Nova boy 0.8.3

Just a question, the video in the OP shows Lightning Blast being used, but the spec is called “Nova Boy” and specs into Elemental Nova and wears the unique Crown.

What am I missing here?

Lightning Blast is better for bosses & Ele Nova for clear. Plus “Lightning Blast Boy” doesn’t sound as cool.

The build managed to dodge big nerfs :stuck_out_tongue:
Spell slinger being nerfed will hurt single target slightly
Brainstorm nerf is minor nerf however these 2 nodes will still be used due to the nerf to base mana regen in general!
Idol changes are big even though 2x2 received 5% nerf but now you can run 4 1x1 on top of it so its fine.
Will update the build a bit once 0.8.2 goes live.

I have question about leveling planner. Since you take shatter shock, shouldn’t i take Rune of Winter too, to convert lightning blast to cold damage during leveling, and also take both shock and chill chance, so that shatter shock has 1.6 * 1.6 multiplier?

You should take rune of winter yes for the leveling planner but not for the full build.
If enemy is both chilled and shocked then shattershock gives 1.6 * 1.6 multiplier

1 Like

Thanks!

Can i ask, why you took Whirling snow passive ( chill chance one)? Isn’t it better to just take 1 suffix with chance to chill, for example instead of the Chance to Slow on weapon? Its only use i guess is to proc Shattershock from Lightning Blast. Instead 5 points can be invested for damage or mana, if i don’t have well rolledOrian.

If he did take a chill on hit suffix then he’d have to drop one of his other suffixes (slow or shock). Chill will proc the more damage from Shattershock, but it’s also a very good defensive modifier as well in it’s own right as it reduces bosses cast/attack speed.

1 Like

Llama8 is correct. The 35% chill per hit is more than enough to get it going due to the insane amount of hits you can deal per second. Dropping slow for chill when you get chill from the passive is not ideal since slow will slow down enemies and it works together with chill! Having both of them will be better than anything else the passive offers for 5 points.

1 Like

Thanks! That makes sense.

Got another question, about lightning blast. I just test it on dummy, and i thought Hypercharge passive - which is quadruple strike, just replaces double strike. So that would mean, i have 25% chance to deal quadruple damage, for 5 passive points taken. Which is a net 100% more damage multiplier.

But after testing on dummy, it seems like this 25% chance for quadruple is taken only from double strikes. Which would mean, from taking 5 points into Overcharge, and Hypercharge, gives me only 36% more multiplier, on top of +40% crit multiplier. In that case, isn’t it just better to put 5 points into Frontloaded instead?

Edit: Explaining my math: 18% chance to deal double damage, 6% chance to deal quadruple damage, equals 36% more damage.

Yep 25% chance for quadruple roll happens if you double cast and yes you will get more if you go 5 points into frontloaded. So, it’s your personal preference, i prefer the quad/double cast for when i do get lucky with the proc even at the cost of doing less damage when i get unlucky

1 Like

Ok last question i promise :stuck_out_tongue: Distant Spark passive - his only purpose is to give lightning blast some AoE, right?

The only purpose of it is to apply lightning shred and shock + armor shred faster. The damage it does is very lackluster so it won’t help lightning blast in aoe but that is why you have elemental nova :stuck_out_tongue:

Ah i see. So maybe double and quadruple cast is better than Frontloaded, depending how much dps increase armor shred and shock give.

Shred and shock (when both at 20 stacks) reduces enemy resistance to negative 200% and armor shred at 40 stacks is 40% more. Now getting high stacks is only for bosses so having more burst is gonna be better for weaker enemies

1 Like

Those lightning blast crits on dummy. Are those 50k crits? Cause i can’t imagine being them 500k really ;p

No, those are 500k crits.

Never made a sorc before so im trying to understand the build. Where does this build get it survivability from? I see very little health and ward. I see some endurance stacking and Flame ward. Are those the main defenses?

Also, comparing the Arena set up and the lightning set up is the trade off tankiness for movement?

Arena setup is tankier and lightning setup has more damage.

The defensive layers are dodge on potion and endurance + flame ward

The thing is, this build can stun-lock normal enemies so that brings some extra survivability

Hi, firstly loving the build. Should we be trying to find cast speed with the Spell Slinger nerf ? Or is there a break point for cast speed .