Necromancer Updates coming in Patch 0.8.3

Skeletons and Skeleton Rogues specifically also have a large amount of application, and items like my Lethal Concentration are being added in this patch for helping the scaling.

Nice to see some changes to Necromancer class :+1:

“so we are going to nerf necromancer by making a minion cap”
HOW DARE Y-
“while also buffing necromancer by giving skills more options”
BUT YOU KILLED MY SKELLY BUIL-
“also we are giving skeletons PENETRATION”
BEST PATCH EVER WHEN DOES IT GO LIVE???!!!

2 Likes

The changes to dreadshade killed my Archmage build. As it was the only thing that kept it from being utter crap. I wouldn’t mind the changes if Skel Mages sacrifice skill worked with the (player sacrifice) skill tree. But it doesn’t which means i have no other alternative.

With the changes, i guess the build goes straight to the trash can. This is what i get when i dont follow multi minion builds.

It never has. The only reason that Dread Shade works with your Sacrifice is because it’s your spell doing it. That said, they could change the Skellie Mage nodes to have you cast Sacrifice instead of your Mages, like it does with Zombies.

I guess i wasnt clear.

What i meant is the sacrifice skill tree not dread shade skill tree.

Skel mage’s own sacrifice skill does not benefit from the players sacrifice skill tree.

Skel mage’s sacrifice skill is part of my build along with dread shade.

Yeah, I think I misread this “Skel Mages sacrifice skill worked with the skill tree” as “still worked” rather than “skill worked”.

I quite like that Skele Mage sacrifice is by them. Means it scales with minion damage so I can use it to add an active component to a pure minion build.

Sounds interesting, ill check it out after experiencing possibly the worst league ever in PoE, and ive played that shit for nearly 8 years. im still hanging on but holy shit someone kill me

Any buffs to any game are welcome at this point

I do love playing the Necro. As much as I have to laugh menacingly with my Wraiths covering the screen, there does come a point where I have to recognize what that will do to the game’s performance. I had to turn off the sound effects, because 20+ Fire Wraiths bombing…everything caused some sound issues that most certainly did not come across well on my headphones.

For a smoother game performance, I’m fine with fewer, more powerful minions.

“so we are going to nerf necromancer by making a minion cap”
HOW DARE Y-
“while also buffing necromancer by giving skills more options”
BUT YOU KILLED MY SKELLY BUIL-
“also we are giving skeletons PENETRATION”
BEST PATCH EVER WHEN DOES IT GO LIVE???!!!

Much yes! I shall also have to come up with a mixed drink for this occasion. “Tail of the Abomination,” I think.

Nice changes i think… Dread Shade and taunt are OP in this game but i dont see how good skeletons are gonna to be buff because i fell Skeletons to be ok at best
Melee Skelly are pseudo meatshell wich function is die to get mana/ward back and make Sacrifice worth using.
Bow Skelly have the most clear of the tree (ofc ranged minion got more area clear in every arpg) and work ok conbined by fire mages to clear screens
Rogues are kinda wack, specially because you need 9 point to only have Rogues and they are pretty good by default. A change wich i gonna like is adding a new passive called “Toxic Bones” (or something like this) to make Summon Skeletons make only Rogues and gain increased poison effect…
Another things in the minion needs to clear the screen to not feel clunky rn, making melee minions less good in this regard. The same happen with Primalist companion

1 Like
  • Twin Spirits.
    Good change, nothing to add

• Lone Watcher
    Make the duration infinite. You are already down to 1 shade, and the inc. damage taken debuff is significant. IMO there is no reason not to allow infinite duration /w the downsides

• Age of Undeath
    Imo I’d rather see the downside being that you can’t deal damage yourself, or a damage penalty to the player. Or that you can’t summon temporary minions. Both of these logically makes sense as the Necromancer needs extra focus to keep the Abomination animated. The less skeletons available defeats the purpose of making it permanent in the first place. I don’t really mind what penalty is added for it being permanent, but IMO this solution is really bad. Archmage and -50% skeletons node lets you at least keep a deathknight and 1 chosen strong skeleton, but this is way too harsh.
    Unless I misunderstood the penalty. If it’s 2 limit to BOTH mages and regular skeletons, I’d say the penalty is still harsh but somewhat manageble to build around. I think Abo really needs to be perma. Personally I’d rather see it be completely reworked away from skills gains from minions absorbed. It was a good idea, creative, cool thematically. But in practice it’s annoying and clunky. The model of the abomination looks awesome though.
    In short… I just think the penalty of this one goes against what the change tries to solve.

• Wraith limit change.
    I think this part is good. I don’t see anything I’d like to point my finger at. Seems like a good solution to me.

• Dread Shade
    I agree that a nerfs was needed. And I agree with the solutions made. I’m still just supremely annoyed that the duration can’t just be made to last until the minion buffed dies. Having to constantly babysit this buff being active - is simply not fun.

• Abomination
    I made suggestions for changes in the Suggestions and Feedback forum. Personally I’d rather see a full rework from the ground up. Like mentioned earlier, the idea of making the abomination out of various minions, and it gaining powers from those - is friggin cool as hell! However in practice the whole thing is just frustrating to use. I still think a better solution would be for the abomination skill tree, to have mutually exclusive upgrades for each body part. (taking arms upgrade to make it cause poison with it’s claws, locking out the other X options). Do this for all its body parts (body, head, arms, legs, tail, choose ability X, Z or Y) would still make it abomination themed. Giving us full control over how it looks and what role it fills. I’m not expecting this to actually happen at all though. Just an idea.

• Minion Scaling and Power
    I haven’t done deep endgame stuff. So I can’t comment on these changes since I don’t have the experience to provide any valid feedback.

• Final thoughts

In conclusion I think Abo becoming permanent had to happen, and I’m glad it did. I just think the downside is counter-intuitive to what it solves. Dread shade needs infinite duration. Babysitting a buff in the middle of battle isn’t fun.

Those are my main gripes, any other criticism from me being of minor importance to me personally. In general, from the suggestion and feedback forum post I made. I would really like to see a skeleton priest or cleric that has a utilitary supporting role, being added as a passive branch together with the skeleton warrior, archer and rogue. I also think all of these should have a mutually exclusive skill choice. So that you can choose between 1 of 2 abilities these use, for some sick build potential. Also a visual change to Archmage or Dread Phalanx to make your quality over quantity elite troops look more powerful would be cool. Individual models for the different golems.

You stated that a design goal was to make Necromancer summoner more active. And you stated that you know some people just want to relax. This statement couldn’t be more wrong for me personally. For me LE succeeds where no other summoning game has succeeded before. Insane customization and personal agency over how your army looks and feels, different summoned creatures having different functions.

It isn’t about more or less RELAXED play. It’s about the fun of making a highly personalized build. To have your army be a specific well oiled machine where every part makes sense as a whole. As a hardcore theorycrafter - PASSIVE vs ACTIVE gameplay isn’t even something I think about at all. What I enjoy so much, and where I see the potential in LE Necromancer. Is how deep the customization of your army both as individual parts and as a whole is. There is so much roleplaying potential because of this too (though admittedly few actually care about this).

So if you devs read this. Please realize that for some of us it isn’t about passive or active playstyle. It’s not about “relaxed play”. It’s about creating the most deadly handcrafted theorycrafted machinery of death. It’s about putting hours on end into designing your own army of death how you want it to be.

For me personally, what drew me to LE and the Necromancer in particular so hard I don’t even care about the other classes - is that I finally have a game where I can experiment and assemble the army of my dreams and see it in action. For me active and passive playstyle doesn’t matter. It’s about making intricate well orchestrated armies fitting a theme. Man I could go on forever about this so I’ll stop there.

I’ve had gaming as a hobby for 20 years, your indie studio managed what no one else ever managed. Make a super compelling, fun, advanced and flexible necromancer summoner. Great job please don’t fuck it up :slight_smile:

PoE Necromancer is a big failure imo. Grim Dawn necromancer was a massive disappointment. They adhered to some outdated illogical ideal that Necromancers have to be “quantity over quality” and expendable mobs. No. A necromancer is someone who’s magic affects life and death, among them raising the dead.

You didn’t uncreatively copy D2 necromancer (though I see many inspired similarities). But make no mistake, elite perma minions over many weak ones, was NOT A BAD MOVE. FINALLY someone changed things up as needed like you guys did. You actually did it, made a necromancer that can if they want, play with a small elite crew if they want. Or a mix.

Ehh this turned into ranting. Sorry. I’m just very passionate about Necromancers. And I’m so sick of constantly being disappointed by temporary and timed minions for Necros because so many people THINK a Necro SHOULD be about many expendable minions. That’s as stupid as saying a mage should only have AOE spells or something. Maybe a bad metaphor. Anyway I gotta stop typing. GL with the game looking forward to seeing how it looks on full release.

2 Likes

English is not my mother tongue, can someone check if I understand right?
Does Age of Undeath makes the Abomination only decay if I control 3 or more Skeletons and Skeleton mages?

If so, that’s great news! I’d like to try a build with Golems + Abomination.

Yes…!

BTW, check out this, it helps sometimes: DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator

1 Like

I would like some clarification on “The Age of Undeath” node that makes abominations permanent: do they still decay if they CONSUME more than 3 of those types of minions, or only if you re-summon more than 3 of those minions?

Furthermore: are there any plans to address archmage and dread phalanx?

unfortunately archmage has always been a net loss for necromancers. 5 mages are simply better than 1 mages with 3.6 mage power

I’m really excited to see that Abomination is getting some changes, I think it’s a really cool skill and it sounds like you’ve addressed, at least some of, the weaknesses of it.

Can’t wait to try out the changes next patch.

Sounds overall good changes but I loved the concept of a infinite skeleton army and this update nerfed that :sob:, now I hope this update also start to show us all the stats of every minion because is an awful work to do tracking them by yourself but a must for any summoner mĂĄster.

Abou the abomination I think that make it permanent is a must but the node have more downsides than upsides,I want my abomination to be the champion of my army, not just a bodyguard with two weak skeleton sidekicks, I want him to leas them as a second commander when they charge to the enemies.

Also is sad to see the nerf to the temporary dmg buff I really liked the concept of being behind the army using enchant on them to be more effective like D2 necromancer was.

1 Like

hello so at level 100 how does that work cause of they have 50 percent less damage innately then the level 100 minion power bonus whats thier total damage reduction at level 100 please ty ty

Cool. Can’t wait to try out a new Necro build in 0.8.3