Ouch, racist chat is painfull to see

I mean I agree, I was mostly talking about the obvious extreme stuff as a temporary solution while EHG looks over it. trolling should be something dealt with using ignore lists imo

As someone who has been gaming heavily since the internet started and who has played in many online games now my opinions on this subject have evolved a lot over time. I mentioned this potential problem in another thread a couple of weeks ago, and sadly it appears it is already coming to pass.

I used to believe in freedom of speech in online games chat channels. USED TO. That was back when the majority of gamers still had a modicum of common sense and there were less mindless trolls about.

Now, I firmly believe that the only way to keep a useful chat feature for players to use is by HEAVY moderation. Chat needs to be monitored by designated moderators 24/7, if not enough employees from LE are available, then community moderators need to be appointed somehow.

As with most of you, when chat started up, I was pleasantly surprised to find a ā€œthrowbackā€ to the good old early days of gaming online. Some friendly banter, but mainly people getting along together and also some helping out of newer players. This was a shock, but a nice one. Every single other game in the ā€œnew ageā€ of online gaming have chat channels that are a complete joke. Since political correctness came, and actively moderating chat was frowned upon itā€™s all become a complete farce. Chat in games is now more toxic than at any time. I would suspect that the first thing that most players in most games do is disable chat, I know I do now. If most normal players disable chat, then what is even the point of having it?

So, if LE wants to have an actual chat facility it CANNOT be the same as other games. Hence my suggestion of going back in time and using active heavy moderation.

1. Chat logs should be kept on LEā€™s servers.
  2. Moderators should be in chat in some form 24/7.
  3. Reported abuse should be dealt with promptly by moderators, pending review later from the logs.
  4. Chat abusers, spammers, Trolls should all be chat-banned immediately upon a Mod seeing them do it.
  5. There should be a system of layers for bans: 24 Hrs, 7 Days, 30 Days, Perma Ban.
  6. There needs to be a clear and published Code of Conduct for Chat which is rigidly enforced.

The only other effective alternative to this is to completely scrap global chat altogether and only have a Party Chat & Whispers. No amount of half hearted PC measures will do anything meaningful. Iā€™ve seen recent PC attempts at ā€œmoderatingā€ without actually moderating, and Chat always devolves into something from ā€œPlanet of Apesā€.

Please, LE, take this problem seriously and either moderate properly, or scrap it altogether. Toxic chat is detrimental to the long term success of the game, especially when MP goes live.

4 Likes

They already are, which is why support can review them & ban offenders.

One of the downsides of having a moderating presence is the cost of employing several people who speak the various different languages.

2 Likes

As a somone responded, the squares are symbols that your machine did not render, due to language. Stop attributing and jumping to racism the instant something you dont understand happens

1 Like

I donĀ“t know about this chat, you are talking about in-game.
Only thing I see is some text flying by and then vanishes into thin air. I play the game, I couldnĀ“t care less about some chat-text flying by.

Yes, the cost is a large downside which is why I suggested the use of community volunteer moderators selected by LE staff.

The alternative is a half policed chat, which is what we see in most games, and we can also see how that usually turns out. The only people who use chat in those games are mainly the very people that cause the issues. Most typical gamers simply disable the feature which imho dilutes the community aspect of the game considerably.

Iā€™d personally rather they addressed this issue now, prior to MP release and why it is still a relatively minor problem, rather than later after MP release when it will probably be too late.

Gamers and racism, name a more iconic duo.

Bacon and eggs.

Where Iā€™m from this is pretty simple: If Iā€™m offending you by calling you (insert rude word here) Iā€™m the offender but if you call me names because of it you are no better and offended as well.
I donā€™t care for the squares because squares never did something to me but I care about raceism. It donā€™t matter who starts it it matters that people go forth with it and donā€™t stop it instantly.

simply pointing out, to OP that it was not actualy racism, but font that caused OP to make the post, but attributed it to racism, rather than the actual cause.
And nowdays, it seem annyone wants to attribute annything to racism, rather than the actual cause, to the point where racism has no meaning, as itā€™s been used to describe non-racist things so much, that annyone with half a brain sould be suspicious when somone attributes something to it.
To your point of calling names back and forth, I dont give a damn if somone is offended, and of the opinnion, that if you are dishing out, you should be able to take a hit. If not, you should probably never talk/interact with other sentient beings again.

How to say youā€™re a racist without actually saying it.

Without wanting to get dragged into a political slanging match here, the word ā€œracistā€ is used far too often and often wrongly in these politically correct and sensitive times.

Let us not forget the traditional dictionary definition of racism:

Prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.

The belief that different races possess distinct characteristics, abilities, or qualities, especially so as to distinguish them as inferior or superior to one another.

Source: https://www.lexico.com/definition/racism

Calling people names or upsetting people is NOT racism. Calling people names etc entirely due to their race or ethnic origin IS racism.

All too often people shout the racism card now simply because they are upset or offended, and this actually lessens the importance of combating REAL racism.

If I call my neighbour a ā€œcomplete dickā€, it is because I think he is a ā€œcomplete dickā€. That is not racist, regardless of whether or not he gets upset. If I call my neighbour a ā€œComplete Green Skinned Martian Dickā€ and he is from Mars, then that is Racism because I am referring to his Martian ethnicity at the same time as my insult.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not Chinese, itā€™s west Tiwanese.

Oh yes of course, you have no political opinions, just helping out the poor peasants with your dictionary definitions and nothing else. Yes sir, thank you, sir!

There is racial context in the matter so your point is invalid.

Complaining that these are politically correct and sensitive times just shows your colours.
The reason why there is so much use of the word is because there is so much of it - downplaying itā€™s significance is your standard run of the mill racist Gamer talking point.

And of course - ā€œDonā€™t call me racist, think about the real racism thatā€™s going on.ā€
I say get rid of ā€œrealā€ and ā€œthe otherā€ racists as well.

Letā€™s hear something new.

LOL, you serious?

2 Likes

Or, you know, you could chill out for a bitā€¦ This thread has gone through the arguments, no need to resurrect them.

@Resist1990 Let me introduce you to kiss_me_quick, heā€¦ has some viewpoints on thingsā€¦

1 Like

Well thatā€™s rather condescending.

Guess we all have to privately message Lord @Llama8 if weā€™re allowed to take part of the conversation and express counter-arguments to other people with of course acceptable viewpoints( anti-racism whaaat!? WOW no way hose! ).

Pot/kettle/black.

1 Like

Yeah, it seems someone here thinks that it is always everyone else, not them.

My post was quite objective, meant to give a neutral perspective, and not personal in any way. The fact that you then replied making it personal tells me all I need to know about your perspectives on things. I donā€™t waste my time indulging in discussions with close minded, paranoid zealots, so Iā€™ll leave it at that. Iā€™ll continue to read anything thatā€™s entertaining in its lunacy, but when you go over the top Iā€™ll simply stick you on the tried and tested block list. Itā€™s a nice quiet room with bacon sandwiches and free coffee, so enjoy the lounge if you end up there. Please donā€™t leave the block list room messy or untidy :wink:

Anyone from any political aisle could be saying these things! Facts & logic + my opinion is fact.

• Joins conversation
  • Tells people to shut up
    ā€œItā€™s just one of these pot and kettle situations you know!ā€

Godā€¦ I thought he was back to POE forums for good. Guess no one left to troll those forums and he has to be here.