Problems with RNG crafting

Been playing for about a week now and like the game but cant help the feeling that this game is going to run into the same problems a lot of games have around dice roll crafting systems in that all your time spent just comes down to a dice roll. (eg BDO which to be fair is in a whole different league of bad)

As an example lets say you are grinding away and you get 1 item a day that comes down to a 60% chance to be a good item and 40% to be a brick, roll the dice, if it works good if not that day is zero gain.
For that 1 day item I would rather spend 5 days grinding for materials as an alternative option to finish the craft then having to dice roll it because then i know at least my time isnā€™t wasted.

Often it is raised that not having RNG makes it to easy to gear which can reduce player retention etc but imo I would spend more time happily without the dice roll.
A kinda relevant example is legionaries in guild wars 2 the MMO, these often take the average player months to finish but in a recent survey where they asked what keeps people busy making legionaries was amongst the top 3.

So my suggestion would be an alternative to the RNG that takes time and effort so you get satisfaction and progression for your work.

1 Like

I think the majority of people will disagree. I absolutely adore the crafting system. I fractured an item at 98% yesterday, and then went back to the grind. Iā€™ve made plenty of great items and itā€™s such an exciting system for having an increasing chance of failure. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. Having it the way you describe it would be incredibly boring and unrewarding. Chance of failure is what makes it rewarding.

3 Likes

This could lead to a situation where all crafts are successes. So either the grind for materials should take very long, or we all will have extremely powerful gear very quickly.
There is a need for RNG. I donā€™t know which quantity, but I really feel we need the risk failure, we need to be forced to search for several crafting bases, and not only one.

Maybe the grind for materials could be useful for something else, though. I see a real potential behind the idea.

1 Like

Hey thereā€¦ Welcome to the forumā€¦

You might want to do a quick search on the forums as there are Crafting threads with literally thousands of replies discussing Crafting, RNG and potential future improvementsā€¦ The devs have also chipped in numerous times with hints on the future and have confirmed that while crafting works mathematically as it stands, they are always trying to improve the general ā€œfeelā€ and conceptā€¦

1 Like

I like the crafting system a lot. It doesnā€™t feel like RNG at all. More like a calculated risk and reward process.

3 Likes

Welcome aboard OP.

I would agree with Raigirin here. Unlike traditional RNG, you know the odds going into a craft due to LEā€™s system so itā€™s not exactly RNG.

Iā€™ve played a few RNG based crafting games, and I generally hate their mechanics. I am a massive loather of ā€œdice rollsā€. However, I actually enjoy LEā€™s version a lot. I think they have the balance of calculated risk / ā€œOh crap try againā€ about right. I think making it a completely non RNG version with tons of farming would feel worse than the current version.

The OP has been playing about a week. Imagine how tiresome a pure farming system would feel after a year, and several hundred craft attempts. Even after my limited time playing, I have crafted hundreds of items, and even finding the base via monos or gambling gets to be a pain but at least we have the gambling option to find one. Extending the farm session only to open a pure deterministic craft would not only make it way too grindy imho, but only doing it once to get a perfect T20 would also take away the variety of crafting stages we get at present by fractured items.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.