Option to tone down visual effects/flashes = headache

Hi there, I’ve been playing this game so much and love it. I am playing a Runemaster now which has Elemental Nova with Lightning Nova that flashes on my screen non stop. It is very bright and colorful. Amazing looking, but long term it gives me major headaches and was hoping I find a way to tone them down. A microtransaction to turn them black or an ingame option preferably to make them less visible. I have been playing my Cold DOT Werebear way longer than this in Pre release and since that class doesn’t have these effects I could play long sessions without having a hard time. I know it’s not a priority now, but I would really enjoy the game more and longer if I didn’t have these flashes making me dizzy. Thanks. Amazing game. Love it.

7 Likes

I agree! Lightning is my favourite element to play and here I find myself avoiding it because it makes my brain hurt too much. Would love an option to tone it down, when you have the time for it.

2 Likes

Hi. I use it occasionally for similar reasons. Sometimes in many games I play it can so be harsh on the eyes at times, but here are a couple tips that helped my eyes alot and didnt really negatively impact the beautiful art.

Does your monitor have color temp settings or did you ever try Windows Night light feature. It is completely customizable and can be toggled on/off from the Notifications button next to the clock.

Also, did you turn off enemy flicker in the settings?
Turn down the advanced lighting or whatever it is called?

I hope you figure something out your eyes will be pleased!

Good luck, have fun!

I love the new visuals also but agree with this. I’m worried we’re veering into the level of visual clarity that POE has. (POE has no visual clarity)

I am using F.Lux which changes my color schemes and yeah I twicked it. Played with graphic settings and made it a tad better, but the best way in my opinion would be a setting ingame to change/reduce visual intensity or change the color of the said spell. If I can make those flashes a dark color it would help a ton rather than making the whole scenery look bland. For the future. I don’t expect this to be a priority.

1 Like

Not only visually taxing, optimization in this game is horrible and all those effects contribute to an extremely low fps on pc’s that can easilly handle medium settings in both of the competitor games (poe / d4) with double the fps.

Can’t play normally because on some maps my fps dips all the way to 10fps where i can barely even press a button let alone react fast.

They should add an option to disable dead bodies, and give us even lower graphics settings and ability to disable more effects.

I have no issues with FPS on Ultra everything. I do have all kinds of issues while on PoE. From FPS, stuttering to out right unplayable due to game crashing non stop. After hours of research it comes down to optimization between the game itself and the GPU we’re using. (I have 5k hours on PoE, I’m a fan of the game, but it has major issues for me when I play it) I have a pretty new and decent PC, 3080 gpu, I5-12400 CPU, not ovrclocked. 32gig RAM.)

I am glad you don’t have problems, lots of other people do, including myself, and that is why we write about it.
I have over 15k hours in poe and played most arpgs over the last 20 years, all the way from arcanum, early fallouts, diablos etc, and never have my experience with fps in games been as miserable as in Last Epoch. In poe i have stable 100 fps (dipping abit when running juiced maps with a headhunter etc), stable 144 in d4 on medium/high, and this game…uggh… anywhere from 60fps dropping to 1 frame (usually arena monoliths where monsters pile on top of each other).

If all you have to offer is ‘just buy 3080 lol’, pls don’t reply as i will only update my pc in a year or two. I bought this game somewhere around 2018, there is really no reason for such an old game to require 3080 just to play at stable 60 fps, this is beyond unreasonable.

I understand your issue, but my post is about an option to solve the visual fatigue some spells have on our body, not about FPS. Don’t hijack my thread and make it about FPS. Open a feedback post and talk about your issue and discuss FPS issues with other people who have the same problems.

3 Likes

I know what you mean, I really hope they find a fix for that.

I started Runemaster a couple of days ago and got severe headache too. So after taking a break for a couple of days I played again and I got headache again. So it really is the visual effects.

Over the past years I played several games (Diablo 3, D4, Destiny 2 and whatnot) but never had any issues.

Its gettin frustrating coz this is the second character I wasted time on that will not make it into endgame.

2 Likes

What some dev shops fail to realize, these are not jsut QoL issues, these are Accessibility issues.
Tons of flashing/strobing high brightness/contrast effects all over the place without options to tone down the number and intensity is a recipe for fatigue, headaches and possibly even seizures.

One of the easiest solutions might be to allow externalized particle textures at least, so a very light blue and white effect can be made more muted or yellow-ish to eliminate issues.

This may be something nVidia filter (FreeStyle, Alt+F3) or reShade might be able to help with, YMMV. I don’t think Last Epoch works with either (well?).

In-game you only have brighness, in SDR w/ FreeStyle you only get the new nV RTX Dynamic Vibrance, in HDR you get the new RTX HDR which while great, settings seem ineffective.

P.S. This is one of those things that mods could fix, potentially.

1 Like

Bump. Please give this attention, its killing the build for me too

1 Like

Just supporting.

-There are builds I tried and ditched because I could see ZERO boss mechanic cues if they were faint.

-Why are some boss mechanic cues so bright and others, barely perceptible (mostly but not entirely; dependent on the element).

-Then add abilities/builds/unique gear that completely obscure everything.