Shade of Orobyss in MOF, health bottles and set armors

Hi Devs,

I’d like to add a few suggestions to Orobyss. I realized that there may be some animation issues that causes it (I don’t know the gender) to be somewhat robot-like. Maybe it is suppose to be seen that way. In a few occasions after his three-way void blast, he will charge towards my position. But at some positions at the edge of the map, he will continue to charge for prolong periods, maybe up to a second. Strategically, as a Bladedancer, I’d want to shift in and do damage. Yet, the prolonged dashing animation incurs damage to me as I enter the animation frame. So that is one thing I felt could be adjusted.

The other thing I thought could be adjusted is Orobyss’s attack rate or damage. I suppose it is meant to be a challenge. But as a lvl 64 BD, I feel that I’m a level 20 rogue trying to fight the void boss. Because it gives almost 700 damage with any of its attacks; I have 795hp. With only 3 health bottles (that also do not refresh after being killed), it is really hard to get any attacks in without screaming in fear in front of my screen. I don’t think my gear is that bad since I am able to handle the game fairly decently. Am I doing things wrong? According to the stats on armors, most of them reflect on offensive augmentations. I don’t remember seeing much of +health stats. In which, boosting my hp would be much harder than building up offense. Being said that, there is so much armor you can stack in replacement of offensive traits. Unless attempting Orobyss is a very late stage game (maybe level 100 with appropriate armor sets/gears/etc) then it’s really hard to survive his attacks at my level. But to be fair, I should make an effort to research in YouTube of players (with similar levels) battling Orobyss.

Another suggestion is to either create more slots for health bottles to be carried, or exercise the same idea that Diablo 3 (D3) has for their health consumable (with cool down). What I understand of bosses like Orobyss is to sustain in the battle as long as possible in order to inflict sufficient damage and eventually win. But if the drop rates of health bottles are low and you cannot bring in enough bottles, it is virtually a suicide mission. If Orobyss cannot be completed with my stats, then there is little chance to reset the MOF and it probably be harder to get better gears from MOF in the first place. But this is just my opionion.

One last suggestion is to make armor set names easier to know if they are the same set or not. To be frank, I do not have many set armors, but what I have so far, I cannot fully understand or spot other compatible armors by their names (to get the set armor effect). The names on the armors seem to be more independent to itself than as a set. What I mean is for the example of Barbarian in D3, one of their armor sets comprise of “The Wastes …”. And you know that the remaining armor sets should seemingly read out “The Wastes” prefix or have a similar design. Coming back to LE, I like the idea that it has a personal flavor to the naming, but I felt it doesn’t really do much justice to the set armors here or give the impression of how much better they are to normal gears. Because armors sets cannot be used in crafting. So you have to rely on fixed assets, which may not necessarily help in customization. I think one of the things could help is allow set armors/uniques to be able to craft, but only to upgrade the tiers in their effects. Moreover, these items tend to have more than 4 effects, presumably more than 2 pre-fixes/suffixes. That should give players the impression that set armors and uniques are more worth to grind and use. I mean, this only applies if the focus is to establish some sort of hierarchy in the equip system. I know of some games that want to place emphasis on rare gears to out-perform the set armors/uniques, to allow players to explore more options. At least for LE, I don’t seem to follow the idea of the equip system.

I hope my suggestions could be some help in the game. I will understand if it doesn’t need to be changed to much degree. That would mean I have lacked proper gearing and this makes me more excited to look for those items. Thanks for developing this game and I really enjoy it up to now. I’m really looking forward to the next storyline.

he will charge towards my position. But at some positions at the edge of the map, he will continue to charge for prolong periods, maybe up to a second. Yet, the prolonged dashing animation incurs damage to me as I enter the animation frame.

I’m not exactly sure what you’re saying here but his charge can slightly curve if there’s enough space between the two of you. @Heavy created a wonderful Orobyss ability showcase here which describes each of the boss’ abilities in detail. If this particular shade combination is proving to be difficult (which is natural), you always have the option to seek out another to complete. The last sentence I quoted means you are using shift too late.

I have 795hp.

There are three type of health affixes which can be applied to gear. One is a flat health addition (+15 health), another is a percentage increase to your health (+10% health), and the last is a hybrid of the first two (+20 health and +4% health). These can be applied to various equipment and you can view the applicable equipment slot for each from your inventory screen->view materials and hovering over it.

With only 3 health bottles.

Belts control how many potions you can hold. The maximum is 5 on non-unique items.

According to the stats on armors, most of them reflect on offensive augmentations. I don’t remember seeing much of +health stats.

For the most part, offensive stats are applied to prefixes of an item while defensive stats are applied to suffixes. If you’re lacking health it’s unlikely due to an abundance of offensive affixes applied to your gear.

Your health is definitely too low but you also lack any mention of supplemental defenses such as dodge, endurance, or glancing blows in your post which is concerning. It’s difficult to provide suggestions without any build context but from everything you’ve said it simply sounds like you have focused too much on offense and not enough on defense.

I don’t think my gear is that bad since I am able to handle the game fairly decently. Am I doing things wrong?

After further thought this line is a notable piece of feedback. Prior to this single encounter, one that is considered endgame, you were not sufficiently challenged. You played for 10 hours or however long it took you to get to Orobyss without realizing that belts can drop with more than 3 potion slots which signifies you were never really concerned about over-using them. This is not your fault by any means. The content you cleared prior to Orobyss should have forced you to reevaluate your gearing decisions sooner.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice. I think they are worth trying. But I have no idea how you came out with the 10hours. I agree I have not experienced or seen all of the gears in LE, but it’s still a considerable amount of time and exposure. I do read some players saying belts can hold up to 5 bottles prior to me playing the game, but again, that’s the point in the limited numbers. In which, the game is strongly encouraging players to get better gear before coming back for SoO or create a better strategy. If level 55 is already that damaging, then we know higher difficulties will well… be more difficult. Being said that, the suggestion is to dial down some aspect of the damage output. But ya it’s ok if nothing’s done. I’ll just grind for better gears then.

It was the first number that came to mind. Was it too high or too low?

Hey @SealZadV3,

@tny already gave you some usefull feedback.

One thing is just generally want to mention, that is something generally everybody (especially new players) need to understand, is that Shade is supposed to be very challenging.

Shade Of Orobyss is a optional mechanic, that can be ignored for the most part.

As TNY already said, that you can always look out for another shade, if a specific shade proves to be too strong. Every Shade on the echo web is created with it’s own set of skills.

Shade Of Orobyss has alot of heavy hitting abilities which are completely avoidable, but when you are unexperienced it is very unlikely to avoid most of them, until you learned the patterns.

You definitely need good mitgiation and a decent Maximum Health Pool, to improve the room for mistakes you can make. This way you can learn the fight better ad not die after one or two mistakes.

If Shades feel like a brick wall, that you cannot pass i would suggest to just ignore them.
As i said earlier, it’s entirely optional.

You can proceed and complete all timelines without doing a single Shade.

From the sounds of it, your struggles with Orobyss may be a gear issue which would be easy enough to “fix”. If you can upload your character to the build planner (Last Epoch Build Planner) we can make some suggestions.

Having had a look at the sets on lastepochtools.com with 1 exception they are all named as you suggest:
https://imgur.com/1mghk02

And we plan to fix the one that’s out of line for this patch so it’s not confusing.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.