I’ve got a new character that I’ve been playing around with for the last week or so that’s focusing on necrotic damage (both hit and DoT) and the low life bonuses with the unique chest(s)/boots that drain life and generate ward. So far it’s doing good damage and cruised past Lagon and Majasa without any issues, as well as the Monolith bosses up to Formosus in Blood Frost and Death. I just got the boots to drop and made the switch from HP to Ward. Originally I had planned on using Death Seal as the last skill thinking that if it just zeroed out my ward and it immediately started regenerating, it would be doable. Now that I have the chest/boots to test with, it looks like it not only zeroes my ward, but prevents ward generation until Death Seal is over. That means my character would be sitting at a whopping 70ish HP for the duration of the spell, and I can’t imagine it not getting one shot on a regular basis.
This is how the character currently looks. Keep in mind that it’s HC/SSF, so the gear quality is due to a lack of good base item and forging material drops so far.
I’ll eventually start trying to get some more cast speed and crit on my gear, but haven’t gotten that far yet. Cast speed in particular requires getting more mana regen to sustain, otherwise there’s not much point if I’m just waiting for mana anyway.
I just started playing around with Wandering Spirits for the last skill slot. So far it’s just kinda “meh…” It’s not terrible, but it’s nothing to write home about either. Bosses seem to be the only things that get regular hits from the spirits; everything else is just a random bonus but nothing I can really depend on.
Anyone have any suggestions on the last skill slot in particular, or thoughts on the viability of the build in the later end game? Would I be better off ditching Wandering Spirits and something else and going Reaper/Death Seal instead?
Current methodology is:
- AoE curse status for Soul Feast
- Decent supplemental damage; it does about half as much DPS as Soul Feast does
- I’ve intentionally left a point out of Scourge (extra damage but can’t spread) for now because it’s great for clearing packs… I just cast it on a group and even if it doesn’t hit them all or more join the fight, just keep casting Soul Feast and it keeps spreading as stuff dies…
- Main DPS skill
- works great at hitting groups of mobs in arenas that aren’t grouped together; i can tag stuff on opposite ends of the screen and hit both groups simultaneously as Spirit Plague spreads through them
- Originally went with the poison to armor shred conversion thinking that I was going to be getting a big “poison on hit” bonus from Death Seal
- Supplemental damage
- Mostly used for high HP targets or bosses
- Keeps them perm. Marked for Death, extra damage on hit, and every hit adds an extra stack of Armor Shred
- 12% kill threshold
- Movement skill
- Figured if I was going to be using it on my skill bar anyway, I couldn’t think of anything else better to replace it with that wouldn’t require being on the skill bar in its place
- Some damage and if I use it near a boss at the right time, 20% kill threshold
- Supplemental damage
- Doesn’t seem to help much outside of boss fights right now even when it’s on auto-cast
- When the last skill point unlocks, I plan on putting it in the node that lets you cast it at a target location so I don’t have to hug a boss for it to be useful
- Mostly took it because I couldn’t think of anything better to put here