Question About Added Damage on Skill Tree

My understanding of adaptive added damage is that it will be added as the same type as the base damage, using the same ratio if there is a split of damage types. My question is: if the skill tree adds damage to a skill (e.g. the thunder light node adding 40 lightning damage to earthquake), is this considered base damage, thus changing the ratio of the added damage types from the adaptive damage bonuses?

No, any flat added damage of any element is added damage which is multiplied by the skill’s added damage effectiveness, regardless of whether it is added as a specific element or not (adaptive).

If a node adds +40 lightning damage then that gets modified by the skill’s added damage effectiveness modifier but it stays as lightning damage.

No, the only thing that affects the damage element of adaptive damage is the skill tags & they are only affected by conversions, or nodes that add new tags (which may or may not come with some flat damage as well). There are one or two nodes that do add base damage, but they are phenomenally rare (from memory the plasma ball node in fireball is one).

Awesome, thanks. Maybe I will come back and revisit the build that made me ask the question in a future cycle. Cheers.

1 Like