Save files transferred from other steam account

my friend who also owns this game let me borrow his laptop while i was at his house.
we do NOT have steam family or shared library or whatever that is. we have all our account separate.
i logged his steam out and signed in with mine. logged in with my LE credentials and i had his saves in my character list.
i signed out after playing and when i signed in at home, his saves had cloud synced to my home device.
while not the biggest of issues, i worry that if, say, i was using his device and deleted the saves on MY account that belonged to him, theyd be deleted from HIS cloud save. i didnt test it at the time as we didnt have time.
i did search for the saves and apparently theyre in the registry…? seems like an odd choice to me, but im sure theres reasons, but what im guessing is it isnt properly sorting by steamID.

Saves are not in the registery. They are in AppData/LocalLow (pretty common for save data on games).

From my understanding of Saves, there shouldn’t be any problem with you deleting “his” characters from your side, as (singple player) saves are all stored locally. The game doesn’t have logic setup to have saves stored seperately for different logins on the same computer, it just saves them all to the same spot.

So what happened is this: When you logged into his computer on Steam, Steam saw the discrepancy in your AppData/LocalLow/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Saves folder, and downloaded your save information from the cloud (it is somewhat interesting that it didn’t override his, but I digress) onto his computer. This merged your save files, essentially, so that you have his and your characters. When you finished your session on his laptop, Steam took the whole Save folder and uploaded it to your steam cloud.

When you got to your normal computer, steam then resynced from the cloud, and you now had all the files on yours. However, when he logs back into steam with his account on his laptop, he should see his characters (and probably yours as well) because the saves ares till locally on his machine. BUT since he’s on a different steam account as you, if he deletes “your” characters from his account or you delete “his” characters from your account, it shouldn’t effect the other account’s cloud backups.

If you’re really concerened though, just make copies of both computer’s save folders before you delete anything so you can restore it if something goes wrong.

This is certainly a strange edge case for single player + steam backup shenanigans, but the game shouldn’t have this problem with multiplayer characters when that gets implemented, as those saves will almost certainly be saved non-locally.

I do think it’s curious that his characters (or stash!) didn’t override yours (or vice versa), can he confirm that his charactesr are intact? He might want to make a copy of his backup data from Steam (Sign In) before he logs back in, in case your login did override his data.

just a remark about the save location: i had googled it and it was the top few results.

it seems to be the same forum as this one, but im guessing it was out of date, so i must apologise.
yeah, we checked and his characters are fine, mine are fine, i didnt copy his stash or items or gold, it was just literally the characters. had their names, levels, allocated points, equipped gear.
i fully understand and recognize the game isnt, in its release, going to work on this save system, but just letting ya know anyway in case it does have further implications. it is DEFINITELY an oddity.
im wonderng if i should mark the thread as solved simply due to it being something that will not exist in the release or whenever we get the server-based saves.
just thought of now, when i was on his laptop, he was playing on his desktop and wouldve made a “newer” cloud save. when he goes back to the laptop, he will download that cloud save and overwrite … well actually thatd be interesting to know. ill keep you posted for when he comes back.

quick update: when he went on his laptop, it cloud synced the save from his desktop. removed my saves and stash from his laptop, so it was as it “should have been”.

im awful sorry about how confusing it might be, with different accounts, people, and devices.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.