Selling skill shards

I have about 34,000 skill shards in my inventory. That equates to just under .5 million in gold.

I have about 2000 runes I’ll never use. That equates to about 400,000 in gold.

I can’t figure out any way to return the runes/skill shards to a vendorable state.

Is this even possible?

Not at the moment no. Before they reworked the crafting UI you could manually remove shards/runes one by one & put them back in your inventory.

I really think they ought to allow selling shards from your crafting inventory. And you really should be able to do so en masse (choose how many to sell at once). As it is, it’s just punishing you for sending your shards there from your main inventory, because you can never get them back out. Also, they should make it easier to sell shards from your inventory. Currently, hovering over a shard brings up a massive tooltip that blinds you to everything else in your inventory, so when vending, it makes it really hard to go through all the shards, determining what to sell and not.

But why do you want to sell the shards? Just hit the “transfer to crafting” button & your inventory is clear.

There may be people who only focus on one class/build and therefore want to get rid of shards that they will never use and make profit out of it. But that’s why the game needs more mechanics first to make gold more valuable…or trading.

But there’s nothing (at the moment, as you say) for them to use that gold for, so what does it matter if they have higher numerical digits in their shard stash compared to their gold value?

If it matters to them, who are we to judge?

1 Like

It’s true what you say. Since unique gambling is gone, the only reason for having more gold right now is to gamble items for crafting. Maybe thats op’s reason for selling them.

Also true.

If they’re after gold for gambling crafting bases, there are far more “efficient” ways of getting it. The time spent (manually) sifting through shards in your inventory could be better spent killing mobs & getting gold (or crafting bases with a decently set up item filter). So I’m not sure one could construct a good argument for it on that basis (IMO).

1 Like

The first time I created a Solo hero, I started to sell all shards that were for other classes.
I rapidly stopped.

I am a new player, so am (was) not aware of the value of gold. Still better to have gold than useless shards imo. Good to know that you can’t gamble for uniques, I thought that only applied to some of them. Gold can still be used for gambling and stash tabs, but I hope they give us more and better ways to spend it.

Yep they introduced monolith timeline exclusive rewards and removed unique gambling for it in 0.8.3.

I also never thought about the gold value of shards. The devs are planning to implement more gold sinks in the future so the value of the unused shards will likely play a role sometime in the future.
Then , to my mind, the will have to make shards sellable.

I would love to be able to throw/sell shards away just because of the new crafting system in the upcoming patch. Want to start fresh to get the full experience. But I don’t want to throw my unique collection away so no save delete.

Just create a new char on Solo challenge mode… SSF

That does exactly what you want and lots of people use this for the exact reasons you mention…

From the game guide:

Solo Challenge: This creates a character whose stash, gold, and crafting materials are separate from all other characters. This is generally referred to as a Solo Self Found (SSF) character. On the character select screen these characters will have the Solo tag.

I still want to share the unique/set found on new character though so solo is not ideal

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.