Question about Paladin's Javelin Skill with Holy Trail Talent

Hey everyone,

I’ve been experimenting with the Paladin’s Javelin skill in Last Epoch, specifically with the Holy Trail talent. According to the Maxrolls guide and the description on the talent tree, when Holy Trail is active, the damage type of Javelin should change from physical to fire and lightning. However, even with the talent selected, when I hover over the skill, it still shows as physical damage.

I’m a bit confused because I expected it to reflect the fire and lightning damage as described. The guide also suggested to equip a scepter, thinking it might also change the damage type to spell, but I dont know if it will work as expected.

Am I misunderstanding something about how this talent works, or is there a bug possibly affecting my gameplay? Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Links to the images

Holy Trail is a sub-skill added to Javelin. It’s like 2 skills(Javelin & Holy Trail) bundled together.
The skill node/talent does NOT change Javelin’s damage type. That’s why Javelin remains a physical throwing skill.

Holy Trail itself is a fire and lightning spell so it will benifit from the spell damage granted by a scepter.

Thank you for your explanations, they clarify things a lot!

So, if I understand correctly, Holy Trail’s damage is separate from the Javelin’s damage itself, and the tooltip reflects the elemental damage of the trail rather than the javelin’s base damage type.

Given this information, I’m still trying to decide whether to focus on using a scepter or a melee weapon. Should I prioritize boosting my physical damage for the javelin itself or focus more on increasing elemental damage to maximize the effectiveness of Holy Trail? Or perhaps it’s beneficial to balance both aspects for an overall stronger build?

Any advice on how to approach this decision would be greatly appreciated!

Move mouse over holy trail node and press alt. That should show you more information about Holy Trail. You can add node path of judgement, which adds spell damage to holy trail per incresed healing effectiveness. You can add judgement skill and its consecrated ground sub-skill, which scales with same attribute and get nice build. I have one such build, quite fun. Holy trail for DoT and judgement for DoT and HoT aura.
All items and prefixes focused on DoT, elemetal DoT and increased healing effectiveness.
Base damage from judgement and javelin are nearly non-existent in my build.
I advice choosing focus either on javelin or holy trail.

Will an increase area of effect affix widen the trail?

It doesn’t have area tag, so i don’t think so.

1 Like