Shower thought of the day: Is LE underutilizing one of the key strengths of the game?

I am talking about build and class variety. There are 12 Masteries with more to come and each mastery offers lots of viable builds with different playstyles.

Regarding build variety:

Right now I can easily respec to try out different builds. It costs me a bit of gold and after a couple of monoliths my skills are back to level 20. The game is inconsequential. It does want to encourage meaningful decisions, but doesn’t deter me from respeccing. It just makes it a bit tedious. So I was thinking the following: What if respeccing would be for free and there would be an armory such as in D3, where you can save different builds? In contrast to D3, LE has actually a great build variety to offer. Instead of farming for one build and maybe getting bored with a monotonous Playstyle, I can farm for several builds and be happy about more meaningful item drops. Also instead of making an “all in one build”, it will encourage to make different builds for different content, which is a good thing in my opinion. At the same time “All in one builds” would become a thing for those who only want to play one build.

Regarding class variety:

LE has meaningful item drops. I might get a cool exalt or unique with or without LP that might me want to push another mastery. Like many ive leveled many Masteries, but few have i gotten through monoliths. And the thought of getting another mastery through monoliths and missing out on the chance of an orians eye in the meantime, just stops me from wanting to do it entirely. I’m not saying I want to get to empowered immediately. But as someone who plays way more than any of my friends, yet in terms of LE is considered a filthy casual, id like it to be easier.

For me respecing isnt the issue, its the blessings from monoliths that softlocks you in place

For example my Maelstrom Bear uses the Rahyeh Spell Leech blessing as without it I have almost zero recovery, without the blessing I need to use Avarice/Bleeding Heart but with the blessing I can use Atrophy gloves and I dont get Void res from Rahyeh. If I respec to a non caster build - I could drop the Spell leech for Void res making gearing easier but that requires farming that timeline over and over to get it and if I decided to go back to Maelstrom I need to refarm the leech blessing which seems to be rare

I think the armoury think isnt a good idea, its been posted here before. Devs wouldnt want it due to changing builds right before a boss. I love respecing but I also think each character needs some sort of identity/role (even if it changes somewhat drastically) instead of some weird super character that can morph into every Primalist build because you had a loadout ready

3 Likes

Hi, I am aware of the switching before boss fights. I read a comment here the other day where a player was complaining about the respec saying if they are really so afraid of switching before boss fights. It’s what triggered my thought process. Because if you really struggle with a boss fight, the current system doesn’t stop you from switching the build for it.

As I said, I just think it’s worth discussing that a core strength of the game, the build variety, is hidden behind mechanics instead of being embraced and put on pedestal.

But currently you’d pay a fairly significant cost (for respeccing the skills at least), namely that the skills would then drop down to lvl 10 (at best) & require a few more monos to run through to get back up to lvl 20. I’d be surprised if the kind of person who would want to respec to a single target skill spec (for the efficiency) would be willing to tolerate running several additional monos to get their skills back up to lvl 20 (in the current system).

In general, I would love if there was an easier way of swapping blessings, if you had them before. Like, every time you’d pick a blessing after defeating the boss, it gets unlocked for you, and you could swap between previously unlocked blessings quickly. I don’t think swapping should be free, maybe it could cost gold (we need a gold sink anyway), some kind of other ressource, I don’t know. But I think it would also create yet another incentive to keep running timelines you already have the right blessing from, to collect them for when you might need them later.

The game Chronicon TRIED free respec - it destroyed the point of ALTs

I might be in the minority but I would actually prefer the opposite, making respecing harder and more expensive. But then again I would also like a small exp penalty on death :). For me the sense of accomplishment is so much greater if the struggle was hard (research of mechanics and drops to make the correct skill choices, playing cautiously to avoid death etc.).

1 Like

I agree with you in general and maybe I’m in the minority as well. However, I’m afraid a more expensive and harder process would discourage the player base as a whole.

For class and mastery passives a less tedious way to respec would be nice to replace the current remove 1 point at a time slog. Maybe there could be a small reward for keeping your class passives locked in place to encourage build identity? Such as provide some % increase to drops each day you don’t respec up to a maximum.

I think respeccing for skills is currently in a good place. You can remove all skills at once and level things back up quickly. Trying new skills as you level with the exp catch up curve they implemented a few patches ago encourages it. Maxing out a skill with 20 points (or more with + skill gear) takes a little extra effort to reach.

I played 400 hours of Chronicon and due to the Mastery leveling system you NEVEr want to roll an alt as its actually detrimental, you want to push to level 1000+

Chronicon added an armory loadout system which was good because I would spend 70% of my playtime respeccing and you had to respec 100-900 points at a time. LE doesnt need it though

Just my 2 cents on the entire subject, swapping your build in LE is too easy and your choices aside from picking your mastery feel weightless. As it stands right now they might as well “D3” the whole deal and let you just change whatever you want whenever you want, for free.

This is how it feels to me anyways. I wish it wasn’t the case and I wish your choices for your character actually mattered and had serious weight but unfortunately they don’t.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.