September 2022 Development Update

Lets gooooooooooooooo :slight_smile:

The problem with that is that thereā€™d be flat spell damage & % spell damage. I hope they keep the adaptive & possibly add it to the flat melee & throwing damage names.

In which case, how will you more easily differentiate flat melee damage from % melee damage (& bow, throwing & spells) given some people already get confused?

Yes, since armour is not a resistance, armour shred wonā€™t be affected by the changes to resist shreds.

Love the audio and skill effect changes, the new totems look really cool. I am excited for the changes but have a few concerns.

This is very interesting and should boost a bunch of skills (Lightning swipe) however since damage type is going to be linked to skill tag then I think this might need a revamp of many melee skill tags then and can cause issues for many builds. For example most hit damage(non proc) Warpath builds take Maw of the deep since it provides a generic damage increase but with this change most such builds would be funneled into going Void damage, similar with Rive and the ignite nodes. Also can have cases with the opposite issue like Vengeance which has nodes for fire but does not get the tag.

1 Like

This is something which already occurs with other sources. We feel that itā€™s easier to explain when the same rules apply more universally than just one source of added damage. Utilizing the term ā€œadaptiveā€ for just spells would only raise more confusion, as it is already commonly inquired. Having them all written the same way means once you understand one, you understand them all. We also have alt text to help describe how it is adaptive, and to provide information alongside the game guide on flat vs increased.

Yup, and thatā€™s what weā€™re doing. It was just a quick line in the post, but to clarify: We are revisiting skills which gain tags for damage types, but donā€™t convert base damage to better utilize these changes and continue the goals of matching items to builds more clear. This change is not just limited to the items, we recognize other systems need to adapt to these these changes as well (pun intended).

4 Likes

I didnt refute any of your concerns, just emphasised what the devs have actually been working on because your post seemed to indicate you either didnt know or dont consider the volume of work their dev blog indicatedā€¦ Yes, it may not get more content in this next 0.9 patch , but there is PLENTY to look forward to even without Multiplayerā€¦ If you dont see that, then youā€™d best just forget about LE till it launchesā€¦

1 Like

Special thanks for this small but very important change.

6 Likes

Great news! Hope there are more updates on the trade system once MP is online. I was back in POE for few days before being reminded again of why their trades and drop rate causes me to burnt out in yhe past.

Right, going to be controversial, but I understand Ild concerns and I want to express a few of my ownā€¦

Fair enough, we always knew it wouldnā€™t.

Or much after?
Last time I was here, I was under the (extremely negative) impression that a full campaign had been pretty much ruled out of the mysterious ā€œlaunchā€ conceptā€¦
Personally, I did forget about LE until it is ā€œcompleteā€, which in my book means only two things: a complete storyline and all the classes I see on character creation screen available.

Development has been extremely slow (I know, thatā€™s the first very controversial point). 3.5 years in beta, and it looks like we will need at least 1 more full year, probably 2-3, to see completion.

Now, based on that, my concerns (youā€™ve been warned, they are controversial):

1. From a competition point of view: the idea would have been outlandish one year ago, but it now seems increasingly likely that Diablo 4, and maybe PoE 2, will be complete before LE. And when they come, they will be a huge hammer blow on the marketā€™s headā€¦

2. From a technical point of view: yes, we do need performance improvements, and combat feel, graphicsā€¦ Question is, how much, and how fast? Computers change quickly. So do engines, and programming languages. It is a kind of permanent process. Waiting for perfection is a recipe for paralysis, and getting outpaced by the technology. You cannot wait forever. At some point, you have to jump. You can still keep improving later.

3. Changes to skills and ailments and whatnots are fine, and always needed. But it is a permanent process. No matter what you change, some clever bugger will always find an ā€œultimateā€ trick, and you will need to change it again. And again. And again. Thatā€™s the way this type of game goes. Which raises the question: isnā€™t focusing on them now a bit of a ā€œcart before horsesā€ move?
    I would say complete the game with the skills as they are. You will have time to change them later, in each and every seasonā€¦ If you wait for a ā€œperfectā€, immutable skills system before finishing the gameā€¦ Well, it will never happen. This is simply impossible.

Conclusion:
I uninstalled LE in March. I said at the time I would come back once the campaign is finished and more classes are available. But the longer it takes, the less I am sure I will come back at all.
Nowadays I just pop in once a month or so to check if anything is happening. (It is not, people donā€™t even bother posting builds anymore).

Please, EHG, finish your MP if you must.
But after that, ā€œlaunchā€ your game. By 2030, we will all be playing different things. On different computers.
And I have always read you want a ā€œseasonsā€ system anyway. The key point of such a system is that you donā€™t need to be perfect at launch, you can tweak / improve every 3-4 monthsā€¦

2 Likes

Honestly, I have been involved in development projects my entire life - either doing them myself or as part of a team or actually being the project sponsorā€¦ Its all normal to me - I dont see anything concerning about what EHG is currently doing and how its progressed in the pastā€¦ In fact, all things considered, it could be in a FAR FAR worse situation.

Even without scope creep and things like refactoring code big development projects like this take time - especially with small teams and limited fundsā€¦ and sometimes throwing money & resources at a problem can have the opposite effect too.

Besides understanding the nuances of development like this, I am also far more patient than I expect the general public to beā€¦ I also consider the existing game to be well worth its box price - I have more than enjoyed what is available for the price I paid and have ZERO negativity around the possibility of the game never launchingā€¦ When viewed from this perspective its much more relaxingā€¦

I also dont attribute so much emotional baggage to games (or any form of optional entertainment)ā€¦ It really doesnt matter to me as much as it seems to matter to other people who like me, have no skin in the game, financially or otherwiseā€¦

I also honestly do not understand the current trends of demanding things now/immediately/asap and getting worked up emotionally when demands are not met - my mind just doesnt work like that and its very difficult for me to understand how people can behave like thatā€¦

Do I want it to be successful? yes. Do I want to play more content with new classes? yes. Would I be disappointed if it never launched? Yes, but Iā€™d move on in a literal heartbeat.

Philosophy aside.

• Taking advantage of the market space re D4 and PoE2 and any other game? Sure, thats the business side of the gaming industry and yes, there is an opportunity cost of not taking advantage of thisā€¦ But honestly, its just a HUGE industry that there is, imho, more than enough to go around, especially for indie development to be profitableā€¦ Just trying to beat anotehr game to market for profit reasons and launching something thats technically crap is 100% guaranteed to be a failure. And just glancing at my steam library, I have plenty of ARPGs that I have played over the yearsā€¦ they all got my money anywayā€¦ when they launched made no differenceā€¦

• Performance & technical improvementsā€¦ There are two sides to thisā€¦ stability and performanceā€¦ at the moment, LE must address the stability issues that are caused by in-game settings related to visual quality/bugs/etcā€¦ those are a must - no-one wants to play a game that crashes or looses progressā€¦ Performance wiseā€¦ This is a decision that the devs need to make - i.e. pick a goalpost and do that - e.g. 1080p, Medium quality, 60fps average on X class GPU and Y class CPU when playing all content areasā€¦ ā€¦ once this is achieved, performance dev is done to a sufficient level. any tweaking beyond that is bonus but not needed. EDIT: Netcode / online services would fall into both categories re stability and performance - again making sure its stable bug wise and meeting whatever goalpost is set for network / server performance.

• Game balancing etcā€¦ that is a continual thingā€¦ Even GD released a huge number of balance changes in their last patch and that game has been out of dev for yearsā€¦ What they do need to do complete all skills and get them all to the same level - a side effect of a long dev cycleā€¦ If they dont do that, then the potential for clever buggers is very high as will there be disappointment on game launch when people realise entire skills are meh (like Black Hole etc).

I ALWAYS recommend to people that they dont participate in EA Beta games unless they understand the process and have the patience and emotional detatchment required to handle the long dev cycles and the very real possibility that the game may never be done to their liking or could even fail.

4 Likes

PoE still isnā€™t done after 5 or 6 years and still experiences game breaking, and player attitude breaking , changes.
PoE 2 is not going to be a problem to keep people away from LE.
Am i being controversial ?

Meanwhile iā€™m very happy with the fact that EHG emphasizes correctness and stability. Do i wish the new classes were here tomorrow ? YES. Am i going to quit because itā€™s taking ā€œlonger than it shouldā€ ? NO.

if it drags on too long, could that be a problem ? yes. and I think EHG is keenly aware of that.

1 Like

Wow, awesome! Canā€™t wait, letā€™s go !!

PoE 2 is also not going to be any different in that regard, all it is is a different campaign, some new classes & ascendancies. GGG have done a phenomenal job of rebranding it.

2 Likes

I had made an application back when the first post came but received no response, should I re-apply againšŸ¤”?

New supporter/player here. Looks like EHG really keeps in contact with their community. Been watching a few of the Devā€™s youtube streams. Thanks for the link to the Dev Q&A ā€œleaksā€.

1 Like

Keeping an eye on the ailment changes as itā€™s my favorite way to build. Especially frostbite after the inclusion of snowdrifts and the other support and options the ailment has gotten over the last few updates. Iā€™m always leery of these kinds of changes but Iā€™m cautiously optimistic.

1 Like

No trade updates. Please post them as soon as possible so i can decide if i play this game.

Hey there!

When watching the dev stream with Zizaran yesterday the devs said they are looking to alpha test their first trading system next week in the closed multiplayer beta.

From what I was able to gather it seems like theyā€™re looking into having a soft-trade system, just not sure if that is also coming with patch 0.9.

From the Last Epoch website:

Trade Coming Soon

Buy, sell, and trade your gear through the Bazaar. Become a master of the economy, and the right item will make you rich! More info to come.

Where was that from on the website? Looks like something that @EHG_Kain could do with fixing 'cause they dumped the idea of the bazaar a long time ago.

Edit: And while heā€™s at it, the crafting video here could do with being reworked since itā€™s several iterations out of date.

There is a big: The Ultimate Action RPG section when you scroll down the website, linked it from there.