Rethinking the 'developers as gods' design philosophy

Difficulty - Official Grim Dawn Wiki, Difficulty (T2) | Torchlight Wiki | Fandom, https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Difficulty

All have difficulty that impacts the difficulty of the mobs directly though increased/decreased damage or defence scaling. LE doesnt have this simple system at the moment - its just has the single mode, shared stash, single life hardcore and mascochist (the only difficulty mode choice available right now)…

LE is currently ONLY offline mode… the version we are all playing is offline with local savegames and local stash. Online mode only comes in when EHG launched the online multiplayer features. The only thing that is online right now is the game verification login & chat… nothing in the game proper is online right now.

Hmm. I could swear there wasn’t one there. I wonder if that doesn’t show up for accounts that have not progressed to “Ardent Gladiator”? I could see that being the case, as it would block people from creating new accounts just to flag comments.

Yep, never played any of them. But I’ll consider them in the future, thanks.

Okay, I wasn’t aware this was considered offline, since we have to log in. I would say that to me offline means no internet connection, but even that I’d have to qualify because some games will let you keep playing and then upload progress when you get back online. To me offline doesn’t even have that. It’s completely offline, period. But logging in I don’t really care about. Still, the point is, having such a mode may not impact LE as negatively as some people fear.

Warning: long writeup

This isn’t a PvP game where fragmentation hurts matchmaking. It matters over there if you need to wait 2 minutes instead of 20 seconds to find an opponent. PvE endurance/speed runs are asynchronous and self-matched by chosen modifiers. A title like “Arena 1000 Solo Masochist HC” inherently carries more weight than “Arena 1000 SC” or “Arena 1000 SC Easy Mode”. Hades has a speedrunning community that checks a pool of 15 endgame difficulty modifiers with up to 4 ranks (heat). Most go high heat but not necessarily max (32) to avoid mods that brick their builds. Some play “fresh file” (SSF, literally fresh install) before heat is even unlocked.

Halo is even more “fragmented”; there’s Halo 5 on console, Halo 3 diehards, Halo 2 Remastered fans, legacy CE players in original graphics, Halo 4/Reach players, Forge custom map players, campaign players, even Firefight endurance runners. Difficulty comes in both traditional modifiers and “skulls” (e.g. Catch On - AI enemies spam grenades). Some people take this all the way with LASO (Legendary All Skulls On); that doesn’t make it the “authoritative” version of the game. Far fewer people would play if that was the case.

So I agree that optional modifiers could add value, just not “prepackaged” or “curated” difficulties. Solo, Hardcore, and Masochist are modifiers, not fully-fledged independent game modes with different content. They change one thing at a time and assume nothing else about how you’d like to play. For example, you can experience Masochist without losing all your items in HC, or go HC without Masochist. Some people will say “but you can’t please everyone”. This is often understood as meaning that you shouldn’t even try; just “pick a lane” - my lane. That is where the forums usually blow up. Even concessions like “optional” and “Hard mode” don’t necessarily get through.

Practically speaking, there’s no stopping people from modding an offline client. There’s no stopping “casuals” from purchasing LE for $35. Those ships have sailed. The real choice is how EHG approaches actual player behavior. They could add an official “Mod” folder or even something like SC2’s map editor or Halo’s Forge. They could neglect offline/customs and enforce a “core” online experience like PoE or League of Legends. The latter is a consolidation strategy for a “winning formula” that’s been mainstream for years. This is the idea behind Riot Games saying they wanted to make League last generations, behind real-life sports, behind those mediocre movie franchise reboots.

LE is nowhere near finished, never mind “winning formula”. Many people play it precisely because it does away with the most unpopular “features” in PoE (flask spam, splinters, doors, gamble crafting, sockets/links, trade balanced loot). It also does things that “go backwards” from that perspective (separate atlas per character, “chase” uniques, gambling, vaal bricks, mana regen). OP and others are suggesting that it doesn’t have to be a binary fork between “full casual” and “Balance Manifesto”. I would even say that both sides are not equal. A game with more of PoE’s “sticks” and fewer “carrots” can’t compete on the same axis. It needs more of the fresh ideas, and they’re harder to find when everyone plays the same way.

1 Like

To summarize, the less options there are, the more one group is telling everyone else how to play the game.

Alot of stuff i read in this forum worries me alot. I really hope the devs have a clear development plan in head and are able to really keep the core mechanics of an arpg alive and wont get influenced too much by what people say or write. Cause some of the stuff people write here is completely absurd.

1 Like

to my knowledge, they’ve never made known a public roadmap.

this is a feedback forum, it’s specifically designed to influence what the developers think. also what you think an arpg is supposed to be is specific to you, most people would disagree that your version of design is 100% accurate and good. (from what I’ve personally seen of you, which admittedly isn’t a lot, you have a very unpopular opinion of what this game needs.)

Typing your opinion into a forum is one thing, but writing something thats so absurd and detached from reality is beyond my understanding. And yes, Last Epoch calls itself an arpg and i expect it to be exactly that.

1 Like

Just a friendly reminder to please be civil on forums when speaking to other community members.

Thanks.

thanks llama, always gotta preface my statements with “to my knowledge” because i know you’re here to keep me straight.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.