Multiplayer Progress Update - December 2021

This is precisely why I would prefer there not be multiplayer. Increased loot/exp only forces the devs to balance things down to accommodate and that hurts single play.

Everyone said they wanted MP just so they could play with their friends. I knew that was a lie and people actually wanted a play advantage.

1 Like

So you use your imagination to support your false statement.

I’m in the same boat. I mean, I don’t care if there is MP or not, for its own sake. But I definitely do not want solo drop rates to be affected just because players are getting too much loot in MP/Groups. No thanks.

1 Like

The context of what was quoted in my post matters. It supports my claim, even if my claim was a bit hyperbolic.

1 Like

how can i try multiplayer ??

You wait till it’s been implemented.

Or invent a time machine & travel to the future & play it then.

1 Like

3 Likes

Go read what you quoted and see whether what you said make sense.

1. I never said I wanted MP to play with friends

2. I never said I wanted MP for increased loot/exp

3. I want MP for a good MP experience. I want a proper online game. With actual MP experience, where I look forward to play and interact with the wider community. Not some single player ARPG creating online function and party mode but no one actually use it or interact.

1 Like

I mostly just want MP to be able to trade and use the bazaar.
However, never really thought of how it’d affect loot rate drops. I imagine if you were partying up with 3 other random people and all having to share the same amount of loot would be awful to progress your own gear. On the other side I can see how people don’t want to feel like they need to party to be efficient to trade best items with each other.

Let me do a quick brain dump of what I generally think about MP from my own perspective.
Note: I’m older, kid in school, active outside the house, small pockets of time for video games.

• I don’t like it when it takes more than 5-10 seconds to find people to group with.
  • I don’t like it when I group with immature/annoying people.
  • I don’t like it when I group with chaotic/griefing people.
  • I don’t like it when I group with people who are super-new and don’t know the basics.
  • I don’t like it when I group with mega-ultra-power gamers who move at Mach 50 and whine because I’m not as fast as they want.
  • I don’t like it when people want to play for several hours and get annoyed that I only want to group for a short period of time.
  • I don’t like it when loot is somehow randomly distributed - I prefer instanced loot (i.e. I get my loot, you get your loot, we don’t even see each other’s loot).

So, my definition of “Good Multiplayer” is implementing a system which solves every single one of those issues - no exceptions. If EHG doesn’t, that’s fine, but then I’ll be sticking to solo play. And my solo play had better not get altered in any way because of MP.

Tbh. I don’t give a shit about your perspective when it seems like you don’t give a shit about others.

3 Likes

If u join a rando party and no one wants to interact, thats hardly EHG’s fault…

If the MP require some form of “force interaction” eg. 2 person to open a chest, or step on 4 tiles simultaneously etc etc, it might backfire and turn some people off.

So it boils down to your own party groupies.

And in the end, do we need to incentives party play with “more rewards” for people screaming for MP to use it

Or

Are they genuine in their intention that partying up with friends and family, trade items in party, are enough for them.

First, to clarify. “Interact” does not mean chatting within the party. I simply mean that grouping up to play LE has to be an interesting way to play the game. I dont care how EHG incentivise group play or make it interesting, but I would assert it is EHG’s responsibility to make MP fun to play with (for those like me who care about MP) when they introduce this mode.

I sorta agree but since MP has rando players mix in the formula, i dont think its all 100% EHG

Do u means a different way of gameplay other than the traditional party up and clear maps? Can u quote some examples to have a better picture?

Not quite. The example I see quite a few people mention and which I experienced quite some years ago, is party play in D3. Like, the build variety and itemisation is complete crap in that game, but I remember jumping into a rando party and play the game was a fun thing to do.

The other time I had good MP experience was in the early days of POE where it was very common for randos to join public ledge/docks party and clear the map. I have not sat down to think deeply why D3 multiplayer and POE early days multiplayer work*, but if LE MP can bring that feeling to LE gameplay, I would consider that successful.

PS: *my quick guesses as to why modern POE group play fail is for the following reasons:

1. too vast power differential between various tiers of “viable” builds;
  2. too much differential in movespeed across builds;
  3. too many progression systems where only the host gain progression hence incentivising solo play (i.e. everyone wants to be their own host)
1 Like

Ahh so i get this part and it makes alot of sense. I hope EHG take note of this.

2 Likes

Yeah, no game is going to match that these days. Diablo 2-3 had the best MP due to their matchmaking systems and basic gameplay. D2 was ‘xx runs’ join games starting with Trist/Baal etc or playing D3 people doing normal rifts - people knew what to do and didnt have to communicate, infact most good players in D2 were bots in public games

LE already has a massive issue with synthesis style PoE progression system where only the map owner gets credit, almost everyone who plays PoE and thus rival developers should also of known the massive issues they have had with shared progression

It basically sounds like you need to sit around for 10 minutes to decide what you are doing in LE before a session begins, it sounds actually worse than PoE grouping because people have that shit down to a science now ie Rotas.

No one plays in groups in POE for fun…thats the core issue

I agree I could see alot of issues with monolith MP gameplay based on how the mono web is designed.

I always asked here why people like the new MP mode that is coming soonish if it does not offer any different gameplay experience mechanics wise (not loot wise).

They said they want to hang out with their friends and that alone is reward enough. I dont think ppl are honest and just want to be boosted without doing anything and on top getting lots of loot. Aka becoming a loot goblin/ loot vacuum cleaner and get bored fast.

With MP only mechanics i mean special monsters that only spawn in parties ,with different abilties for the extra challenge, but without the usual extra loot.

That would be something actually new and entice people to do some challenges instead just playing a loot pinata mode.

For me, I basically have no intention of playing with others. If, by some odd chance, I get some of my RL friends to buy the game, then sure, I’d love to roll up a character and play it only when they are online too (so we remain close in level) and we’d get on my Discord and talk and have fun. I’d expect the same game (basically speaking) and the same loot as when I’m alone. Nothing more or less. Just - being able to do it with someone I know.