No Mastery respec, is bs

Yeah, but that’s supposedly going to get rectified after 1.0? I know it’s been a complaint since online mode became a thing.

2 Likes

Yes, but PoE makes you do the lab again, so it’s not as straight forward as the other 2. D4 can become a bit expensive as well, but not nearly as much as in PoE.

It doesn’t because it’s an expensive strategy and it’s much cheaper/time effective to simply pay for a carry (or get one from a friend/clan member).
But in D4, yes, it does happen quite a lot. Not to mention respeccing to defeat the ubers and then respeccing back to do dungeons.

I was gonna answer that, but @DirePenguin already did. They said they will increase the character slots, let’s see on how many they land and if they further increase it down the line.

You spend 1 hour getting your ‘mastery’

For example Druid is FAR better than Shaman for most things but becomes very evident at 90+, so now we just reroll as the Druid has slightly better stats? why cant the Shaman learn to become a Druid?

You do realise Path of Exile requires Regret orbs to change passives and requires 40 per ascendancy switch

You also have to run the lab again on top of that.

Good point, let’s change the game to require 10,000 in-game hours to select a Mastery!

3 Likes

I can’t tell if trolling or not but just in case. A common idea in real life is that it generally takes 10,000 hours to master a skill. I was relating why it makes sense that something which has the name mastery might not be so easily changed once completed. Your character may have spent the first 9,999 hours practicing before we join them in the story.

3 Likes

Let’s not think about that too much… because if that’s the case, the character is clearly from Dragonball Z : in the next 25 hours (after the 9999 hours), he will transition from auto-attack and 1 basic skill to epic nukes that deals 100k crit :stuck_out_tongue:

(I’m just jesting)

P.S. : IT’S NOT EVEN MY FINAL FORM!

1 Like

History Chanel Aliens Meme Guy
{ Time Travel }

2 Likes

Not with Ascendancy, because they are very expensive to respec during early and mid endgame.

But this kind of thing already does happen in PoE a lot, where you level with skill A and transition into skill B.

If Ascendancy Respec would be significant cheaper (comparable to respecting skills or passives in LE) I am sure there would be some strategies including Ascendancy switches

How is that trolling?

It takes 1 hour from character creation to get it. Gaspar gives it to you and you dont even go through that Shadow realm anymore. You do nothing to get it, he just makes you a …whatever class. Thats it you are now mastered, sounds like you are actually trolling me right now

PoE you have (had) to do:

6 trials in the campaign
3 Labyrinths during campaign with increasing difficulty
Fight Izaro 9 times
Map to yellow maps and RNG find 6 trials that got harder to find all 6 as you found more and more (removed but you still need an Offering)
Do Uber lab and fight Izaro another time

If you die in any Lab/Izaro you have to repeat it. Traps infest the lab doing %hp damage

After doing all that shit, if you want to change your ‘Ascendancy’ (not MASTERY) you need to unspec all your ascendancy nodes at cost then run lab AGAIN. I think after all that abuse you should be able to change ascendancy class

1 Like

I actually dont change my ascendancy at all for a quicker leveling boost. I only change it if the other ascendancy on offer is simply better longterm and that is rare OR I completely shift the character into something else which means im still stuck with the base class anyway

Thats why when making a 150-200+ hour character its better to look at your options of the base class so you possibly CAN switch later to something else.

Typical scenario starting as a Necro summoner and transitioning into Max block self cast Necro much much later

1 Like

What @EHG_Mike meant is that the LORE behind mastery is that it’s something that it takes you 10k hours to MASTER_
Obviously in-game it doesn’t take you 10k hours. Hence the doubt about trolling.

Actually, you ascend as soon as you do the first lab. The rest are just to get more passives. But as soon as you complete the first lab, you’ve ascended and are a necro/shadow/templar/whatever. And if you want you can simply spend 10 orbs of regret (or even none, since many campaign quests give you refund points) and do the lab again to change it.

So the typical scenario is not changing ascendancy.
It’s possible that meta gamers use ascendancy respec sometimes, but even then I’d say it’s extremely rare. I’d be surprised if, during a league, you’d have more than 1 ascendancy respec per 1k characters.

Gasper gives you the mastery after talking to them, theres nothing else.

Not fully and you know that or have you not got that far in PoE

Or people start Hierophant then go Inquisitor for example

People usually just remain the same class from first lab these days but its good to have the option to respec

Ah you are vastly wrong

Once you complete the lab, you have the option to change your ascendancy. Once you do, one second you were a witch, the next second you are a necro. There’s nothing else.
Further labs just give you further skill points, but you have already ascended.

I’d like to know what you base your facts on. Personally, I was in a clan for a couple years and it was very very rare that anyone would respec ascendancy. It was much easier to simply keep the character and ask for a carry rather than spend the resources and time to respec. Because respec usually means that you also respec most of your passive tree, so changing a build will usually cost you close to a divine, which is the price of a carry anyway. Not to mention you can even get free carries all the time.

Not even that, you can get someone to give you a lift to the end of time immediately after character creation!

Are we talking about skills? I thought we were talking about classes/masteries/ascendancies? Besides, we do exactly the same thing in LE@!

And later on in the league, I don’t think the 40 Regrets is particularly expensive (as I understand it).

We are talking about optimal play including strategies involving switching the build from A to B to C over the course of character progression.
(and not the kind were you are unsure and experiment, but the kind where this is pre-planned)

I never ever did this in LE and never felt it’s necessary with skills.

All skills are completely usable and I tegrateable into one’s build as soon as they are unlocked.

The cost to fully respec (if you’re changing ascendancies it’s assumed you want a different build so most likely you will have to respec most of your passive tree) is actually much higher, requiring 100+ regrets. The reason most players don’t actually respec is because you have to actually spend quite some currency and then spend some time and still do the lab.
It becomes much more efficient to simply create a new one and get a carry and then either dump the first character or keep it around for other purposes.

Surely if we’re talking about “optimal play” then that would be to pay for a carry through campaign and monos in a full group by a speedrunner that know what they’re doing & can have it done in a few hours)? Though I suspect that (& your comment about using levelling skills) is a little bit out-of-scope for a discussion about how unfair/unreasonable not being able to respec one’s mastery is like you can do in PoE.

And, if we’re talking about common language useage of the terms mastery & ascendancy, if we ignore flights of stairs the most “common” (given it is not a particularly commonly used word anymore) that one might ascend to are higher levels of importance (in an organisation) and god/sainthood. Neither of which are exactly quick things either, thus while I get Mike’s useage of the term mastery to mean something that takes a long time to attain, I’m not sure that wouldn’t also apply to something one could ascend to just as much. Therefore, why is it ok to have mastery refer to something time consuming (& thus unchangeable in LE) but it’s different to using ascendancy refer to a very similar thing that is not fixed & unchanging?

Just because you didn’t/don’t doesn’t mean that others don’t.

They are, but that doesn’t mean that some aren’t more effective or better to use to level with.

Or it might not be, depends on how much you’re going to respec your passive tree.

Sure. And as I said before, if you finish the lab, ascend and want to immediately respec, it will only cost you 10 regrets, even less because you already have refund points from quests.
However, in general, when you want to change builds in PoE you end up respecing most of your passives because you use different paths. Especially if you’re changing ascendancy.

As I said, it’s something that’s possible in PoE but it’s not really worth doing. In 2 years in a clan I never heard of anyone doing this and, in fact, I didn’t even know this was possible until recently.
Whenever someone wanted to change builds (with different ascendancies) they simply got a carry. I did lots of those because I don’t mind doing the campaign, so I know.

That doesn’t mean that maybe someone uses this every now and then. It’s just rare.

Yes, and you don’t have all your passives in your selected Mastery in LE, the moment you select it from Gaspar. I mean, even if we’re not talking apples to apples, let’s at least keep it fruit to fruit.

According to your logic, you wouldn’t completely select your LE Mastery until Lvl100, and you’ve allotted your last passive point.

1 Like