New Paladin Build recommendation please

Hi all,
I’m looking for a fun Sentinal build that isn’t a 1-2 button walking simulator experience. I’ve seen a few builds online and they all seem to be “Spin to Win”, “Smite on Throw” or something similar. Are there any fun builds that have 4-5 abilities that you need to use?

The favourite things I think about when I think of Paladins and melee fighters are getting up close and personal with the enemy and trying to slam my shield up the enemies nose. I love the WoW type Paladin with shield throw and consecration etc and would like to find a build that’s similar, if possible. Playing a class for hours pressing 1 button is my idea of hell, even if its performance takes me higher in corruption. So, if you’re currently playing a fun and competent build, I’d love for you ti share it with me, so I can enjoy it too. :slight_smile:

I’m currently playing a 5 button melee poison Warlock that I call a Nurgle Knight and loving it. I’m almost 94, so I’m looking for another character so I can remove items from my stash tabs!!! :joy:

Thanks for any advice offered. :hugs:

I use the following: Smite as a main dmg source and the main spam button. Healing Hands as a movement skill. Holy Aura because why not? Sigils of Hope because they offer banans bonuses. Lasty I use judgment to get rid of my Mana in one button press because who needs mana anyway?

There is a VK variant as well that works differently.

If it is about button presses play a Multistrike build where Multistrike Buffs Void Cleave and Voidcleave buffs Erasing Strike with support from Anomaly and Voletile Reversal. 5 Buttons you press 24/7 even 6 if you count your movement presses :stuck_out_tongue: . It’s a VERY fun build because you make a a small bonk to a big bonk to an omegalol bonk. Sadly it has little to no dps and is about playing mechanicly well and care about timing but fun non the less untill it falls off because balancing is meh ^^.

Thanks for sharing @Irrelevant :hugs:
That does sound a bit like a ranged build, which I’m grateful of but I’d like a melee if possible. I don’t mind Smite procs from thrown attacks but I don’t think I could use it as my basic. I’m sure it’s good but it feels a little wrong game wise. I’m not sure about the Void Knight tbh, though the rotation sounds involving and something I’m looking for.

I’m just looking to feel like I’m involved in the fight and not just overwhelmed by massive explosions and over exaggerated graphics. That’s what I love about the Poison Warlock I’m playing, it’s a very clean screen!… ironically. :joy:

I use Healing Hands channeled as main damage dealer (no need for attack speed)
Vengeance for buff + debuff every 2 seconds
Sigils needs to be casted manually, but when clearing trash mobs it will be filled all the time.
Lunge for mobility + heal + stun, 2 charges with 1,5 sec cooldown
The only “problem” is Holy Aura, you don’t have to click it :slightly_smiling_face:
btw with set-up like this it also generates 23k ward and 70% block chance (currently lvl 85)

Then you obviously like melee combat more. Have you checked the Rive, Void Cleave Paladin would be something for you?
Main Damage would be Rive and Void Cleave, Rive procs Healing Hands and Void Cleave procs Abyssal Echos.
You can also play it well as SSF with a 2-handed axe or 2-handed sword.
Edit: Holy Aura as Auto Cast if needed, or push itself :wink:

So how are you attacking? This seems a little odd to me. I’m clearly missing something here.

I like melee in ARPGs as they don’t tend to clutter up the screen and they often feel a little more impactful to play. Five > Void Cleave sounds interesting. I’ve got a couple of idols with smite on throw procs, could that fit into this build? Maybe a movement skill to? I’ve a few ginger gear pieces that could help me. I’ve a few 2h swords, one of them I can fuse with another sword when I shatter another sword, which is awesome, as I’ve gotten Titan Heart chest piece too and some judgement gloves that wants me not to use a weapon…. I’ve not many ginger pieces that have Legendary Potential though, or only 1-2 LP at most.

Skills that I’ve seen and like are Judgement, Shield Throw, Smite (procs), Hmmer Throw, all movement abilities, though Lunge is frustrating as it needs enemies and basic melee abilities look good. Sigils and aura are ok too of course but to many skills like that and I feel like I’m not doing anything. My Cold Shaman felt very much bland as a result of just playing walking simulator. :joy:

Melee Attack and Throw Attack are 2 different Attacktypes.

Rive and Void Cleave is a Melee Attack, i think that wouldn’t fit together.
Void Cleave is also a Traveler Skill and you don’t need a Enemy to move forward.

Base Damage would be, then Fire, Ignite Chance, Crit, Bleed Chance, Blind, Armor Shred, and Damage over Time.

Healing Hands converted to melee + channeled, it does 5 attacks in 1 sec.

Sorry, I thought you were saying that there was synergy with Rive and Void Cleave? If you were speaking about them separately then I think Rive sounds better. I do have a ginger item that says something about Multi Strike, but I’d have to dig that out to see what it does. I’d like a bleed or fire build. I’ve 2x Cleaver Solution, which looks an awesome 1h axe! Would go well with shield too ofc! :slight_smile:

Thanks for this. They mention at the start that it’s broken, so little point trying that. :frowning:

Once the bug is removed, the only difference will be instead of 20k ward, there will be “only” 10k, also if they even nerf ward further, this can be taken to 80% block chance, high endurance etc.
But however you think it’s the best for you :+1:
Played with Rive paladin, but Rive procs Healing Hands, Volotile Reversal for bosses only, so not much interaction in playstyle…

Yes, they go well together, because Void Cleave (has CD) has better clearspeed than Rive itself is good for Mobs around you and or Singletarget, so they go well together and you make good Progress.
And you need a 2 Handed Weapon (Axe or Sword) to use Cleave that is the small disadvantage of the skill.

Here a Video from perrythepig, he plays a Sword and Board with Rive, when you this more preffered:

Healing Hands + Rive | Endgame & Build Guide

Thanks. I definitely want a build that’s fun to play and not a walking simulator, as I don’t find enjoyment doing something that’s a bit brain dead. Investing time into a game should be fun foremost. :hugs:

Thanks, I’ll watch it shortly. There’s very few YouTubers I like tbh. Most just do boring meta builds where the fun is mainly in the design rather than the gameplay. I’ve actively stayed away from some of the meta abilities (profane vail etc) because I don’t want to cheese the game. I’d rather struggle at 200 corruption than cheese to 2000. The thing is, if your build is fun or if you build is not, you still hit a ceiling that you find difficult to progress from. If you have a fun build, you’ll enjoy trying to push it past those difficult times. If you have a meta build you’ll just shelf it and wait for another meta build before proceeding. I enjoy the struggle and the fun it offers. :hugs:

1 Like

That was not the voice I was expecting from Misha…

1 Like

Okay, I’m with you there and I can understand that 100%. I’m also someone who looks at which skill works well, what is being proc’d and whether it feels good. And to be honest, 300-400 corruption is enough to farm, you don’t need more as long as you get through well and your speed doesn’t slow down. And sure, someone has done something like this before, but that would be boring if you copy it directly 1 to 1 and follow a guide, it’s not my thing.
But, I don’t judge anyone who plays by a build guide, everyone as he likes.

Have fun with your experiments :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My build is still coming together (lv86, just starting empowered monos) but it’s a true melee build and I use all 5 buttons. TL;DR version: Rive + auto-Hands, Judgement to spend, lunge+shield slam, dmg-scaled aura. Everything scales through melee dmg, strength, phys/fire, and healing effectiveness. I use all 5 buttons on bosses and all but the stun clearing packs.

Lunge (specced for cooldown recovery, heal, and fire conversion)
Judgement (specced for manaspend and attack damage, no spell component)
Shield Bash (unspecialized slot, could be any other utility, the stun helps skip boss attacks I can’t just heal through)
Holy Aura (specced for crit/damage)
Rive (main attack skill, you can pretty much spec this to taste, I have it on 1-2-1-2-3 with ignite scaling, pull on 2, and more dmg stacked on 3)
Healing Hands (not on bar but specced into an attack w/ autocast on melee hit and damage, be sure to get the Virtue of Patience node near the bottom right since the cast speed penalty has no effect when you only use it as a proc on hit)

Rive is my spammable/mana recovery attack, clears most packs on its own. Judgement is my spender for burst damage. Aura is mainly damage scaled so just pop it against tough rares/bosses, time it against bosses to make sure you can afford to spam judgement as much as possible and don’t have to dodge a telegraphed attack. Shield slam should be saved to interrupt strong boss windup attacks at the last moment. Lunge is almost never on cooldown except when traversing empty areas by lunging at crates.

Passive tree is pretty standard - all the 1 point wonder block chance nodes, healing effectiveness and ignite > str > other dmg scaling, not needing any of the flat spell dmg nodes frees up room for the movespeed one at the end of pally and a decent splash into VK for some crit multi.

Defenses are a bit sketchy without Exsanguinous/ward shenanigans but anything that doesn’t oneshot me or empty my health bar within ~1 second I can just heal through by attacking. With exsang it can become extremely tanky thanks to healing hands converting to ward. Also lots of room to squeeze more damage out of it with good +skills gear, IIRC every damage skill I use has some %more dmg nodes in reach.

If you don’t like the feel of Rive, any other melee 0mana could work in its place (other than spin2win, channeling attacks don’t keep proccing healing hands so the build falls apart). If you don’t feel like you need the stun, you could sub in shield rush for traversing long straightaways with no enemies to lunge at, or volatile reversal bc instacast heal to full is pretty good. sigils don’t do much unspecced but you could spec that instead of lunge if you wanna fit it in. Another big change you could pretty easily make would be using a 2H weapon and taking the double +dmg effect on 2H node for Rive - losing block would prob make Exsanguinous/ward abuse almost mandatory but maybe stacking good endurance gear would be enough? You could def push the damage much higher that way. You’d obviously have to either swap out shield slam (or spec it over lunge and get the no shield required node) but nothing else needs a shield to work.

Top gearing priorities are a good +healing hands helm, as much attack speed as possible for moar healing hands procs, and healing effectiveness (it pulls double duty scaling hands with flat dmg and making all the small heal effects you can get from passives actually heal a meaningful amount). Block and endurance are good options for scaling survivability. If you can get your hands on an Exsang with some LP, you can become almost unkillable thanks to the interaction with healing hands and the absurd rate you can proc it.

1 Like

Ok, there’s a lot there to digest. I’m dyslexic too, so I’ll need a while to look through what you wrote and match it with the game trees.

Thanks again, it looks quite comprehensive!

I have 2x Exsanguinous but sadly no LP on them. :frowning: I also have Titan Heart (no LP) for use with 2h but, I do love a good shield!! I just wish we could transmog them in Offline Mode.

Thanks matey, will try. :slight_smile:

I’m just trying to free up some bag space for it. :joy: I might need to roll a couple of chrs, just to empty a stash tab… :disappointed_relieved::+1:

1 Like