120+ skill trees — that is stuff that is advertised on the store page. Instead, I found a passage “ongoing development” (translated from German store page: fortlaufende Entwicklung).

3 Likes

Love muffins!

5 Likes

Ah, I see the confusion now. It does make sense, thanks for clarifying and apologies for my nonsense comment.
You consider a story incomplete until either everybody is dead, or we can clearly say “and they lived happily ever after”. This is a valid point of view. But that means pretty much no book or movie produced in the last 50 years is truly finished.

I explain it better in the long thread I linked, but in a nutshell, what is generally considered a complete story from a narrative point of view is closing the urgent plotlines opened during the story. Keeping some doors open for the future is fine.
In the Diablo 4 example, the questions about Lilith are solved. Sanctuary is not in immediate danger anymore. The story is rounded up. Not the entire story of the world, forever, but the plot we were talking about (Lilith).

To bring it back to Last Epoch, we don’t need to completely eradicate the void or destroy Orobyss forever for the story to feel “complete”. If anything, it is better to keep it open to justify the timelines grind. But we do need to know who the Immortal Emperor is, how Apophis became the Oracle, how Yulia and Zerrick and Harton became what they are, how the void spread throughout the world, because those are immediate plotlines opened during the storytelling and not closed.
And we do need some kind of big baddie at the end, a big firework conclusion. Majasa just doesn’t fit as an end boss (not because she isn’t strong enough, just because she is not important enough in the story).

9 Likes

My bet is on Grael.

3 Likes