Please remove Osprix Lightmages from the game

The loot will still be there for you to check out when the mobs that are only half a screen away are dead. This is fundamentally no different than having to kill everything on screen before being able to check out loot safely. That “problem” is additionally mitigated specifically in LE by the fact that we have a very user-friendly loot filter built directly into the game to hide loot we don’t care about and highlight loot that we do.

Perhaps the real issue is not that “off screen garbage” prevents you from looking at loot at your leisure, but that you are spending more time looking at loot than appropriate.

I outlined how complaints about attacks that are heavily telegraphed and easy to dodge are allegedly “garbage” just because they come from off-screen come off to me when I read them. You or the OP are welcome to add more substance to your complaints to correct my perception. Trying to slap me in the face with dime-store logical fallacies and insults is not a very good way to do that, though.

2 Likes

Again with the straw-man. The OP stated that it was multiple screens away, and you’re still missing the point with regard to the artillery monos. Having to backtrack for loot is indefensible too, btw.

Everyone has different filter settings, but having only 0.5-1s between barrages isn’t on the user for “being too slow.” You’re just being disingenuous here.

Then stop using them.

The term “bugged” has a specific meaning which is not interchangeable with “I don’t like it”. It is clear from the behavior and design of other mobs in LE that being able to attack the player from off-screen is a deliberate decision and not automatically a bug when it happens. Absent a statement from EHG that this behavior is unintended, it is not a bug - it is a feature you just don’t like.

Nothing is preventing you from addressing the attack by killing the Lightmage. You are just angry at the effort level that’s sometimes required of you in executing that strategy. Being frustrated with a game mechanic is also not interchangeable with the mechanic being broken.

That’s an odd thing to say with such finality, given that I just defended it. It seems to me that you’re very mad about this and it’s clouding your ability to distinguish between “I don’t like it” and “It is fundamentally wrong”. You may want to take a bit of a breather from the discussion so you can continue it with a clearer head.

1 Like

More straw-man. You refuse to argue the points he raised and instead conflate them into something else entirely.

More assumptions about motive in place of arguing the points raised.

Poorly and with no reasonable justification for that position.

That loot remains on the ground waiting for you to look at it is a statement of fact. If you are calling statements of fact “a straw-man”, you may want to re-examine your understanding of what that term means.

I understand the point. I just don’t think it’s a valid one for a number of reasons, some of which I’ve already outlined, but which also includes that given the OP’s penchant for hyperbole in this thread I don’t believe a Lightmage actually attacked the them from four screens away.

Backtracking for loot happens all the time, depending on your character’s positioning in relation to the mobs that drop the loot. Whether or not it’s “defensible” depends on magnitude and frequency, which I think that you and OP are both significantly over-stating because it’s the only way your complaint looks rational. After all, if backtracking for loot were fundamentally indefensible, shouldn’t you be arguing for a wildly redesigned system for when and where loot drops in relation to your character instead of just that off screen attacks make you angry?

Your assertion that I’m using logical fallacies, based on the rest of your comment, appears to be rooted in a lack of understanding of the terms you’re throwing at me.

This is what people who don’t know what they are always say–especially to defend their use of them!

Every single reply I have seen of yours in this thread has been some form of “Let me read this in the most incorrect way possible and attack that instead of what is actually being argued/stated.” That’s as definitive as you get for what straw-manning someone is.

You don’t seem to have anything valuable to add to this discussion, so perhaps you should be the one to step away from it. Not just for awhile–until you learn how to avoid repeating the same fallacious tactics in every post.

For your own sake, please stop using terms that you don’t understand like argument trump cards. You just look silly.

No point of argument was raised in the comment I replied to, friend.

• “Lightmages are bugged” is not a point, it is a statement of opinion.
  • “They can attack from offscreen” is not a point, it is an observation.
  • “This needs to be fixed” is not a point, it is a statement of opinion.
  • “The current behavior is indefensible” is not a point, it is a statement of opinion.

No assumption about motive needs to be made when it is being communicated so clearly by the poster I’m replying to. OP is communicating that they are mad and that’s all there is to what they have to say thus far.

You have tried to make a separate point about why you don’t like off-screen attacks that I’ve been responding to separately. OP has not said anything to indicate they share that opinion, so I’m not sure why you’re coming at me in replies to them as though they are replies to you, but I think I’ve spent enough time trying to read poetry to geese, so go ahead and pat yourself on the back for winning. :slight_smile:

You keep accusing me of not understand the term that accurately described your tactics–even explained how you were doing it, and you just repeat the accusation as if that changes anything.

Way to prove me right again, “friend.”

Apparently misrepresenting people’s ideas, making false accusations of their motives/claims, accusing them of not knowing things they clearly do, and making a fallacious argument in every post is “poetry” these days.

Hey guys, just a friendly reminder to please be respectful to each other when discussing topics or we will be forced to close the discussion.

Thank you.

4 Likes

Since you don’t have 32 years of software development experience as I do, I’d like to take this opportunity to correct your misinformation about the term “bug”.

A bug (in software) does not have to be something which generates an error, glitch, or crash. On the design side of software development, mis-coding something like “attack range” and/or “line of sight” checks can easily happen when a specification misses a requirement.

Now, given that the behavior of all other mobs in LE is that they get onto the screen before they attack you, especially other ranged monsters (ones with bows, spells, etc.), and even other monsters with ground-effect telegraphs, the only logical conclusion is that the Lightmage is, in fact, bugged. To suggest that of all the monsters in LE, the designers intentionally designed one and only one to launch attacks from offscreen is basically illogical.

Now, add on top of all that the fact that LE is still in open Beta, and the preponderance of evidence leads to only one conclusion: they need to be fixed.

2 Likes

Pretty much the only other thing that does this is those artillery monos, and I’d argue those are actually bad design and should be removed/reworked in some way.

Well, bad design or not, those are, in fact, CLEARLY designed to off-screen you. The same cannot be said for Lightmages.

1 Like

iirc lightning elementals, ice elementals, siege golems maybe some other i forgot can all attack from off-screen.
i also got annoyed by them while checking loot, so i made my lootfilter a bit stricter so i can just collect what drops and don’t need to worry about full pockets.

1 Like

True, but in general it’s a bit of a design faux pas, especially in this genre.

I think elementals and siege golems are more of a case where they begin to channel their attack on-screen, and then you can go off screen and they can complete it. I don’t think I’ve ever been strictly off-screen and have them “agro” and attack wholly off-screen. But I don’t mind adding them to the list of “mobs to double check” on the ol’ bug list.

2 Likes

Awesome man!

Just now…

Lake Liath… top of the stairs near the tower. The Osprix start coming in waves, and the game is spawning new waves in slowly.

1. A lightmage ground target appeared.
  2. The damage went off
  3. The shadow of the Lightmage appeared.
  4. The lightmage spawned.

That’s right - it attacked me before SPAWNING INTO THE GAME. This isn’t 4 screens away - this is infinity screens away. BUGGED.

1 Like

but

but

but

I really hope the bugged version of the game the OP has downloaded can be overwritten or updated or something (don’t get technical with me I don’t have 32 years experience in software development lol) and I suggest using the version of the game I’ve got where there are no bugged Lightmages?

It might help the bug fix team track down what’s going wrong to compare a working version of the game with his corrupted (is is a virus maybe???) version.

If Devs want me to upload my version I can do that for them. Just PM me the details.

4 Likes

It’s not infinity screens away, it’s just not been spawned, but yes, if it’s not been spawned then it shouldn’t be casting anything.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.