Question for the Devs regarding further community development

Everyone who want’s to stay sane. Good rule from the site admin but badly executed. Somehow I get the feeling that holding tight to the past won’t make the future any better. Unofficial fan Discords are the most terrible place to be for myself for example but I know these can work. Same goes for fanpages but they normaly work like a charm or die pretty fast, there are no inbetweens.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” - George Santayana

Maybe we were lucky on the Sacred International Forum, but we never had any particular controversies. There were only one or two people who got banned & a few got warned to get their **** together or they’d get banned. That said, it was a bit of a niche game (fewer people on the forums) and it was ~16 years ago (fewer people with internet and **** does that make me feel old!).

I’m not sure if these forums would get as “bad” as PoE’s since that game is free.

IMO, I’ve not experienced a bad “fan” moderator, so that’s likely colouring my experience, but I know fan moderators can be good, because people can be good and set aside their own desires for the good of a community. I also have no doubt that you can get bad fan moderators 'cause people can be dicks. Its ultimately up to the devs to choose the people to manage the forum (paid or not). If they pick a good one, awesome, if they pick a bad one, get rid of the **** and try again. The only downside is that it would suck up their time, likely the CM’s time rather than a programmer though. Not that I’m saying the CM’s time is worth less (oh God, this is like accidentally saying that “yes dear, I do think your arse looks big in that”, time to stop digging…).

3 Likes

Any updates on this? If you haven’t discussed this topic yet, no problem. Just wanted to check if there are any news.

I really hate to be the annoying dude poking the devs to death with all of my questions, but is there any update on this whole subject yet @Sarno?

I can imagine that you guys are very busy with the recent stuff about the 1.0 update and now the community tester program.

I don’t mind if you guys still need more time to give a absolute answer, i just wish for an update.

Hullo!

This is something we’ve been considering, and I wanted to wait until a certain thing I desired to include in my reply was 100% confirmed and out the door before referring to it here.

While we really do appreciate the interest, we aren’t presently ready to move forward with either forum sections for other languages, or community moderators.

If we were to offer an online space tailored for a specific language, that would likely come with certain expectations. One would be the presence of several moderators fluent in that language who are consistently available. Another is - particularly in cases of moderation performed by community members - the opportunity to appeal any moderation performed.

@Heavy mentioned German, and it’s an example of a language which, to my knowledge, no member of EHG is fluent in. This makes it difficult for us to receive a message written in German pertaining to something edited, locked, or deleted on the forums - or potentially a Discord message erased with no record of what it contained - read it, review the situation, and offer a meaningful reply. While we would be thrilled to see community forums or Discord servers spring up where others are happy to manage them, we don’t currently see a great path forward for this occurring on the official forum or official community Discord server.

I’ve endeavored to be rather subtle here, but the particularly astute among you may have noticed a subtle shift from me previously saying that we would not be addressing the issue of localization until after release to me saying we don’t currently have anything to announce regarding localization. Please don’t view this as confirmation that something will happen prior to release, however due to a variety of factors we’re no longer as rigid in our position of it being something we won’t tackle until after our official launch as we once had been.

I do think there would be greater value to catering to other languages if the game itself was available in those other languages; regardless of whether it’s pre-release or post-release, I do fully anticipate us revising the above decisions at some point in the future. While I know it’s not satisfying to read, unfortunately I honestly don’t have an ETA for this. Even if a specific language isn’t included in the initial roll-out of in-game localization, steps we take to facilitate localization could put us in a better position to cater to it on community platforms.

We do genuinely appreciate the kind offer, and we are always on the lookout for additional ways of collaborating with the community. You may have seen an indication of this recently! :wink:

10 Likes

I really appreciate the reply, i already expected the slight delay in your answer because of some specifics you wanted to have 100% confirmed before giving us an absolute answer.

While i do feel a little bit of sorrow in my heart now (poor me), your decision is 100% comprehensible for me.

I am genuinely happy to hear that you are supporting any other kind of community projects and i will most likely try to arrange something with the other german guys i am already in contact with.
Important Question:
Just to be one more time 100% sure (because i already had negative experiences in other games with this kind of stuff) you are supporting the promotion of for example a German LE Discord via the forum, in-game chat and your own Official LE Discord, as long as we state that we are not “official”.

Even if the result might not be what i hoped for, again i really do appreciate the open communication you guys have with all kind of topics!

Thank you Sarno!

1 Like

Does it need to be supported by EHG? If you want to get your own discord/etc for German language users, you don’t need EHG’s permission.

@XLVI_carpo so we are just some ‘‘german guys’’, i expected some more love from him like besties or soulmates :wink:

I specifically meant the promotion inside official EHG sources. Like the in-game chat or the official forums.
(I already had bad encounters in other games, were devs didn’t want “unofficial” stuff to be promoted via official mediums)

@TriKster @XLVI_carpo You are all just my minions!

1 Like

Yes Master! Apologies for @TriKster s thoughtless words. He’s young and doesn’t know better. It’s not his fault. Please don’t punish him!

1 Like

Stop talking to yourself, we all know i’m just your 2nd account! We alrdy discussed that in the introduction thread.

1 Like

These voices… where do they come from??? :exploding_head:

No punish him!

And, er, lets get back on topic?

@Heavy, yeah, I’m not sure whether they would want to promote it given that that can (nebulously) infer some form of officialness & (heaven forbid) liability.

I would presume that as the community grows, they will have a “community content” (or something) section of the forum which would be perfect for that kind of thing. But in the mean time, I don’t think there’s any problem with you creating a thread for an unofficial German LE Discord server & linking to it.

1 Like

Yes i would explicitly state that it is unofficial everytime i do promote it somewhere.

But thats why i just wanted to be 100% sure.

1 Like

@Heavy

2 Likes

and there’s nothing against it in the Forum Code of Conduct either.

But there must be a load of unofficial discords kicking around already. Creating some kind of list might be an idea, perhaps something to have in General chat.

Sorry i am probably a bit paranoid, because of negative experiences >.<

Thanks for pointing towards my own already answered question.

You are allowed to live for today

2 Likes

Is that so? I mean tbh i do not use Discrod very much personally, but i would try to create THE ONE german communtiy discord server, in the hopes that we can offer enough so the majroity of people that are even interested in those kind of communities would gather in one place.

I already have some ideas for german related content, but i will most likely ask a bit around what people would want to have, to even think about joining such community.

just an assumption really but I’m pretty sure a lot of people are going to have servers where they hang out already and i’ve seen in game people promoting discord servers along with twitch streams and the like.

Language forums are always valuable though, if you can get if off the ground it would be good for the game. Having a place for players to chat in their native languages can only be a good thing - as long as we never see the official forum or in game chat descend into “speak proper English” place.
Those really annoy me, my second language skills are practically zero and people with the ability to communicate in English when its not their native language shouldnt be flamed because they get some of our stupid grammar wrong.

2 Likes