Running game ends up in a pink screen and failure to launch

C:\Users[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch <<< this does not exist on my pc?

Hi I bought the game on Sunday and played without problems. Yesterday I tried to load it up again but several times I got ‘not responding’ and despite waiting, the problem didn’t fix itself. Eventually I started getting a red exclamation mark on a white square with the LE logo on it, and then the launcher would close.

I followed tips to check my windows updates, latest graphic drivers, cpu and gpu performance checks. Nothing. Today I tried to run it again, and I got the same problem but this time after the launcher quit on me, my desktop turned pink. A strange pink hue over everything. I checked my monitor, and the cables (tested on another pc) and reinstalled my graphics drivers. My monitor went back to normal on a restart.

I uninstalled LE through steam and redownloaded and installed again (I’d tried verify after the first time it failed to launch) and I got the exact same problem, down to the weird pink tint on my desktop.
DxDiag.txt (84.6 KB)

Help would be much appreciated

Thank you

Are you replacing [username] with your username?

yes I am. There’s no appdata folder which is very strange as I’m pretty sure I’ve had it for other games. No LocalLow either. Nor the rest

There’s definitely an AppData folder.

Could you try following the steps in this support article by Microsoft?

I have no idea why, as I haven’t changed a thing except download this game, but the ‘appdata’ folder has been moved to a new user called ‘default.migrated’ and there’s only a ‘Local’ folder in it, and nothing inside of that.

My pc is also now telling me I’m not allowed to access hidden files despite me definitely being the administrator of my own private pc. I think while I wait for further help I’ll run a virus scan.

Hello any update on this? I think LE failure to launch properly is causing the pink screen issue. I tried launching path of exile and I had no graphics problems. I do run LE through steam, perhaps I should try it without the steam launcher?

To fix the problem with the pink tint to my desktop I have to remove my graphics card (device manager not physically) and restart my pc or revert to windows drivers.

Well, I can’t play the game then. I understand you are busy but it sucks to pay for a game I can’t play. I just don’t understand how I was able to play it the first time I opened it but then not again.

Hey… Welcome to the forums…

Sorry you seem to be having all these hassles…

1. A pink hue to a screen when loading something graphical is usually driver related (especially if something physical has not happened to your monitor or graphics card)… I see from the dxdiag file (right at the end) that the Radeonsoftware.exe (one of your graphic card related services) is crashing. This is a bad sign. I would recommend that you reset your graphics driver completely… You may even have to go into windows safe mode to do this correctly or use something like DDU to remove and reinstall the newest drivers correctly to make sure that you do not have corrupted graphics drivers.

2. default.migrated is a folder created when you upgrade windows from one version to the next and it migrates your user information. It should have no bearing after a successful upgrade and is simply kept as “just in case” by the upgrade process.

3. You definitely have an %appdata% folder under your current username. Your windows installation would be seriously borked if you did not. If you have enabled viewing of hidden and system files you will definitely be able to view this by simply browsing your C: drive to the Users folder showiung ALL local users on your system… There you should see your Username as a folder… nagivating through that you should then see Appdata and Local / LocalLow and roaming…

4. Not being able to see hidden files seems odd to me and points to something generally wrong with your system - you may get a similar message regarding older files from before the upgrade or from other user accounts that require you to take ownership of etc but if you really are a local admin on your own machine then it should just confirm admin priviledges and let you do what you want to do. If its not allowing this then you have bigger problems than just playing LE.

5. Your system is pretty old (with a newer RX580) - when last did you do proper maintenance? Update BIos etc? A clean OS reinstall? When last did you open the system and do a physical clean and make sure everything is plugged in and the cooling is running properly? LE is in beta and can be very performance intensive and can cause components to overheat or stress things that previously where strolling along fine. Any bottlenecks like the one between your older CPU & newer GPU can cause issues with performance and stability so its best to make 100% sure everything is running smoothly and playing nice.

6. Also make sure that you are not using any other applications & graphical overlays etc while trying to play LE…

Hi I’ve done a physical clean. Everything looks good. There wasn’t much dust at all. I use an air duster to get in between the layers of the gpu. It’s still connected properly and I can’t see any damage.

I loaded up the software for the card which is a new download as of the same day LE failed to launch, since I wanted to get the latest drivers. I’ve noticed that now there’s a bunch of stuff available for customisation and that includes allowing the gpu software to take control of game settings. Will removing the new gpu software help? I’m afraid it’ll also uninstall the drivers.

Oh, and the graphics file is now included
le_graphicsmanager.ini (489 Bytes)

Edit: I have found this comment:

"AMD Radeon Settings → Settings (Gear icon) → Display → Custom Color = OFF
After updating, Radeon decided I’d want this, it made everything look horribly washed out, it was after a few messy blue screens due to AMD not playing nice with Vega cards anymore, so I was assuming the worst, but it was just AMD thinking I wanted my screen to look horrible.
Posting this mostly for anyone who googles it, because all I saw in google searches was “get a new cable” or “your gpu is dying”. "

So I’ve changed that setting and I will try to run the game again now.

I tried to run it through steam and both the game and steam closed down. But no graphical errors this time.

Edit: Verified the game files twice with no problems. LE will not go past the initial loading screen, and exits with a big red exclamation mark on the LE logo inside a white box. Steam did not close this time.

Edit: I turned off Avast for ten minutes and tried again. Same result.

Edit: Event Viewer

Faulting application name: Last Epoch.exe, version: 2019.4.8.30749, time stamp: 0x5f2ac944
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2019.4.8.30749, time stamp: 0x5f2acab1
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000587079
Faulting process ID: 0xf48
Faulting application start time: 0x01d74d9dde058755
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Last Epoch\Last Epoch.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Last Epoch\UnityPlayer.dll
Report ID: a4e0c039-13ce-4ae8-9dc7-554b3680267f
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

Fault bucket 2172111739307276400, type 4
Event Name: APPCRASH
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: Last Epoch.exe
P2: 2019.4.8.30749
P3: 5f2ac944
P4: UnityPlayer.dll
P5: 2019.4.8.30749
P6: 5f2acab1
P7: c0000005
P8: 0000000000587079
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER171D.tmp.dmp
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1856.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1896.tmp.xml
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER1894.tmp.csv
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp\WER18F3.tmp.txt

These files may be available here:
\?\C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_Last Epoch.exe_3527b9d6f1c3b244ee47e9ef48b4a6e83cac8ca0_c45198f4_1de6a633-4cf0-4c5b-b33c-4d09e56b2fea

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: a4e0c039-13ce-4ae8-9dc7-554b3680267f
Report Status: 268435456
Hashed bucket: 548867334b8e8645be24e41e59ddb870

Me again

POE stopped loading too, so I completely removed the AMD radeon software and drivers, restarted and let windows put my old drivers back. POE now starts no problem. However, LE still won’t start but there’s a different effect now: a black screen with just my mouse pointer. An error message about an exception came up but I can’t remember what it said.

Hey…

My gut feeling is that there is something very wrong on your machine…

The kinds of issues that you are having with graphics drivers causing crashing and BSOD are very worrying… rolling back drivers is sometimes required but not normal and the wide variety of problems you are having that are not even LE related isnt good…

My instinct is to tell you to do a clean WIndows 10 install - for the following reasons:

1. You are using older hardware with an upgraded OS that may still have older drivers and files causing problems
  2. You did an upgrade from one OS to another - in my experience this NEVER makes for a stable long term well running system… There are always things that seem to rear their heads and systems end up bloated with stuff no longer needed.
  3. You are getting errors related to hardware drivers - never a good sign on windows as it becomes very difficult to make 100% sure that the problem drivers are correctly & completely replaced…

I would suggest the following:

1. Backup your personal stuff & savegames from all games.
  2. Record all your serial numbers etc
  3. Do any hardware and motherboard bios updates needed
  4. Do a clean install of Windows 10 (you dont need to do an upgrade again - microsoft should allow online activation on the same hardware). Be sure to run updates after installation & activation. (see here)
  5. Do a full graphics driver installation - dont install the Radeon bloatware - just the basic drivers & configuration tools.
  6. Be sure to install all the latest windows 10 drivers for anything in your machine…

Obviously this is a big task but all things considered its what I personally would do… (and do at least once a year anyway.)

Hi, I just wanted to clarify I’ve never had a BSOD, I had issues with my new driver software (or bloatware as you called it) deciding I needed a colour transformation without asking me. Once I discovered the utterly stupid ‘pink hue to every thing on the desktop’ option I turned it off and all was well again.

I’m aware I have an old machine but I’ve had no problems for years that couldn’t be solved and right now my pc and gpu work well on everything else but this game. Since I put myself in a mess by trying to update everything and having to roll back the graphics drivers I’m wary of doing so again. I upgraded to Win 10 years ago and definitely had problems back then.

I play POE, D3, Grim Dawn, WoW, ESO and an awful game called Wolcen once - these are the closest to LE I can think of. What is different about LE to those games in terms of graphics?

If I can’t resolve this without pulling apart my entire pc I think I’ll have to just admit defeat, as the risk to all the other games which run fine isn’t worth it.

Obviously all up to you… Its not what I would do but then I have been involved in tech for decades and its nothing for me to build/rebuild/reinstall a machine that is showing issues like the ones you are describing. I have spent days ensuring a “perfect” clean installation on a machine making sure absolutely everything is working… maybe I am crazy that way.

Please dont tell me you have not done a reinstall in 10 years? If that is true you deserve a medal - and I am not being facetious… I have never had a end user PC running any version of Windows that didnt benefit from a reinstall after a year or two due to general slowdown, bloat and crap that general usage and bad software leaves around.

Regarding other games and things running - you cannot really compare apples with apples with this example… when these games came out (except for the crapshow called Wolcen), your system & setup was much newer and probably in-line with the requirements of these games - from both a software and hardware perspective and the old addage of “if its not broke dont fix it” applies… If you never installed another newer version of any software then everything should, in theory, work fine forever…

However as game engines and game complexity changes so does how newer games function to take advantage of newer software (like DirectX), software features (e.g. Unity game engine updates & RTX/DLSS) and newer hardware (GPUs, higher memory, faster harddrives etc)… Games written “want” to take advantage of this (sometimes its for hype reasons) and to do so, it becomes harder to make the software work on older configurations (hardware & software) and developers may chose not to or be unable (for whatever reason) to dedicate the time to making their games more graceful on older systems… Its like Adobe Photoshop - arguably the best photo editing app ever made… yet… every few years they come out with a new version that technically runs on the same machine that their customer had been using but its now dog slow or requires so much more memory that the customer has to upgrade just to be able to use it as efficiently as they had been… If the customer stayed using the older version then nothing would need to change…

Anyway… my recommendation would still be to do a clean reinstall of your machine… and thats got nothing to do with LE.

Aside: Patch 0.8.2 lands on monday… it is a huge patch update so it may have a direct impact on your problems… maybe, maybe not… but its worth waiting to see if it made any change…

Hi!

Even before I read the last post you made I changed my mind and went for a windows reinstall after backing up. I absolutely do not doubt you know what you are talking about, and never did. I totally appreciate the time you took to help me out. The reason I changed my mind? POE died on me twice and I got the same exception errors.

So since I did ‘reset my pc’ I have: done all the windows updates, downloaded the newest gfx drivers and drivers for other relevant hardware, downloaded steam and have just finished downloading LE again. I shall restart my pc before attempting anything more. Wish me luck!

SUCCESS!!!

LE says ‘not responding’ a lot but still loads now. I am going to exit the game and start it again, since it worked the first time I ever downloaded it then didn’t.

Edit: It started again!

Massive thank you for spending so much time with me when you’ve got so much going on. Feel free to change the title of the thread to reflect the fact that LE was not responsible for any of my issues. Looking forward to playing it tonight!!

Highly impressed with customer service from the very start :slight_smile:

Hey…

Wonderful news - hope it has actually worked when you finally get to play again…

Glad you went the route of doing a re-install… Never a bad thing imho.,… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just remember a few things:

1. A big patch drops on Monday/Tuesday . 0.8.2 - could affect lots of things around stability and performance… hopefully for the better but only time will tell.

2. Its a beta and has performance issues so dont push the in-game settings - play on low/very low settings and remember to set the framerate limit (for your spec, nothing higher than 60fps) - eye candy can come later… :wink:

3. Be sure to backup your last epoch folder regularly and make sure to verify the files in Steam every so often to make sure you are not trying to play the game with some corrupted files…

Good luck and enjoy playing…

ps… if after you have played for a while, and its fixed then you can set the thread to solved…
pss… I dont work for EHG… just a normal player like you… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Well I hope they just saw you were already helping me and didn’t need to respond rather than just ignoring me. You definitely should work for them, at least on these forums. Thanks again, at least I was heard. Without that I would have opened a dispute somewhere!

Enjoying the game so far and I’m aware that it’s still new so I’m giving it a chance :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.