Sigils of Hope is a spell that feels bad to cast. It’s expensive, requires frequent attention, and the payoff is just keeping up an uptime buff rather than anything visceral or interesting. Putting it in your build is taking on a chore in exchange for a strictly numerical benefit.
The only time it feels kind of decent is when you completely bypass the casting mechanics with Last Wish (when it works, eg. in arena). All we’re doing there is “upgrading” the spell to a passive that we can hotbar and forget about, which is not speaking to a great and satisfying mechanic.
I suggest fixing Sigils by converting it into a powerful, low uptime buff that strongly incentivises diving into the thick of the fight and staying there. This is a chance both to make the spell more fun and provide some QOL for aggressive/risk-taking (esp melee) Sentinel builds.
This does result in a little similarity with Holy Aura, but I don’t think it’s that bad since Holy Aura’s nova potential is pretty mild. They can be further differentiated by speccing Sigil strongly towards a self/single-target buff and defensive layer and leaving the party-buffing aura role to Holy Aura.
Proposed key characteristics:
- long cooldown (25s+)
- short duration (~4s)
- No stack mechanic
- Powerful buff
- Duration can be extended by killing enemies or hitting rares (with limit to how much you can “bank”). I.f.f. you continuously hit enemies, can achieve ~50% uptime, maybe push 75% with node investment.
- Should probably have some nodes that explicitly favour melee over ranged.
Fate of the existing nodes
- Stat buff nodes can be scaled by 3x to compensate the lack of stacking and lower reliability of the uptime.
- Divine Flare triggers when the duration ends, instead of on a recast. A child node could replace/reduce the on-hit duration extension in exchange for scaling on the explosion (per-hit during the sigil duration)
- Faith threshold could be “when you drop below X% hp” threshold instead of damage, making it more predictable and general as a defensive layer. Since the trigger frequency is severely limited by the long Sigil cooldown, it + its child nodes could also be somewhat stronger.
- Cast speed/mana efficiency/max sigils nodes can be respecced to focus on the cooldown + duration extension mechanic
- Various nodes could be replaced with more interesting/powerful effects in reflection of the fact that it’s no longer a passive-like ability with 100% uptime