Questions for Storm Totem "Unmatched Storms" Interaction regarding Freeze

Hi all, Shaman new Storm Totem node “Unmatched Storms” now allow the totem to cast Storm Bolt from Gathering Storm skill tree.

My questions:

1. If I convert the Gathering Storm to Cold, the Cold Storm Bolt cast by Storm Totem scale with whose Freeze Rate Multiplier? Does the Cold Storm Bolt freeze chance scale with my own Freeze Rate Multiplier OR Minion Freeze Rate Multiplier OR Both?
  2. If I take the Gathering Storm “Winter Comes” node, will the Cold Storm Bolt cast by Storm Totem benefit from my Attunement? The node gives +1 % Freeze Rate Multiplier and +1% Frostbite Cold Penetration Per 2 Attunement.

Appreciate if someone can provide me an answer. Thanks!

1. Both. The node specifies it “Benefits from your Storm Totem Tree and your Gathering Storm Tree”.

2. Yes. See 1.

For 1. are you sure it is both? Benefit from both Storm Totem & Gathering Storm trees doesn’t justify the freeze chance will scale with both my AND minion freeze rate multiplier. They are different things. How you make the conclusion?

Someone in Reddit told me the Storm Bolt cast by Storm Totem which is a minion, so the freeze chance will scale with Minion Freeze Rate Multiplier & my Attunement (if Winter Comes node is taken) but NOT Character Freeze Rate Multiplier.

He also told me that the “Benefit from both trees” mean you get all the damage multipliers in trees / inherent +1 Spell damage based on Attunement from Gathering Storm / inherent % increased damage based on Attunement from Storm Totem / Added damage effectiveness / Crit chance in trees / Benefit from Attunement from Winter Comes node etc but Freeze chance is a different case as explained above.

So, Storm Totem is casting Storm Bolt, the Storm Bolt itself “benefits” from both trees (EHG being vague again). So my interpretation is that because the Storm Bolt benefits from both trees, at worst it will benefit from YOUR global freeze rate + any freeze rate in both trees, at best it will benefit from your global freeze rate and your minion global freeze rate and any freeze rate in both trees.

I’m interpreting the second way because the Storm Totem Tree has Minion scaling and storm bolt benefits from the storm Totem Tree when it’s cast by storm Totem. So when you expend a stack and cast storm bolt, it does not get Minion bonuses, if storm Totem casts it it does. Plus it scales with Gathering Storm, which doesn’t have Minion tags but scales with your stats, so it should scale with your global freeze rate as well. There’s honestly no way to test it reliably though.

I suppose you could get your global freeze rate to 0 and get some Minion freeze rate? Or we can try asking @EHG_Mike for clarification on the vague tooltip.

You actually got your point. It is vague based on the tooltip and I have no idea how to test Freeze chance. Let’s ignore all the + Freeze Rate Multiplier in both trees because they always work. Now we break down into TWO scenarios when we talk about how Global Freeze Rate Multiplier (Character & Minion) affect Cold Storm Bolt cast by Storm Totem:

1. The freeze chance of Cold Storm Bolt cast by Storm Totem only affected by Minion Freeze Rate Multiplier because Storm Totem is a minion.
  2. The freeze chance of Cold Storm Bolt cast by Storm Totem affected by Both Character & Minion Freeze Rate Multiplier because Storm Totem is a minion but it uses Gathering Storm which is a Character Skill so both will benefit. (I actually doubt this because this sounds OP to be able to stack both Character & Minion Freeze Rate Multiplier, it could result in Boss PermaFreeze.)

@EHG_Mike Would you mind to provide us a clear answer?

Hi @EHG_Mike I am sorry but I eagerly want to know the answer. Appreciate if you can help to provide us an answer regarding what affect Cold Storm Bolt’s freeze rate that cast by Storm Totem.

I despise this form of game design - its attempt to imply depth where there is none by just being vague or having bad wording around something (like not including what happens what a totem or minion is using something, in this case).

I really hope this is just unintentional, unlike another grinding company where they do it on purpose because they like to pretend their games is something else be just not being clear about stuff and then let people with tiny brains this its depth.