Questions about MoF (new player)

So I just started playing a few days ago, and finally got to through the campaign and am starting Monoliths of Fate. Forgive me if I’m a bit confused with some of the terminology involved, as I’m still getting used to all of it.

So I know that I’m meant to explore the timeline, completing echos and working my way away from the starting point (not sure the official term for the starting point). Once I build up stability, I complete the three quest echoes. I’ve noticed that these echoes open up WELL before the shown max stability of 250.

My first question…is there a benefit of getting 250 stability, or should I be doing the quest echos as soon as they unlock? I noticed after I finished the third quest echo and killed the abomination and chose to open another timeline, Stability in the current timeline took a big hit, but I’m still able to continue moving farther out if I want to.

2nd question: After killing the Abomination, I received a quest to “Complete the other timelines” or “variations of the timelines”. I’m not sure what this meant, so I played through the timeline again and chose to open the higher level timeline. I think this completed the quest, but it wasn’t very clear.

3rd question: Once I beat the boss of a timeline and choose my rewards, should I continue to explore that timeline, or move on to the newly opened (and higher level) one? I assume I’m meant to move to the next one.

4th question: I’ve heard that the rewards in MoF changes daily. I don’t remember if this was referring to the individual echoes, I don’t think this is too big a deal, but if it refers to the after boss timeline rewards…is there a way to see the potential blessing option before running the entire timeline again?

So far I’m enjoying MoF, but most people seem to dislike the system, so we’ll see how that goes after more time.

Thanks in advance!

Up to you… I personally fill up the stack so that I can complete all Mono quests one after another but you can do it whatever way you want to.

Timelines have multiple paths… Look at the map… You will see that there are bridges that can be unlocked between MoF timelines… i.e. two ways to go forward to the next islands… Your quest lists will show incomplete until you do both options for a particular MoF… (dont want to spoil it with more detail)

if this is your first run through, then I would recommend just continuing… you can farm blessings later…

daily… no… its random per run…

You can get more info on all the Mofs here (including what blessings are possible)
Monolith Timelines

Thanks for the info. Most of the answers seem straightforward enough, except for one.

In regards to the “bridges” and other paths, do I have to do anything differently to unlock a specific bridge/path? Or do I just play the Timeline again. In my case, I simply continued building stability and played the 3 quest echoes again (they felt like the same quests, but I could be mistaken). I’ll have to check when I get home from work, but I think completing those 3 again (and killing the abomination again) finished the quest. Or does completing the other “branch” of the timeline simply mean exploring a different section (For example, in my case, i kept going north and east away from the starting point…if the quest means I have to maybe explore south or west of the starting point, it isn’t very clear about it).

Actually…I think I know what it was, but i’m not sure.

After killing the abomination, the spirits ask you whether they should focus on the past or the future…maybe this is the “other branch”?

I"ve seen that Monolith Timeline page before, but I’m not sure if I’m reading it correctly.

It doesn’t actually list blessings that I can see. (actually just noticed that if I click on a timeline, this is shown).

If I’m reading this right, does it mean that (for example), echoes with bows & quivers ONLY show up as echo rewards in Fall of the Outcasts timeline? Does this apply to ALL bows & quivers? Rare/set/unique? I’m hoping that (in this example) bows & quivers can still drop randomly from mobs while I’m fighting in the other timelines, right?

Being a minion build, I’m disappointed that only 1 of the timelines has a blessing that actually increases my damage, but some of the others look interesting.

When a blessing says something like “50% increased two handed staff shard drop rate”, what exactly does that mean? I didn’t know shards were classified by weapon or armor slot.
If that means that shards that can be applied to 2h staffs drop more often, does it also apply to shattering 2h staffs?

So, there is an optimal path which only makes you run the very first mono twice, and all the rest once.

• 1st mono twice (open 62 + 68)
  • Do 62 (opens 70)
  • Do 68 (opens 75)
  • Do 70 (open 80)
  • Do 75 (open 85)
  • Do 80 + 85
  • Do 3 90s.

So essentially, now that I’ve completed the 1st one twice, just do each of the others in level order.

Although I may have to do some again for specific blessings…in my case minion damage, 2h staff shards and maybe helm drops, and maybe a few of the resistances.

A few others have choices as to which path to open, and can cause you to open the same one twice, making you run that mono twice. So, you have to pay attention inside the Quest Echo and make a choice as to which future path to open.

In your example:

Fall of Outcasts…
Under difficulty you will see the Blessings available as rewards for completing the timeline.
Further down the page you will see the Echo Exclusives… In this case Unique or Set Bows or Quiver.
This means that there will be specific echos in the Fall of Outcasts timeline that are guaranteed to drop a Unique or Set Bow/Quiver… You will see the little icon on some of the Islands - if you do those echos you will get a unique/set bow/quiver (random one).

You can still get Bows in other Mof timelines as random drops/rewards, but no guaranteed echo completion reward for Bows. Hope that makes sense.,… e.g. if you were farming bows, then running the Fall of Outcasts would be the place to do it because of the guaranteed echo rewards. BLack Sun Mof would be for Helmets and Shields … etc…

Specific echo rewards like Increased drop rates applies to all MoF echos and just means you have a higher chance of a particular item dropping… For shards its purely that you will have a higher chance that when shards drop, they will be for 2h handed staffs (in your example)… Remember some shards can only be used on specific gear / class gear…

@Zaodon has answered the other question…

Ideally, you will run as fast as possible towards timelines level 90. Then you will do all three and unlock empowered mode. At that moment, you’ll play in empowered mode and try to get the exact blessings you need.

What many players usually do is 58-66-75-85-90-90-90, then in empowered mode they go back to 58 and do 58-62-70-80 then 75 again and all is unlocked.

Don’t remember the right path (the first I gave here) gives buffs and the left path (the second) gives better drop rates.

Apparently there’s a post limit for new members, hopefully I can reply now…

Thanks for the detailed response.

I wonder which gear slot option would give the most minion damage / minion physical damage shards. I’m assuming staff or wands.

You can look up that info too… on another website:

Here is a link to a search result on Dammits Last Epoch Tools website that shows everything that has a Minion affix/gear/etc… Dammits website is great for a lot of things…

Well I finished a few more Timelines, completed the Sanctum dungeon, and had my first try at arena (up to wave 100). Figured I’d post my thoughts in a constructive way.

Sanctum: After the repetition of echoes, this was an awesome experience. Shifting back & forth between time periods gave me serious “old school Zelda” vibes. From reading the forums, I knew ahead of time that I would have to use the dungeon ability during the Julra fight, but I can definitely see how some sort of notification, at least in T1, would be helpful.

The boss fight took longer than I thought it would. I got her down to about 20% very quickly, and then the last 20% took about three times as long as the first 80%. That was a bit annoying. I was a bit disappointed at the end when I got a unique & legendary that wasn’t helpful to me at all, but I wasn’t really prepared with a good exalted item anyway, so its no biggie.

First trial at arena was pretty fun, but I definitely see how this could get repetitive. I didn’t even take any meaningful damage until about wave 90, and then decided to save my progress at 100. Some of the maps were noticeably smaller than others, but at least the waves seemed mostly consistent.

After completing the first 3 timelines, I like the general idea of the gameplay loop. I like having to choose what to focus on, and I like that the echoes are very short. Even the arena waves or the occasional echo that takes longer than usual isn’t too big of a deal. It’s fun, and after making my loot filters a bit more strict so I’m not reading every single rare, it’s not as slow as I was originally making it out to be.

That said, I do have one major criticism about the timeline gameplay. I noticed that the amount of stability I need to complete the timelines is increasing dramatically. I started out needing 125 stability for the quest echoes, and now I need about 400. This is not entirely unexpected, but what I really don’t like is that from what I can tell, you don’t actually gain more stability than you were earlier. Starting out collecting 10 or 12 out of 120 stability doesn’t seem too big a deal, and I can even understand collecting 10 or 12 out of 200 stability for the starting echoes. If I have to complete 20-25 echoes to complete the timeline, keeping in mind that I’m only on the 4th one and that this loop is going to get much longer before I’m in empowered content, I’m anticipating needing to do 60-70 or more echoes to complete timelines in the future. This actually has me thinking that my time might be better spent leveling another character.

Maybe i’m overreacting.

Arena mode is only really for some. Personally I hate it. Supposed to be a way to get on a ladder vs other players but its not really accurate right now… Arena also favours very specific builds - i.e. less single mob damage and skills that stay up for longer etc… - and that can make it hard… and yes… its boring as hell when you get to 100’s of levels…

Dungeons… Well… it is meant to be end-game level content so it cant really be that easy and the game does try to teach you about the time-shift concept before you get to Julra… It caught me out the first time, but once the penny dropped… sort of fun mechanism… .frustrating but satisfying when you figure it out…

Stability… This is an oft discussed issue in terms of how long some mof timelines can take especially when farming for blessings … You do earn more stability the farther away from the starting island you are - thats a MoF hint - its better to navigate/explorer farther away… you will earn more stability per echo and when you do corruption, you will earn more corruption doing Orobyss echos… You eventually also get bonus stability if you have other MoF timeslines on higher corruption levels - i.e. you get a boost on a MoF that you havent increased the corruption on…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.