Skill scaling question

So if a skill scales with, let’s say, Cold/Spell/DoT (Maelstrom), is there a difference in scaling per stat?
or (50% cold + 50% spell) = (100% DoT) = (80% cold + 20% DoT) etc?
Talking about affixes.

It can scale from any of those stats and all sources of increased damage are added together. For example,

20% increased cold damage + 30% increased spell damage + 50% increased damage over time = 100% increased damage for your maelstorm

This is just one part of the damage calculation. More details can be found in the community guide - Community Game Guide - #8 by AndrewTilley

1 Like

Anything that starts with increased goes to the same bucket.

For maelstrom applies:

Increased Damage (IE Increased Damage while transformed, and some passives).
Increased Cold Damage
Increased Damage over Time
Increased Elemental Damage over Time

Also, if you hold alt on you skill you will see attunement (was attunement right) also gives 4% increased damage per point to that specific skill.

The other ways to scale maeltrom:

• With flat spell/cold damage: Maeltrom has 6 cold damage as base and any added flat is turned in a 30% rate. So if you have a scepter or want with 100 flat spell damage, 30 goes to maelstrom base damage.

Resistance reduction (cold):

• Cold penetration will go to this one, also Shred cold resistance.

And of course the more multipliers of the skill tree. Those are really important.

Hope it helps.

1 Like

Thanks, guys.
I already read the damage calculation explanation on maxroll, I just wanted to know if there’s a difference between different buff sources (thought maybe cold gives more per percent than spell or something).

If I understand the question, then they are usually worth the same.

Maelstorm has 6 cold damage as its base. So any of those increased damage modifiers would affect that 6 cold damage the same.

If you add 50 spell damage from a weapon, then Maelstorm will also treat that as cold damage. So, you have 6 + 50*30% = 21 cold damage that will then be increased by your stats. The 30% comes from the added scaling damage of the Maelstorm skill.

Anyways, if you somehow add +6 physical spell damage to Maelstorm. Then that physical damage will no longer be scaled from increased cold damage. However, it could still be scaled from increased damage over time.

So if your skill is only 1 element, then all increases are basically the same. But if you have multiple damage types, then you may better off picking a more generic increased damage.

1 Like

The best one is elemental damage over time, that one in weapon can get huge values, I think also appears on other places:

Increased Elemental Damage Over Time - Item prefixes - Last Epoch Item Database (lastepochtools.com)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.