MTX Pricing is still pretty awful!

If its one of your uploads you need to clock on the image then the “get share links” & I think the 3rd one down.

1 Like

Cool thanks Llama!

1 Like

It’s pretty much undeniable that this is the way it works. If you’re not primarily selling the core content, then the core content will suffer. It’s been true for so long in mobile games that most of them are barely even games at this point.

I’m glad we agree on some of the other points. I guess the other thing I would just clarify here is that how you monetize a game has a lot to do with how people use and interact with it, as well as the lifecycle of the game itself. These things are inseparable in so far as how players feel rewarded and what devs have the incentive to do as far as changing and outdating earlier content. F2P / Cash Shop / Gacha monetary models all have different effects on that depending on the type of game, and none of them seem to be positive in terms of being good value for the player, in my estimation.

You are conflating other reasons why mobile games are a failure with them using similar monetisation approach (i.e. mtx) with the games we’re discussing. They failed (from your perspective) because they were never designed for longevity, not because they sold mtx.

Again, I want to bring back the relevant example here. POE has been selling MTX while the game itself goes free since its inception. Ten years on, POE is a commercial success (enough for them to even host 2 dedicated game con in a country that’s not typically on people’s travel radar); and arguably the best ARPG in the genre.

So I completely disagree with your assertion that games that sell mtx rather than just for a box price are doomed for failure.

For some reason I have this fascination of seeing GGG’s quarterly’s. I would absolutely love to see how much it cost to produce each league versus income from supporter packs, tabs, mtx and gamba.

Tencent is publicly traded, I wonder if digging around enough will lead to some numbers. I am guessing no, as up until now I have never seen published data. The most I have seen was that one presentation Chris did years ago.

1 Like

I recall during the period when Chris announced Tencent’s acquisition, someone dug up GGG’s financial statements - if I recall, it’s NZ law for their companies to publish publicly so it’s definitely out there. But I doubt we will find finegrain break down of their finances. I do recall they were very profitable.

Or GGG still holds QOL features hostage behind a paywall (special tabs etc) once you have all of them and the company also was bought by Tencent and no longer is a small indi developer why would anyone want to support them in that fashion anymore, you have everything you need to have a good time, they are offering nothing of value to you anymore as a consumer and they provide a free game and you have already spend hundreds over the course

LE is already in this boat for me, I dont care if they make a good a league, I already bought the game so I shouldnt have to pay more if they decide to keep the game running instead of doing a Grim Dawn/D3 and having it a 1 off purchase/xpacs, unless they force me to pay for new content (which im fine with) charging me ridiculous amounts for nothing tangible isnt going to work

edit: just pointing out I also bought the $150 D4 pack and dont know what I even get apart from 4 days early access as thats all I cared about. Comes with some pass I dont give a shit about.
I got the Ashava MTX from the beta which money cannot buy…so Ill be wearing that of course

You can buy all tabs they have and be set for the price of a AAA game, the only difference being PoE offers literal 1000’s of hours of content if you truly enjoy the game. I see nothing wrong with this, the only thing GGG can fuck off with is loot boxes. They cared a small bit by making it so you dont get dupes anymore (I think), but loot boxes just need to go.

@jerle

As someone who puts a lot of money into the games you feel passionate about, how would Bliz’s current bullshit affect you if PoE or LE pulled it? Hell, how do you feel just about what is actually happening with D4?? I am genuinely interested, I hate calling you a “whale” because the connotation it brings, I just am really curious how some of these things would affect you if you were deeply invested into the game.

By current bullshit I mean announcing a race days before EA, inducing that good ole’ fomo from players that never had a chance to win? They just came out and said testers arent allowed to win, so big of them…

I hate being forced to pay for QOL features, its dirty and is PoE’s base armor graphics. its buckets, wood shield and dicks on your head

The point is GGG can only scam you for so long until you have all the tabs and the MTX you need forever meaning you dont HAVE to buy anything more, its almost like a progression based spending system.

I still remember the day I bought my Currency tab and Map tab in PoE and the monumental relief of moving all my gumball maps/currencies into a dedicated tab. It wasnt fun but my god it was like a massive weight had been lifted and I had to pay 12-15$ for it

also on value for money, after being bored of new Torchlight Season after 1.5 weeks and spending $20 on the season pass (which I have to play to complete the fkn thing)

I bought this game for $22 Ghostlore on Steam
fkn amazing game made by 2 people, played it for 90 hours in 2 weeks but I probably wont touch the game maybe ever again after June 2 but I dont care as its content…

1 Like

I agree, having to pay for QoL sucks, but there exceptions to the rule. I feel PoE and from what I read, Warframe does it in a way that is digestible ( thanks @Force ). How would you have PoE do things differently? I think its pretty cool you can play all the way up to maps without paying a cent, at that point if you like the game you grab a currency tab and a tab bundle for like $25. From there you impulsiveness is what dictates how much further you go down the rabbit hole.

Agreed also that PoE looks like absolute poop without mtx, I have sort of become accustomed to it, and thankfully can make some sort of monstrosity from the random mtx I get when I buy my weta’s each league.

Thanks for sharing Ghostlore, I am going to check it out.

1 Like

Unlikely, GGG is too small a part of too large a company. The best you’d get is some broad numbers about the gaming section and the top and possibly bottom few performing subsidiaries.

Yup, the financial statements need to be published yearly (9 months and 1 day after the end of the year). They can be interesting though they don’t tend to go into much detail on individual leagues. But the p&l and balance sheet can be interesting.

The best bit is that they’re available online for free (just like the UK) without having to do much searching.

Have a look at their stat accounts, they get plenty of “support”/sales.

Yup, and that’s how it should work. If you dont want to spend any more money you shouldn’t have to.

I’ve mentioned my sentiments around D4 is similar to what @Force and yourself have shared - I’m not fully convinced this blizzard team truly understand ARPG or has the autonomy to run the game in a way that would ensure their long term success for decades. My attitude towards D4 is simply that it is a very polished game (I have to say it feels way more polished than LE. But that is only to be expected from Blizzard) with a back story that is familiar to, and beloved by ARPG fans. So the “current bullshit” you’re alluding to, is fully within what I expected from this D4 team :slight_smile:

but

I would be deeply disappointed. But the extend to how I might react really depends on the severity of the situation and the response from either team (I dont think we can expect them to always get it right the first time). I am also more likely to cut the teams some slack especially if they have built up good will over time (I’ve experienced ups and downs with GGG and was quite disappointed with how they handled my div card (on hindsight, maybe I was just a victim of circumstances) but overall, I have to say I’ve been very pleased with how GGG handled POE. See my 10 years reflection thread on POE here: General Discussion - A note of thanks to GGG - celebrating my 10 years of POE - Forum - Path of Exile)

2 Likes

It’s good to be among such company. I’ve shared my thoughts on Diablo IV on the Path of Exile forums as well, but sadly, if you visit the official Diablo IV forums and post any constructive criticism of the game, you’re met with an almost dogmatic onslaught from literal forum trolls.

1 Like

Congrats on 10 brother, I just checked mine and I still have a ways to go, I am at 7.5 years. Thanks for the response, I enjoy reading what you have to say about the genre we all adore.

@Force

I also made people aware of Bliz’s recent bullshit over this past weekend on a different site, and it was 85% “LOL you are a whiney bitch this isnt fomo or p2w who cares about your name on a statue,” people are just lost in the sauce no matter where you are. Corpoate sheep, it is sad to see. It goes beyond Bliz’s and other companies shit ethics, its about how our fellow consumers have literally 0 empathy for the people this garbage affects. It is truly sad.

3 Likes

Absolutely, but as someone who’s endgame goal is almost always to make my toon look like the badass they’ve become over the journey of leveling, it’s unrewarding and sort of insulting when in PoE the free or non-cosmetic armor appearance look outdated and rustic.

Their art style is very clearly not rustic, it’s massive fire particles and other things like that. But they only sell those.

2 Likes

That is a totally valid was to feel. I have engraved it in myself that I will not buy mtx unless I have points from a supporter pack, or its Weta time!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.