Multiplayer when?

If all you play are AAA titles, then sure. But even then, fairly large, open beta scenarios are quite common as well. I have never not been part of a Blizzard beta cycle, for either WoW or D3.

1 Like

Is there a compelling reason why people have to play D4 or PoE 2 or LE? Is it impossible for people to play more than one game? Especially when they’re season-based.

1 Like

Who can say this at this point? Games are not out, yet. We don’t know how they play and feel.

If PoE 2 is just the same as PoE 1 with better graphics and new classes/weapons, but has the same “vision” as the current game with the last league, it propably won’t be for me then.

I was on the fence of diving into PoE last league, but the changes completely killed the fun for me. I’ve played 4 leagues so far and and fun increased every time. Just to be completely stopped by the bullshit changes they made last league. Even for me as a more casual player the rewards felt terrible. They changed mechanics they shouldn’t have touched. So I’m not sure if they can get PoE 2 right for me personally. Let’s see when it releases.

Same with D4. Looks great from teasers, the beta players are praising the game. Hopefully it can be the Messiah of ARPGs. But Blizz has already fucked up so many times in the recent past. I will wait for release and reviews before playing that game.

LE I already own and love. My issues are mostly based on being bored after almost 2k hours of playtime that I put into the game since EA release. I’ll play it, no matter what other games release and I will come back every single cycle. I’m sure.

LE is already mentioned among D3/D4 and PoE1/2 and the ARPG world waits for it to release.

Of course it would be commercial suicide if they would release within the same window as one of the others. They should release before one of these games or a good time after, to let the hype settle. I’m sure the devs are aware.

But honestly and personally I think that the MP release with 0.9 will be more important than 1.0.

In the end LE has to coexist among the new triple a games. The potential is there and I hope for a healthy player number for ongoing support.

hello everyone, I wanted to comment, that I have opened this thread with the intention of asking when they were going to release new content or the multiplayer, but I have seen quite a lot of misplaced opinions, … it does not seem normal to me that they compare games … of normal, it’s ugly to compare… but even more so when you compare large companies that have an army of workers with a humble company that is doing things well in my opinion.
Again I repeat that the thread is to know when they would release content and congratulate the last epoch team. Thank you all

If they release multiplayer with no wipes in the future, then it’s a release for me.

I said mine not very long and back ago, when it comes to THIS game, which is called Last Epoch, but still people are comparing and mentioning PoE, Diablo and other games. I mean, why?
This is the Online part which concerns Last Epoch. Not Diablo. Not Path of Exile. Not Wolcen, or Hades or whatever.
I do not care about these other games, let´s focus on Last Epoch, shall we?

1 Like

We’ll play them all, but which do we tell our friends to buy for multiplayer action? That’s what counts the most. The game with the most praise wins the vote of confidence, larger twitch viewers, and it all snowballs into sales. PoE2 and D4 have a rolling start from their previous titles, brand awareness and console presence – LE, which is very special for its many traits… awesome skill trees, class/subclass systems, monos, offline option, freshness in the genre, and what seems to be an already successful EA still needs every advantage to eat the most arpg player pie.

I’m rooting for this title – and from what I’ve seen, there’s much to be ‘figured out or developed’ in the other titles’ end game. An over reliance on Seasons to keep players engaged has plagued Diablo, it’s going to happen again. Some people like those fresh starts, personally I like re-experiencing level 1 as a twink only.

I apologize for bringing up a game that is relevant to me, with over 9000+ hours in D3 and thousands of forum posts written in the past – the release of LE is quite relevant as I’m deciding what to play for the next several thousands hours.

1 Like

People said this about POE vs Diablo, in the beginning. So to think that LE, somehow, can’t manage to attract the masses that are tired of Blizzard and GGG’s bullshit is pretty silly.

1 Like

This is a discussion that arose because of your question. Sorry, that you’re sad that we couldn’t discuss it for days. But it also wasn’t that epic. Its asked and answered once a day on several platforms, so people moved on to shift the discussion into something more interesting.

Why do you think it’s not normal but “ugly” to compare games? What a weird phrase.

Also you’re getting things completely wrong with this current discussion. Nobody said that EHG doesn’t make things right. LE is a good game and people here care about its future. Most people know that they can’t come up with the same quality like a triple a studio. But they could close the gap as far as they can. And they should care about the release window because they are the indi game that wants to exist between the others.

There are maybe a few people that buy LE because they want to support indi devs and for the same reason boycott the big studios. But these people are an exception. With only these people as support EHG couldn’t make a living. The majority of people doesn’t care about the dev studio. They look at the product first and buy it if they like what they see. If they think the game looks cheap/crap, they don’t go “Oh, its crap and I don’t like it, but I’ll buy it because its indi”. Relying on compassion isn’t a viable marketing strategy.

It’s the attitude that matters. EHG doesn’t run around like “Oh look, we can’t do better, because we’re just a small team. Please don’t compare our game with others. That’s not fair.”. Instead they go the opposite way. The work together with PoE streamers to force that comparison. So they can be like “Look, what a good game we’ve created compared to the big players. And this despite being just a small team. Acknowledge what we have created!”

You may find it unfair to compare games, but how would EHG ever want to develop a game that might become a hit if they were afraid of these comparisons and dodge them?

Comparing is absolutely necessary. The context is important.

Because it’s important. Putting in ear plugs doesn’t solve anything. Bioware failed hard with Anthem because they did not look left and right. You have to know your competition.

You as a customer don’t care about other games. The company that develops games should care very much. And people here that think more ahead than their own feet do so, too.

2 Likes

I might put a foot behind a line I shouldn’t but, as a father, you should care less about a things a stranger wrote that you may disagree on a forum and care more of the time your son is spending on gaming/internet.

When I ask, “Is there a compelling reason why someone will pick LE over D4 and PoE2?”
Its a question, not a statement.

When it comes to living service games, people usually stick to one. How many Fortnite players play Warzone? They attract different demographics you may say. There is a reason to pick one or the other.

LE needs an identity like PoE is hardcore, & deep. Its weakness are it’s multiplayer, accessibility etc

LE could set apart itself by providing depth but without unneeded complexity, as well as a decent MP for instance. Which is why I think MP is so important to LE.

Unless you can win on brute force, its better to have something valuable that fill a gap in the genre.

Na, this interpretation goes a bit too far, my friend :slightly_smiling_face:

Is this based on any facts? The reason I ask is that my teenage son and his dozen or so gamer friends play multiple games on a daily basis. They all play Fortnite, then Valorant, then CSGO or Overwatch or Warzone - this can be on a single day. Expand this to a week and you can add another half dozen games to the mix (games of varying genres but multiplayer) - they play them all and never exclusively. The same kids playing Overwatch till midnite will play Terraria all afternoon the next day and then CSGO for the night or Sea of Theives the next.

Personally, I play multiple games at the same time. Usually a spread of genres but I have had plenty of occassions where i have multiple arpg games installed and have played regularly. I am too old now to bother with multiple games on a single day but I have regularly played a week of D3, then PoE, then GD in the past.

So, based on my own experience and having to weather teenage boys screaming at each other while playing online co-op, I definitely dont agree that people play one game at a time. Even in a single genre. No chance.

EDIT: the only time I would consider this assumption true would be in situations where players have limited time and/or financial means to only play one game at a time or for a specific period.

ps. and yes, my kid plays too much

3 Likes

You were editing when I was writting, our words crossed each other

1 Like

I want my Falconer !
:sob:

1 Like

So did we.

I would respectfully suggest/question that FPS player’s habits are different to aRPG players’ habits. Of the people that I know who play aRPGs, all of them play (or have played before they became bored) all 3 of those (D3, PoE & LE). Is that a statistically significant sample? No, but it’s as pertinent to the argument as yours (& Vapour’s).

Also, telling people that they’re a bad parent is kinda a dick move.

2 Likes

I think the genre and the players’ attitude is very important for the matter if somebody plays several games or just one.

For example an MMORPG sucks in a lot of your time. In many cases the game needs the player to contribute the majority of his playtime into it if he wants to progress. It’s the nature of these epic games to demand your time. When I started playing WoW back in the days, I didn’t touch any other game for years. Nothing could get me away from it.

ARPGs don’t do this. They provide seasonal content that you can jump into regularly without the fear of missing something if you were absent for a while.

Shooters are a different thing. You can play various shooters “simultaneously” depending on your current mood or what your friends are up to.

If you’re into professional gaming you’ll put everything into one game and specialize into it to have the best training effect. But if you play just for fun, it’s not uncommon to have several games you can swap to.

Even in different genres. I had a time when I switched from Team Fortress 2 to Heroes Of Newerth, Call Of Duty and Battlefield.

2 Likes

LE is not the only game outside D4 & PoE2. we have undecember, Wolcen, & who know what other arpgs coming out soon.
Also, the idea of relying D4 & PoE player toplay LE in off season seems not just hopeful, but also depressing. They may play other games (inlcude non arpg & also rolate between D4 & PoE2) you know.

Do the playerbase & dev think LE role is just bridemaid., or the friend of the cool guy.

indie or not, LE should have selling point that make it stand out so new will want to pick it up over other, instaed of hopeing D4 & PoE players play LE as a off season game.

I am sound harsh, but every little details can affect the sucess of LE.

That’s a very unrealistic expectation to have. The POE and D4 budgets, and team sizes, dwarf what EHG is capable of. There is no world in which a brand new indie ARPG launch is going to immediately win over people happy with giants like POE or D4. Those players have to be earned and they will most likely be earned when taking a break from their main ARPG.

I think LE absolutely has selling points and should be well placed to fill the niche they are hoping for. what happens after that is up to the support of the players.

3 Likes

In the last dev stream Mike said something very important, that was like this:

D4 and LE will exist together for a very long time. And there’s not much to win by beating D4 in terms of release date. This is not worth rushing things and risk a bad release from which they might not recover. And it’s not worth risking the health of EHGs employees by putting the pressure on them and dive into crunch time.

Imho, this is a very reasonable take on the situation.

6 Likes