Remove Sets from game

Here Again… I feel it’s my duty to give you my feedback because these are the only type of games i play.

This one is simple remove sets from game, sets are the ancient past of Arpg, no new Arpg should limit possible builds by adding sets… This request is more my opinion then some thing thats really needed. if you must have sets i suggest sets are 1/10 to the amount of uniques you create for game. this allows for more no set builds.

1 Like

Your looking at sets way to much like D3 does. Sets don’t really work like that in LE.
Currently sets are either 2 piece or 3 piece which allows for a lot of building around.

This just simply isn’t true. Adding a set does not limit possible builds, in face quite to contrary it adds minimally 1 additional build.

3 Likes

I would say no, cause you then have to hunt for that other pieces instead of using a different unique and then changing what passives or skills used… PSA… I’m a POE addict so I’m very bias in what i like lol POE doesn’t have sets so all new arpg should cast them away too lol this is 100% my opinion

I respect your opinion, mine is that I would rather see LE put their own spin on Sets rather than just cast them away and be like PoE

6 Likes

I agree with that on 100%.
N good uniques = set of N items.
But 2N uniques potentially allow to create more builds than 2 sets of N items.

Sets is just an obsolete mechanics.
The only useful thing it provides is visual harmony between set-items.

Yes, adding new set adds new builds. But adding that set as a couple of independent uniques adds more builds than just one set. Because you can combine every single item with others - non-set-uniques.

1 Like

Yesterday i started playing the Tornado build with Saqawal set :stuck_out_tongue:

And I suppose “removing” Saqawal and any N-item set means replacing it with N perfectly fitting uniques to provide you same satisfaction from saving timelines :slight_smile:.

Hm, I guess that’s and idea: change topics name from “remove sets” to “replace sets with uniques”. It fits the purpose.

A set IS a couple of independent uniques, that when put together give an additional bonus. You can use set items right now as independently as you can you can uniques.

I use Forgotten blade (as do a lot of others) as its own unique and don’t both with the shield.

I don’t know why you guys think sets are mandatory to put together in LE right now, in fact very few even use them as a set, most are currently combined with uniques. The only 2 piece set I can think of that even does super well at end game is shattered set with the HP regen

You all combine exsanguois and last steps of the living together all the time, you might as well call it a set with how much it synergizes. Did making it 2 separate uniques instead of a set make it better?

TLDR - With how sets are currently implemented I don’t understand this post, because each item can currently be used independently.

8 Likes

I just think that the bad reputation towards sets comes from d3. I remember that the hunt for d2 and vanilla d3 sets was quite exciting back then. But what we see on d3 leaderboards now is just frustrating and completely destroyed build diversity. It’s not fun seeing everyone playing the exact same build like you do because it’s too strong and too efficient to farm with.
I never saw a problem with sets in LE. They are not powerful enough to compete with other non set builds but allow a new and unique playstyle. So in the current state i think we dont need to fear sets becoming too powerful and mandatory. Shard of the shattered lance is also a set piece but i only like to use it alone for my shatter strike build.

2 Likes

Ok, I guess I got your point.

1st set-item → 1 unique bonus.
2nd set-item - 2 unique bonuses

The difference is about gaining same unique bonuses with the same amount of set-items but with any their combination: leggins + helmet = helmet + gloves = gloves + leggins or even leggins = gloves = helmet. So it’s finished additional mechanics.

You convinced me :sweat_smile: .
Thanks.

Yes :disappointed_relieved:.

But, but, but, that’s how D2 & 3 did sets & eeeeeeeeeeeverybody knows that all aRPGs function mechanically the same!!! Hell, LE uses resists, just like D2 & 3! That’s PROOF!!!1 that everything in LE works the same as D2 & 3!One.

2 Likes

Fine. Remove sets. Add Rune words. A happy sacrifice I wont judge.

You’re just doubling down on the “lets do things the same as the Diablo franchise”, aren’t you?

$$ has to go somewhere

@Llama8
@boardman21
Arrgh, my knowledge of English is to bad to understand where this all was going and probably continues to go :frowning: . Was this all a some kind of irony between you two? I honestly can’t understand the tone :sweat_smile: .

you see it like a limitation while i don’t

Sets do not limit the possible builds. It’s you who wants to limit the possible builds. You don’t need to use sets, if you don’t want to.

Yeah they were joking around a bit. You didn’t miss anything important :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think the current implementation of sets in LE is fine, as the set bonuses aren’t massive and having multiple set pieces has an opportunity cost in terms of filling out defensive stats.

The way they are designed currently, sets are effectively unique items that get a little extra something if you use them together. The bulk of their power comes from the individual items themselves, at least from what I’ve seen. The trade off for using them together (losing other uniques in those slots or rares that can be crafted to add the exact defensive layers you need) seems fine.

I think a lot of the issue, as others have pointed out, comes from D3’s set design, which was a product of a larger itemization issue. In D3, both vanilla and ROS, sets are basically rare items with one or two set stats, often that could be rolled on another item. This means that getting a good set piece is easier because it already has a stat or two you want, but any other item could roll those exact stats. It also means that if you for some reason don’t care about Cooldown reduction for your build, another item is actually easier to get the stats you want.

In vanilla, with really weak set bonuses, this meant that with only a couple of exceptions, sets were just not useful. The change in ROS basically made all of the power of a set item come from the bonuses, and turned them up to 11 to make them attractive.

This isn’t an issue for LE, since each set item is still designed like a unique, with static stats that often do things you can’t get from affix shards.

TLDR: Set items in LE are basically uniques with a little extra something if you choose to use them together.

Edit: Not sure why it replied to a specific person, was meant as a general reply to the thread.

1 Like

The sets in LE suck. Easy as that. They are designed to be good items on their own and you can use the same multiple times. The concern about “sets” isn’t relevant as long as there are no level 100 sets you need to do the endgame content because it pushes your build like nothing else.

1 Like