Possible to use hacked items in Online mode? Edit: no, it isn't

A claim was just made there in chat that currently it is possible to create any hacked item you want ONLINE by modding and sync’ing a local file. Any thoughts? Is this possible through any means?

Conversation was about whether existing items would be tradeable in 1.0 and someone said the answer was no, specifically because currently Online items can be readily hacked.

I mean, I won’t say it’s impossible because hackers are always one step ahead, but I find it very unlikely. Your saves aren’t local. They’re on the server. I can’t be 100% certain but I’m 99% sure that the stash is as well.
So can they hack stuff online? Maybe. I doubt it, but it’s possible.

Will you be able to trade stuff you already have? That depends on the devs. Personally I’d just say no (meaning that if it were my decision I wouldn’t allow it, not that the devs are going to do that). Since items can’t be resold anyway, it’s easier to just mark everything as “already sold” and let trade start with a clean slate.

Nope 'cause the online save doesn’t get sync’d to/from any offline save. That person is clearly talking shit.

Then they’re wrong on both counts. Current online items don’t have any faction tags which would prevent them from being sold. So unless they’re intending to do a wipe (they aren’t) then said current online items should be saleable in standard league when 1.0 hits.

Then why let standard players have all the season content?

Yes, all items currently do not have a faction requirement and thus will be tradable in the Legacy mode at 1.0.

EDIT: No, all items prior to 1.0 will not be tradeable.

2 Likes

I don’t understand the comparison. I was just referring to the need of having to farm items anew with 1.0 so we’re on even footing with all the new players that will (hopefully) be coming with launch. We already have way more gold than them, so not being able to immediately “saturate” the market with BiS items seems to me to be a good starting point.
I don’t understand what that has to do with seaon content.

Just to be clear, this will not result in real items online. You can “hack items into online” but they don’t work and vanish as soon as you change characters. Basically you can modify your local visuals to show them but they aren’t real.

3 Likes

Except you won’t since in standard you can use your lvl 100 characters to farm 1k corruption to drop lots of nice gear as soon as 1.0 drops & then list them on the AH. How is that an even footing?

If you want an even footing with new players, you’ll need to start a season character.

You’ll also be able to pick the MG faction immediately & start working on your rep (much faster than those poor saps who started a new character in seasons). There is no way you’d ever be on an “even footing” in standard when 1.0 starts. It’s just not possible.

2 Likes

Well, obviously. I was just talking about reducing that gap a little. And I meant that, if it were my choice, that’s what I would have done.
I just feel that the first days of 1.0 will be the older top tier players selling BiS stuff and then buying other BiS stuff. I think those items will simply be shifting around in between them until the rest can catch up.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s a bad thing. Nor is it a good thing. Either option is valid to me.

Fair enough, but I don’t even want to think about the amount of time it’d take a “seasoned pro” to get to where you select your faction & then grind the rep compared to a total newcomer who’s probably going to spend half of their time asking chat how the #### stuff works & why it doesn’t work like PoE/D3/4/GD/whatever other arpg they’re used to.

Yeah, pretty much.

2 Likes

But only in Legacy, so that seems fair enough to me.

2 Likes

p.s Thanks for all the replies and interest, folks.

2 Likes

Legacy/standard is always, tainted, by the past.

And I am completely fine with that.

1 Like

In a way, yes.
But obviously we are only talking about legacy there, and I suspect cycle will be far busier than legacy, especially in the first few days and with older players who might want to try something new-ish.

Edit: Bah, too slow. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Terek recently got to Empowered in ~4 hours. Fresh character, no twinked items…it’s damn impressive stuff and he’s always trying to do it faster. He also completes the campaign in under ~2 hours for all classes.

1 Like

I will wait for patch notes and more info on this, but so far I see no reason to try out cycles, especially at 1.0. There are usually 3 reasons people play seasons when the content is the same as standard (as happens with D2, for example): 1- leaderboards race, 2- the challenge, 3- economy fresh start.
Since I don’t care about 1 or 2 and since the economy will start fresh on both realms, I don’t really feel an incentive to join the cycle. At least, with the information so far.

Not necessarily. The people playung standard will be able to pick their faction immediately (due to not having to level up & get there) and earn rep/favour faster (due to being in monos/empowered monos immediately).

And don’t forget, the main difference between standard and season is the leaderboard and a fresh economy.

1 Like

This might be true going forward, but for 1.0 both get a fresh economy, so the only difference at launch will be leaderboards. Which means that most players that don’t run leaderboards have no incentive to run a cycle character.

Also, LE’s trade is a different beast. I’m not sure a fresh economy will be that relevant either in the future. We’ll have to wait and see.

1 Like

Yes & no. Standard characters will have a stash full of items and gold, the only thing they’d be missing to interact with a fully fledged economy is the factoon level and favour, which they can gain much faster die to being at a much higher level when 1.0 hits.

1 Like

Completing the campaign in 2 hours is not that surprising. Having done it with more Alts than I care to admit (hint: it’s more than 20), I am approaching that myself.

However, reaching empowered in 4 hours total is astonishing. Getting through the standard monos is the main slog in this game and that usually takes me at least an entire day.