Race to orobyss! -- Community event on july 3rd

Looking forward to watching this.

Great to see community members stepping up and giving us content, such as this race and VisionGL with his tournies.

1 Like

Shhhhh no one has to know. I’ll sneakily rename the next races.

1 Like

Thanks for putting this event on Additional Baker! I just finished my first test run and although on the one hand my time was kinda slow, on the other hand it was my first time playing HC and my first Orobyss kill so you have to start somewhere! Now just need to get faster…

Looking forward to seeing what builds and strategies the other racers go with!

Very cool that you guys are doing this - we appreciate you all banding together to do cool stuff with the community. We’ll definitely tune in

We plan to frequently have official races in the future as well :+1:

3 Likes

Would be nice to know your specific qualifications you are choosing an the reasons why other players who arent main streamers arent being considered.

Thanks for asking!
On the first roster of players I invited some were not streamers, but those unfortunately weren’t able to stream their gameplay due to hardware/internet reasons so we wouldn’t be able to cast their gameplay during the event.
The only means I really have of gauging the skill-set of players is through either tournaments, speedruns or content that they’ve published somewhere - I’ve contacted three of our top speedrunners, two of which are participating, and about 8+ of the top 5 tournament contenders in recent events (again, two of which are participating).
In the future there might be some better way of qualifying players to participate in the event and even expand the amount of simultaneous racers, but until I know everything can run smoothly I can’t really risk casting 8 or 12 games at the same time.
It’s also worth to note that it’s not easy to keep track of all that many games at the same time - it’s harder than it looks! - so both me and our co-caster need to get a grasp of the whole thing before we venture into larger scale events.

1 Like

I understand, also this is a race, the tournaments are based on arena type activities, they require different building standards and skillsets, but I respect your reasoning. I will probably have to wait until an official race from EHG since I dont think my streams or content is big enough to be noticed. Thanks for the reply.

Yeah when i read about it on reddit i got excited ! I thought i could try to race in a game where people haven’t optimized everything yet. :stuck_out_tongue:
In the end it’s an event between 4 people that we must witness on stream, and it’s not my cup of tea. Anyway, good luck to all participants, and may the best of you win this race ! (What happens if they die ? they can start over right ?)

1 Like

I can see that being the case for a lot of people. I believe an “open” race like that will be much easier as an EHG organized event than a community organized one, since they’ll have much better means to track and verify players. That’s why I figured it’s a better idea to focus on the entertainment/content side of things (viewer-centered) than the competitive side (participant-centered).
That being said I highly recommend anyone join VisionGL’s arena tournaments, those are open for anyone to enter since it’s trackable through the arena ladder.

And yes, they’re allowed to start over, especially with an early death

2 Likes

Is this still on for today?

I was being asked about it in stream yesterday so I think it’s going ahead as planned

It’s almost finished now.

Finished!

The event is now over.
I know I’m repeating myself but thank you to everyone who helped organize and support the event, the racers and everyone who tuned in to watch! It was a huge pleasure and I hope to be doing more events like this in the future (hopefuly, with many improvements on this first one!).

1 Like

Now that we had this “first” experience, what’s your opinion on: HC or SC, number of players, prizes, invitation only, strategies, etc?

what’s your opinion on: HC or SC

I believe HC was the right move for a general race setting, but if there’s every any further restriction (class, skill, etc) it might be a bit too much. It’s nice to have those tense moments and, at the end of the day, the RIPs are what people are gonna be clipping and highlighting - Goes to show how much more interesting it makes the event.

number of players

Now that I know having 4 streams up at 720p was very smooth I could probably consider upping it to 8. That being said it will be a challenge on the casting side of things and I’d probably need someone behind the curtains to make sure we catch all the fun bits and get to clip them on the spot too.

prizes

This one is a bit awkward to discuss, but I’ll put it this way - From a business perspective it didn’t pay off. I spent 26x what I made (actual numbers). That means either we’d have to find a good way to crowdfund the event or do it more sporadically so I can prepare my pockets. Not only that but despite the cost, the prize pool wasn’t even all that high either, so it’s rough on both sides. Removing prizes lowers the stakes and makes it way less exciting, so it’s not being considered.

invitation only

I personally like and prefer it to be invitation only, but given that the most common negative feedback has been that people want to participate (and people think I’m advertising for my “friends” or something, idk) I’m trying to find a good way to at least have a qualifier set and maybe extend the event with brackets or something similar. We’ll see where that goes.

strategies

There was a lot of stumbling around in the first couple of days in regards to strategies but at the end everyone was pretty much on the same page, with a couple small differences. Now that one race has been done, the information is pretty much out there and it’s likely that an identical race would be very mapped out and similar in approach. I’m probably gonna have a different rule set for the next one so it feels fresh to the viewers and also rewards players for practicing and studying their options and strategies.

1 Like

A potential qualifier could be something like a certain time for other categories to prove that people are at least competent by ways of running in general. For example, maybe a sub 55 minute or 1 hour mastery% run, or a sub 2 any% run, etc. Maybe they haven’t run the specific category for the race itself, but that could be part of the fun! Imagine a future race where the #1 Mastery% runner is competing in something longer like a shade% or all quests race vs other racers, and how that could shape the narrative.

Edit: This would require a longer time between announcement and race, as you could give players time to try and qualify (a week or so, perhaps) before the entry for the race, then a hype period of 1-2 weeks to allow all the racers to practice the run, etc.

Guys nice event but… who won? :smiley:

Hahah I guess that’s a small detail I forgot to mention :sweat_smile:
Congratulations to the winner Binashole and second place NagTV!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.