Multiplayer Progress Update - August 2021

Thanks for the update.

Excellent update and look forward to the changes.

Exciting times!!!

Keep up the great work :grin:

I just want to say, to all dev teams, thank you for your hard work.

You make this game ,that we love, better and better.

And nice communication, I like the fact you share a lot with us your advacement. For me, it helps me to wait every patch.

Take the time to make this game unbelieveable.

Greetings,

Hey! Actually we’re working that out literally right now, we were just having discussions today. We are considering a first format that will work for testing, and then whether or not we want a competitive and non-competitive form of Arena to be available.

Right now any death kicks players out of Arenas and we aren’t going to keep that. But it is pretty funny for internal testing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is great and regarding MP and the approach EHG is doing a wonderful job, on doing now all of this effort to provide when is out a smooth experience, a thing that sadly is done on reverse by many others and as we all know “a very bad first impression, stays forever” so i’m glad and proud of EHG pre-release massive effort meanwhile many others rush to put out and “we will fix the mess weeks or month later”, so EHG +1 RESPECT !!! No rush, when its ready to be out than let it out, if still some work, we can all wait because all circles back to the “first impression”. Keep up with this good work !

Ha! I was just going to ask how death worked in a MP Arena. I actually like the idea that ANY death ends it. That makes it more difficult to cheese low level players and get them free xp. Normally I like the “power level” kind of thing, but in this game I don’t think it’s necessary. I also think this would highly encourage more SUPPORT builds. As a support type player in other games, I love the notion of a group really playing and working together to master content.

I’d say keep this in the Arena, or make it an option with it’s own ladder to really encourage true group play.

2 Likes

We like this. :wink:

Like the Primalist class? I hear ya!

I, on the other hand, thought it would be a more fun arena experience if allies could revive fallen brethren.

Eg with a “skill” that takes, say, 5 sec to cast. The party when trying to push high waves and have fallen allies would then need to make adjustment to see how they can free up another party member to revive the dead member.

This is definitely great news, I really appreciate the attention to detail in describing what’s getting done, the transparency is refreshing. Seeing that you are also preparing with “emergency alternatives for potential sudden spikes in concurrent players” is extremely great to see considering that this is something that seems to get missed a lot. Also, scaling up is done by most companies, but they usually do it so late that they don’t get to test it properly, and then run into a slew of issues at launch. It sounds like you guys are on the right track, I look forward to seeing the progress continue.

1 Like

Revival is not off our radar. But it does have a ton of precedent in many existing games and results in very specific styles of gameplay; it takes production time to even develop the feature enough to representative to test it, so when we do want to test it it will be a matter of choosing whether or not we are interested in it enough

1 Like

I’ll just toss out “Do it like reviving Companions” and pretend its actually that easy in the code… roflmao! :slight_smile:

Ok sure. I thought that would be a cool idea but am not enamored with it. I thought that was basically what @XLVI_carpo was talking about though :sweat_smile: so was excited thinking about it especially when I thought your reply to him was a positive response that you folks are experimenting along that line.

Having a revive ability that takes 5s channeling time could be really hard to be used in Arena. If you are the only person that is left, you won’t be able to use it. Standing still for 5 seconds will kill you.

The moment you reach the every 5 waves checkpoint you could revive. But then it’s just a tedious mandatory task, so you imho you could just skip this and automatically revive party members at this checkpoint.

This can be very exciting when you teammates die and you have 2 waves left. If you somehow manage to survive, you can save the day and be the hero. People cheer on you in voice chat!

I’d love this!! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

3 Likes

Yes, revive the fallen at the restpoint between waves would be a good idea. I agree, standing 5 seconds trying to revive someone would not be possible. ^^

5 sec is just a random figure I tossed out. The concept is basically to allow for an ally to revive you by doing something. It can be instant if that make sense for a fun balance.

So I don’t think we need to be hung up about the 5 sec but rather, do we think the idea that a ally can do something to revive a party member is something that would make MP arena interesting.

1 Like

Yes, you’re right.
I’d say it could be half the time it takes to revive an animal companion.

I think we should focus on your 5 seconds revive suggestion… And how you could ever think, this might be a good idea!! :wink::rofl:

5 SECONDS… FIVE! WTF

I mean, this has to be easer to do, coding-wise, then something brand new, right?