Should set items have legendary potential?

With the newest crafting system change and the legendary potential items (which is awesome), I feel like a lot of the set items are going to be grinded even more into the dust. Would it be a good idea, or would it be too powerful for the set items to recieve LP?

1 Like

Some of the buffs to Set Items in 084 were nice, but are not sufficient to keep Set Items relevant IMO.

Set Items already were in a almost unused state before.

I totally get, that EHG doesnā€™t want them to become to powerful, but I think giving Set Items also a chance for Legendary Potential would be the right way to go.

I would be fine with them having a lower chance than uniques in general.
And only getting 1 or 2 LP would be reasonable.

5 Likes

On the fence with this oneā€¦

To me the purpose of the set items is to sacrifice slots to gain a very unique and specific bonus that is impossible/very hard to get another wayā€¦ With this in mind, my view is that the Set items themselves are not designed well enough to make them viable - sure they have updated some of the set items in the latest patch, but they just tweaked affixes, not the set bonuses which in my opinon should be the Set version of Legendary Potentialā€¦

Sure adding additional affixes through Legendary Potential will help in some cases, but to me thats like adding racing tires on a donkey cartā€¦ Its still a donkey cart.

3 Likes

They need to be careful with making set items too strong, or theyā€™ll end up like D3.

But I agree, currently there is no reason for endgame gear sets to not be full legendaries (which is fine, because it uses all facets of the game: uniques, exalteds, and crafting).

Although rather than just give set items legendary potential, Iā€™d prefer if they gave them something else to make them stand out instead, like maybe being able to add affixes onto the set bonus rather than the individual items of the set, maybe even being able to fuse idols to them to get some of those amazing idol effects implicitly if you are wearing a full set.

Agreedā€¦ Feel the same wayā€¦ As I said above, Set Item Bonuses just arent exciting enough to strive forā€¦ in general imhoā€¦

I havenā€™t picked a set item outside the ā€œForgotten Knightā€ in months. IDK what needs to change, but set items arenā€™t an exciting drop.

I was just going to make a thread arguing just this point, lol. I think they definitely should. The individual pieces arenā€™t that good on average. The biggest draw is those set bonuses. Which also comes with its greatest weakness: the fact that you have to wear specific items (using specific item slots) to do so, and you have no choice in using different slots.

For example: In a build Iā€™m currently doing, the sunforged set looked initially appealing. +1 to forge strike and +3 forged weapons is fantastic, since my build is all about minion damage with (mainly) those forged weapons. Also, the items themselves look great on their own and even better together. On second look, however, I see that covering those slots is a major drawback. Helmet and Body are the slots for a lot of the +level affixes. Why settle for just +1 forge strike when I can get +2 with T5, even more on exalted. And Iā€™d have space for up to 3 other +skill affixes of that calibre across body and helm. As well as a lot of other important affixes. And forcing me to hold a 2 handed weapon is deal breaking (my build was about tanking with a shield and letting the minions dish the damage).

So, set pieces are much weaker because they are much more restrictive (causing you to use multiple specific slots instead of one). So it is confusing why they are just buffing the better of the two. This could of been the one thing sets needed to make them relevant. It would of given them a much needed versatility (or at least the chance of it).

Maybe it just didnā€™t seem ā€œthematicā€ to use sets to make legendaries (but I wouldnā€™t say so). Maybe they have something better planned for sets in the future. Hereā€™s hoping they do something to make sets relevant, and hopefully soon.

Those are some really cool ideas, actually. Hoping EHG is taking note.

They are so bad* that I donā€™t think that LP would make any difference. Otherwise, yes.

I havenā€™t seen a good set for the characters I have played over my last 200 hours. There may still be some that may surprise me.

Give Set items LP.

Then, when you make them legendary, the affixes are added to the set bonuses (randomly).

Only set Iā€™ve played around with so far is Vilatria 2pc and tbh, I think I need to drop it now that Iā€™m in empowered monos. I made an exalted T21 staff (that also has +1 ele spells implicit) and looking for an exalted helm. I feel like those two well-rolled is going to be out the set by far, despite the extra built in shock. I donā€™t think I can even stack enough int to make the set worth keeping.

Edit: I do love sets a lot. They were a thing for me since D2 and while D3 revolves around them almost, I donā€™t want them to get to that insane/req power level of current D3.
Not sure if adding LP is the way to goā€¦unless the set items turn into some funky swamp green colour.
I think a slight buff and/or rework of the bonuses could be in order.

I would rather see their ā€œunique characteristic/affixā€ buffed instead. After testing, I did not like the legendary items crafting which is just a souped-up unique item.

I donā€™t think they would be bad if they get LP. Arrowguard was bad, but now with LP itā€™s the best quiver in the game. I think LP will make a lot of set items usable and worst and amazign at best.

i dont think sets need lp, but they need something to make them more exciting.
i can imagine a system where you can put set items in the eternity cache and can ā€œupgradeā€ them somehow.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.