Rare Increased Spell Crit Affix - How does this affix actually work?

How does this affix work exactly? I have tried to find a forum or Reddit post that answers this question and didn’t find anything.

To give my perspective, I have this affix (67% roll) on my body piece, and the only other damage boost on the body is 6 intelligence, so nothing huge. This body armor is the core of my build basically, it makes my crits huge (over 11k at level 82 which seems to be doing the job for my nooby homebrewed build) and increased my crit chance considerably. I just recently found a helmet that has the same affix (44% roll) and it makes my crits even bigger (like 19k range), with the only other damage stat being 18% increased elemental damage. The thing is, neither of these pieces alter my crit multiplier which is at 323% whether I have them equipped or not. I knew I was looking for another piece of armor with the Increased Spell Crit affix on it (helm and body are the only pieces that can roll it) because it is such a huge damage boost, but now that I have it I’m confused why it increases my crit damage so much without affecting my crit multiplier. Anybody have insight?

So First, i assume by you saying your spell does 11k and then 19k that your referring to the tooltip DPS?

I dont know the formula for the DPS calculator but getting higher crit chance will increase the DPS shown.

Your actual crits on mobs will do the same damage and critical strike multiplier is an entirely different affix which would increase the actual damage your doing to mobs. Your DPS tooltip goes up from increasing your crit chance because you will crit more often therefor do more damage per second overall even though the crits themselves hit the same. You will find the affix “cast speed/ attack speed” will have the same effect on your DPS tooltip.

If your looking for your actual hits to do more damage on crit. You want crit multiplier / increased spell damage / and increased to the type or added flat to the type of element your doing.

Lastly, if the increased crit chance is actually making your damage on mobs higher then there is another interaction at play and would need to know your skills/passives to help. For instance the gamblers fallacy amulet with ignivars head uniques will give disintegrate much more damage output based on crit chance.

Any % increased crit chance will affect how frequently you crit, not the size of the crits (with the exception of the Disintegrate/Ignivar’s Head interaction that Boardman mentions, but that skill can’t crit).

Any increased crit chance will (obviously) increase you total base/flat added crit chance by the total of any applicable % increased crit chance modifiers.

If the size of your crits has increased then something else has changed, either you have more flat damage, more % increased damage (these are all additive with each other), more % more damage sources (these are all multiplicative) or more crit multi.

Also, I’m sure you’re aware that hit damage has a +/-20% range so that could possibly be part of the reason.

Isn’t it +/-25%?

No, I am not talking about the tooltip when describing my damage. I am talking about approximately my highest damage numbers on crits with and without the helmet. And I know crit multiplier increases crit damage, that’s why I listed my crit multiplier stat. The only 2 things I am changing with the helmet are the extra Increased Spell Crit (the affix that I am asking about) and 18% elemental damage, but I really doubt 8k damage is coming from an 18% increase.