Not launching after update

After updating Windows and GPU driver today the game won’t get past the loading splash screen. Hangs there with the windows waiting icon until not responding dialogue appears.
I’ve attached all the recommended files and screenshots of the updates. I assume this is specific to my system but hopefully something can be sorted out.LE Crash.zip (66.8 KB)

EDIT: Fixed by repairing through Steam

1. Open your Steam library.
  2. Right-click on Last Epoch.
  3. Click on Properties.
  4. Switch to the Local Files tab.
  5. Click Verify Integrity of Game Files.

Great… Verifying game files after an update is ALWAYS recommended and definitely needed whenever you experience an odd behaviour like something not working as it had before…

ps. Welcome from RSA…

1 Like

It’s happening to me after 0.8.5. it just hangs forever on the splash screen. Need to reboot the pc. Sometimes it works but 90% of the time it doesn’t.
Already veryfied the game files and reinstalled.

5600x
3080 10gb
16gb RAM

Hey there… Welcome to the forums…

Hint: Its better to start your own thread in the Technical Support section as the cause of your issue may be entirely different to the OP - and - this is a bit of a necro post…

That said… please post your player.log, le_graphicsmanager.ini and the output of a dxdiag report - one of these may have an indication of what could be happening on your system.

Other things in the meanwhile:

1. Are your GPU drivers recent (last few months) and did you do a clean driver install (not an upgrade)?

2. Is your system OS up to date and without any pending or failed updates?

3. Did you change the in-game settings to something substantial - remember the game is in beta and is generally unoptimised so if you maxed out the settings and resolution to what a 3080 should be able to handle, the game might be getting a speed wobble and failing to start… Its like flooring a sportscar that hasnt had a tune up or no-one checked if the tires were bolted on yet… If this is the issue, the simplest way to resolve this is to delete the le_graphicsmanager.ini settings file while steam and the game are not running - it should recreate a default config that should work.

4. As the problem is on startup, are you running any other applications while trying to test LE? Temporarily dont run anything else - there are various known issues with apps conflicting with Unity and it might be that something was recently updated etc that is now unhappy…

5. Also related to the problem at startup - do you have any firewalling, networking setup that could delay the login process? There have been people in the past who had similar intermittent hangs on startup that turned out to be DNS relay related - i.e. the game would timeout waiting for a DNS resolution for the login service… Especially those whos ISPs were relaying DNS to other third parties…

Hi,

4 and 5 - No

1 - Updated drivers with clean install

2 - OS completely up to date. Win10 Pro.

3 - The game is completely maxed out (except 4k resolution) I’ll try to delete the file and reset everything to default. I’ll update you later.

Also I found out that I can terminate LE with the keyboard (the mouse didn’t work after alt tab) and now I don’t have to reboot the pc at least. After 2 or 3 tries the game starts.

edit: oh and nothing was changed in the settings from 0.8.4 to 0.8.5. that’s what I find strange.

And the logs and other files I mentioned? for example… there could be a debug message in the log which indicates exactly what is happening. the dxdiag might indicate that there is a specific dll or something conflicting…

I personally wouldnt recommend running the game maxed out even if I had a 3080… I prefer stablity & decent fps at a native resolution than eye candy and with the game in its current state, it does bizarre things when pushed to the envelope… When its out of beta and optimised, then I’d change this viewpoint… but for now… nah, not worth it imho.

updates can and do sometimes cause issues without you changing anything… there are also sometimes secondary things happening that you dont realise - i.e. you (or windows) updated a device driver that now causes issues… maybe the app that you use with your mouse/keyboard got messed up with an windows update… maybe you updated a totally irrelevant app but it runs a service that has issues with Unity… there are usually a dozen things that changed between versions of a patch but tend to be ignored so it seems like “nothing changed”…

and that doesnt even address the possibility that a specific update might have messed something up - entirely possible but we have to tick off the usual suspects first…

DxDiagLE.txt (101.9 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (480 Bytes)
Player.log (1.6 MB)

Here are the files you requested, hope it helps.

Ok… Looking at this info…

I dont see any specific crash debug messages in this log - is this the log from a session when you experienced a crash(s)? Reason is that logs are overwritten on subsequent restarts so it could be missing the actual crash message… Sometimes crashes are not logged (depending on if the game captures the crash in time) so I will assume that is the case here…

Your log file is flooded with over 15k of error messages from the Particle System - normally every log file will have a few of these depending on the maps loaded / in-game settings… but definitely NOT 15k in a 1.6MB log file… thats definitely NOT normal and if you think of the game logging 15k debug messages about a graphic effect not working you can imagine its unlikely to be stable after time.

Another thing I noticed is quite a few FMOD event errors - this is the audio / sound effects component of the game - normally there are a handful of these kinds of errors but you have over 20… (I have maybe 2 after hours of play)…

From those two types of debug messages, there are two potential causes of the issues you are having so far - one is graphical and the other is sound…

Looking further in the info you provided…

Your Dxdiag report is not showing anything concerning about your Windows OS or your GPU driver… however you are using a USB audio device from C-MEDIA Inc. with a very old unsigned system driver - CMUAC.sys. I cannot say for sure if this is ok, but in the past certain audio devices have caused odd problems with LE and its usually ended up being old legacy drivers that needed an update. This is something to look into.

Reviewing the Dxdiag diagnostic section at the end of the file - I see that there are no Last Epoch errors - which means that LE is not actually crashing to a level that Windows is able to trap in the error logs… Its not even Hanging - something that Windows is also usually able to log with details… So the game process is just stopping until you reboot your PC - this is NOT normal for LE… It usually throws an error of some kind…

I am not seeing any serious errors in the diagnostic section that would indicate any potential hardware issue that could explain the game not loading… Thats a good thing.

I am seeing lots of errors related to the Logitech HUB and Corsairs Armoury apps - these are known to cause issues with games if they are not working properly - especially anything that handles controllers/mice/keyboards. I would definitely check these two applications and make sure they are correctly installed and properly updated…

Next… your settings:

I do not recommend these settings with the game in its current beta state. No other way to put that. Even others with 3080s that play LE dont tend to max out the settings like this - purely for performance and stability sake…

Important questions: when you use these settings what framerates are you actually getting while playing (average, max) and what is your GPU usage % (average, max)?

Reason I ask this is that your logs are full of graphical related debug messages - which is usually a sign that the game is struggling graphically…

So… in summary…

I would double check the audio devices & drivers on your system as they could be inadvertently causing problems with the Unity Audio - yes this can cause crashes/odd things.

I would make 100% sure that your Logitech apps etc are all working properly and updated to the latest versions… If you are unable to do this, I would temporarily disable them from running at all - including services… Same for Corsair…

I would double check the Windows event view or View Reliability Histor and make sure that nothing else is crashing or reporting issues on your system - especially anything directly preceeding trying to test LE.

I would most definitely reduce the in-game settings that you are using - to test stability, I would leave the resolution but set the quality to Medium with all the special features like shadows disabled/lowest settings and the max framerate to 60fps and test and see if the game behaves correctly or in a more stable manner… If it does, then I would consider increasing the fps/quality in smaller increments to an acceptable level - but I would definitely not use Ultra quality and I would make sure that the FPS is kept at a level that your system is able to maintain even during very busy moments in play - i.e. imho 144fps is too high for stability.

Wow, thanks for the long report.

I’m using my monitor with built in speakers for sound because sometimes I don’t want to use my headset, maybe that causes the sound problems. I’ll try to look for updated drivers.

I was getting 100-120 fps with ultra settings. I’ve turned it down to High with the fps capped to 144. I’ve never noticed any artifacts or lack of stability, but I understand what you’re saying. (Never checked the GPU usage) By doing this it seems to have solved the issue of hanging in the splash screen.

Logitech Hub is always causing problems because it updates very often and doesn’t always function properly. The other app I don’t even use, its purpose is to control the MB (fans and RGB). I’ll try to disable it.

Again, thank you for your help. What’s stranger to me is that this only started to happen in this patch, but it seems fixed. :slight_smile:

Not really strange to me… None of us know what the devs changed… I know they fiddled with performance because I have noticed differences - some things that used to be fine now cause some fps stuttering for me and other things that were a problem now seem better… so its very likely that something they did could be the cause of your issue - at the settings you were running, even a minor change on their part could cause a major issue…

Key is to watch your GPU usage and fps and find a balance that gives you decent performance/quality but doesnt max out the GPU all the time.