Multiplayer Progress Update - February 2022

So no offline client? I was under the impression that there would be an offline client for players who wish to not play online. Curious if that is still a plan?

Thats great progress, might be closed than we anticipated POG

1 Like

I can appreciate how that came off. It’s more the distinction of how we have to develop it internally; where ideally our offline client becomes the simpler of two elements to ship and the core team is all constantly testing/building/making content in the MP environment.

This is not a confirmation or denial of an offline client, which we’ve answered elsewhere :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think that the real question that everybody’s thinking is, “when will Llama’s Primalist be able to bait @EHG_Mike into standing in yet more Wengari Avalanches by covering them up with his own Avalanche?”. You know it’ll happen & you know people want to see it on-stream.

3 Likes

Poggers

An important topic indeed. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not saying that you should add in code to slow down Mike’s characters when there are big hits to avoid, but it’s something worth thinking about.

Very good stuff, however I do wish you were implementing a matchmaking system.

We do intend to have a way for players to find other players to party up with. This would be done after you’ve already logged in, on a specific character, and are in a zone in the world. We don’t have details to share here just yet but we know it’s important

My understanding is that we’d only go online once we select Multiplayer as a mode. As for specifics, that seems to be a tad hazy.

That worries me…
I hope that when you say “multiplayer” you actually mean “online”, and that I will still be able to play the game I like the way I like it (solo), without huge balance / drops / whatever disadvantages.
This article reads like multiplayer would be something completely separate from soloplayer, pretty much from character creation. A new game, maybe a good one, but a different one. “After-last Epoch”…

In other words, much better phrased than mine:

Although I would extend the question to the rest of the game, not just monolith. When you say “multiplayer crafting”, “multiplayer campaign”, do you just mean online, or does that involve mechanics changes?

1 Like

Sound like the real tangible MP update is about 2 months out… well. Close enough :slight_smile:

I hope you are not skipping a March update to focus on multiplayer?

1 Like

I don’t think it will be a brand new game; too much effort has gone into it already, but multiplayer isn’t as easy as just letting two players murder the monsters in the same area. I mean it could be, but to make a richer experience, there are definitely some important considerations:

• Do players all have to be in the same area together or can we split the party to find specific nodes faster?
  • If players must travel together, how will players in a party choose which node to go to in a monolith (like is there a voting system?) or do they just follow the first player?
  • If you make progression in a party, does that count as progression for your character if you go back to solo mode?
  • Can you join a party that is doing content you haven’t unlocked yet (like empowered monoliths)?

Answering and implementing these questions (and more) means that multiplayer requires dedicated design beyond just figuring out how to put two players in the same instance.

4 Likes

Ahhh, I’m tired to wait, all I need is MP and trade but devs do it terrible slowly

Good Job. Keep working on optimization. Even singleplayer degrees going crazy, with multiplayer don’t know how nuts temperatures.

Personally I’m not really keen about multiplayer, but I do want trade. The thing I read here that I was most interested about is that campaign is ready. All I need to know is when they will add it to the game.

Is there any plan to make harder lvl 100 or something about that? it so easy make lvl 100 char and i miss the exp feel after that, and i think with multiplayer it comes even much quicker then now…

great article! thanks for all the info and clarity on your goals. Can’t wait to help via testing to see what this game can really do! Thank you EHG for all your hard work <3

I thought that none of my Beta Characters will be playable in Multiplayer. My beta characters, my beta stash, my beta crafting materials… all of those should not be migrated to Multiplayer. What exactly is going to be migrated, that this is a “complex process”?