One thing this game is lacking

Don’t ask me why my brain thought of this while I was sleeping (my brain is weird), but I realized why the so-called “psychology” doesn’t make any sense.

Say I’m punching you in the face. Repeatedly. Over and over. And I say “I’m going to stop any second.” So you begin to anticipate the moment that I finally stop. The pain continues, seemingly unendingly, until suddenly, I stop punching you in the face. “AHH!” you scream in a moment of joy!

That’s basically what an “Identify” mechanic is in video games.

3 Likes

There’s only one person There are many people who should be punched in the face repeatedly and none of them are me.

1 Like

I don’t see identifying items as anything other than an annoyance that dissrupts the flow of the gameplay.

I think a better solution would be to do something unique. For example: Maybe there is a small chance when a unique or legendary drops that it is unidentified and there is a “mini-game” that allows the user to solve a puzzle or roll some dice that will impact the quality of the item. That way the disruption isn’t a constant expected annoyance and is a delight with a benefit to the play when it happens.

Oh man, so many replies. I would love to address them one by one after careful consideration but I am preoccupied with new trees in PoE, so no dice there. I have said all that I want to express so that is all from me til I got burnt out by PoE.

And @leandrys, the part of your comment and some other posters thus far that ticks me off the most is when you imply that opinions are not worth discussing because they are just opinion. To a smaller extent, it is the “you are for sure wrong and I am right” tone peppering them. Interpret that how you will.

Some people enjoy physical pain and find it pleasurable (called masochism). That doesn’t mean their opinion on it holds equal weight to those who don’t like pain. They are a minority, and should never expect the rest of us to conform to their viewpoint. Yet, they are free to do what they like in their personal lives.

Unfortunately, a video game system (like identification) is universal (unless Devs decide to code it as some sort of option you can turn on/off in Settings). And when you design a feature for everyone, the majority opinion drives the decision. It is unreasonable to think that EHG would add an identification mechanic (in any form) to LE when virtually every player abhors it. That’s just being realistic.

This comment is funny. If someone offered me a decent chance for what I think is equivalent rewards, say a hundred million dollars, sure I will take a couple punches and you can call me names or masochist if you want to.

EDIT: Oh, and this happens to be one of the themes in Squid Game.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.