Multiplayer Progress Update - November 2021

That’s not a “thing.” Anything the corporation does is its own business, and not subject to 1st Amendment. If the government tells a corporation to censor a certain kind of speech, the corporation can tell the government to pound sand, and the government can’t do anything about it. If the corporation is like “yeah, ok we’ll do that”, then its still a corporate decision and still not subject to 1st Amendment.

Anyway, this all falls outside of the scope of this thread. As far as paying money for a product and then the company taking the product away based on a company policy, and you demanding a refund, then that is contract law (not 1st Amendment at all) and would depend pretty heavily on the wording of the contract you agree to.

3 Likes

True but at the same time it cost more because of the longer years they had to develop the game. And when it was finished it actually felt like it which not many games can say those days.

The competition between many genres were also higher since many top notch games were released. This is one of the reasons Westwood had a hard time later on (not the full story though).

What i mean is, you simply couldnt get away with releasing a half baked game because the competition was to big for it. Nobody would play the game then. So less risk is not fully true in every way/department in my opinion.

Anyways iam glad that LE seems to take the old fashioned route.

1 Like

Pre-internet there was no practical way to update your games, outside of floppy disks/CDs on magazine covers…

I’m also not entirely sure that games are developed much faster now than in the past, I wouldn’t be surprised if it were the other way round if anything (certainly if you go far enough to the times of games fitting on single 1.4 meg floppy disks).

2 Likes

Yep i still remember the TZZZding HINHngGhingh sounds while connecting internet lol.
Iam not sure either for every game if they are developed much faster.
It should be in some ways atleast with all the updates on developing and with all the shared information they can acces way easier nowadays. I developed a little bit myself by finding information on the internet. Its insane how fast you can do things nowadays because of all the tutorials and open source etc.

But if you don’t deliver a full game or close to it, it saves time surely :wink:

I still love this, as, I’m sure, will @Heavy.

Yes, but they have so much more to develop now, more lines of code (-> more bugs), more art/gfx/etc.

2 Likes

Hahaha that video is sick i adore it :sunglasses:

True to some degree but dont forget you can copy A LOT of code aswell. Also it really depends on the type of game you want to make.

Trust me, as an developer you probably prefer to be in this age and day then back in the day.
I think you underestimate the power of the opensource tutorials and all the extra time saving futures that programs have and the internet has.

At the other hand, people do expect more from games so yeah there is that… haha
In the end of the day there is a reason that indie pixel games are popular. The basics are really strong (story, combat, feel, emotion, music etc). That doesnt mean that the coding needs to be really difficult if you know what i mean.

Yes, it gives me more of a warm fuzzy feeling than my kids do TBH…

Yeah, I’m an accountant, I wouldn’t know, I’d just assume that the “triple A” games would be waaaaaaaaay more complex than they used to, even with all the “labour saving doo dads” that you youngsters have nowadays. I assume that complexity & stuff grows in a decidedly non-linear way with the size of the code base.
[/quote]
That doesnt mean that the coding needs to be really difficult if you know what i mean.
[/quote]
No, but yes.

Nice video. I have one favourite about programming :smiley:

1 Like

Iam glad you calling me a youngster :wink: since iam not the youngest anymore :star_struck:
My kids are to young to understand that shit yet but i will show them when they are older haha until they are sick and tired of it.

Hahahaa

1 Like

I think this is taking far too long. The longer you wait the higher our expectations will be when multiplayer drops. I’m losing interest and when a lot of other multiplayer titles are to be dropping over the course of this next year, you may very well lose me and others. I’ve got friends who want to play the game, but aren’t pulling the trigger due to no multiplayer. I mean how long are you going to wait. Single player is great, but I want the choice to be able to socialize with my friends and play the game. Get it done already man .

That might be so, however when a game is good people will come back to it anyways.
A lot of good games proved this while players kept saying i lost interest.
Lost Ark is one of the many examples. So many players said no no i lost interest but now they are coming back to played it anyway.

Dont get me wrong i would love to trade items with my best friend who plays the game aswell just like i do in POE.
The thing is people will leave the game aswell quickly when multiplayer is bad right?

soo hyped! We are a group of 5 ppl waiting for the multiplayer to drop! Thank you for keeping us posted and taking it so serious, that we can enjoy that game!

I believe one of you might be a tad disappointed…

3 Likes

True… Because of rl reasons we are rarely all 5 on at the same time. So still looking forward to it…

1 Like

Why not release multiplayer in phases in order to allow us to start progressing on the multiplayer servers asap?
Initial Phase: You can play on the multiplayer servers, but grouping, trading, and any other problematic systems are disabled.
Subsequent Phases: Enable features in multiplayer mode as they are developed.

They are:

Devs only → Friends & Family → Community Testers → Everyone else.

That’s a bit different. I’m suggesting that they release the multiplayer features in phases so they don’t have to have multiplayer 100% complete before we can start playing on the multiplayer servers. What you mentioned is a phasing in of the player base.

As a software developer of employee tracking system, I can say that it takes time to do all that what you guys were talking about here. But agree that there are should be some changes/