Rune of Winter Shock Chance Conversion

Is Rune of Winter supposed to convert the shock chance from the Volatile Lightning node to chill chance? It doesn’t say so on the skill while it does say so Supercharged Floes. It looks like it does convert but I’m not sure.

I don’t think it is or at least I wasn’t able to get Chill to proc when I tried

With nothing but 4 points in Volatile Lightning on Lightning Blast, 1 point in Rune of Winter and no gear on the only aliment I could get to proc was Freeze. You don’t even seem to get the shock chance since you aren’t doing lightning damage anymore either?

I think without Supercharged Floes there’d be no way to chill with just Rune of Winter on Lightning Blast - looks to be the same with Volcanic Orb\Winter’s Fury too. Kind of weird to double dip on the lighting to cold conversion taking both the mage and spell passive nodes but I guess you could forgo Supercharged Floes\Winter’s Fury and gain your Chill chance from Arcane Wind and Ice and Fire.

Rune of Winter is kind of weird as a passive imo. It’s the only Mage Base Class passive that targets a spell directly like this. All the others indirectly give your spells more damage with extra stats, ele damage modifiers, etc. Arcane Wind and Ice and Fire make sense; they are more generalized in what they do. Rune of Winter would make more sense if it enhanced the two natural cold spells in the base mage spell kit rather than converting damage types on two base mage spells that already have spell specific passives to convert their damage to cold.

It’d be cool if the new tooltips would update with their different aliment chances as we spec into them. That way we wouldn’t need to guess at the chance our skills have for different aliments. Natural Cold spells like Glacier and Ice Barrage have their freeze rate multipliers in the expended tooltips so it’d be nice to see Lightning Blast and Volcanic Orb get the same treatment when you spec into Rune of Winter\Supercharged Floes\Winter’s Fury.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.