So... is Wolcen officially dead?

I would argue, that inventory based MTX is not “good” and borderline P2W.

Other than that i am also very exciting to see what they have in store, while still being very healthy sceptical.

From my experience, stuff that is being worked on silently in video games, be it new games or major updates to existing games turn out way better than stuff being constantly teasered/shown

I am not sure how much they included feedback from the community, but they stated they listened, even when they were non-communicative

I will certainly give them a chance, because alot of the patches they done after release actually weren’t that bad, but just missed actual content.

High level variants for uniques that are endgame viable were one thing that was very nice.

Two major things i am looking forward too are:

• Endgame replayability and variety
  • Rework of scaling (increased + more multiplier for example), because the attributes scaling just destroyed all meaningful endgame scaling

I wouldn’t disagree with inventory MTX “not being good”, but comparatively to straight up selling power items as many games with cash shops end up doing it’s not the worst thing in the world. Sure, I’d much rather have rather have inventory expansion through in game means.

This was encouraging for me as I think the game has some great aesthetics and has progressively gotten better over time, as you mentioned, so I was happy to see the possibility of it moving more towards a continuing project state rather than a “left to idle” state.

I too hope they have actually listened to feedback even though we haven’t had communication from their end. Things like hammers still not hitting beetles 3-4 years later (was this ever fixed, was still not fixed last time I played) is always frustrating every time I go back to fool around with the game and always made me look poorly upon the team for not fixing such astoundingly awful issues over the course of several years. Many little things like that were the things that eventually made me stop caring to look for progress updates on the game.

Honestly, this update kind of surprised me as I was more prepared to see an announcement that the game had been sold off to a be rebranded in a new market or some such nonsense.

The wolcen dev team killed the game through neglect imo, but it was fun while it lasted.

The game was destined for disaster as the released (I use that term loosely) product was far and away from what they had pitched in the original crowd funding campaign. Locking so much content out of early access testing and not having a server stress test was ill advised and I hope other devs have learned from that mistake.
I hope they can rebound and make a solid product just so I can justify my purchase as I can’t refund it. I won’t hold my breath however.

FYI.

New update dropped for Wolcen on Steam yesterday…

Maybe they are not dead yet afterall…

(no idea if its good enough of an update to overcome the past but they have pages and pages - no joke - of patch fixes and changes.)

Torchlight 3, Wolcen, Pagan - rip =(

I just finished reading through the patch notes and redownloading the game to give it a go while waiting for today’s patch. I’m seeing mixed opinions about it, but it appears that the foundation of the game might finally be in a good spot, meaning gate of fate nodes actually working and thankfully they got rid of the 4 tier attribute system that scaled damage.

We’ll see, but overall it doesn’t appear to be generating a great deal of buzz or excitement.

I played about 2 hours of the new patch and just re-uninstalled. Still clunky combat, slow hit registration and the new season is simply a dumbed down version of monster hunter.

Yeah I just jumped in, nice to see the targeting is still annoying and click-holding a dash attack still causes you to continue running and not attacking your target. Sigh. I’m going to give it a bit more time but this doesn’t bode well.

2 Likes

I played yesterday and no 2d art would show, couldn’t see items in my inventory and no mini map. oh and couldn’t see skills either.

1 Like

Were your eyes closed?

Sadly no… I had to witness it all

My old characters are only rendering half of their 3d assets. They look like Van Gogh paintings.

1 Like

I started a new character this morning to play for a bit. As soon as I equipped a chest piece of armor, my mid-section went invisible. Only the chest piece, everything else would show but I was partially invisible. Honestly though I don’t think I’ll ever go back to the game unless they add controller support. New content is nice, but it’s really uncomfortable to play with mouse & keyboard, I have a lot of wrist problems as it is.

Yeah I agree. The click boxes of enemies is very inconsistent and the click and hold response is aggravating as all get out. Maybe controller support could help it, I’m not sure. One of my bloodtrails just stopped in the middle of a zone and didn’t spawn a pile for me to click on. There’s still far too many problems.

On a positive, I didn’t feel absolute powerless while going through chapter one. The nodes and attributes feel like they’re doing something and increasing your power. So at least there could be some build diversity now at the end game. I just don’t know if I can be bothered to go through the story again to get there.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.