Monument of Protection

Is Monument of Protection drop rate bugged?

I’ve used over 25 rune of ascendance on 1h axes and farmed nearly 40 unique axe nodes in Reign of Dragons timeline in empowered monolith. Plus all the 1 handed unique axe prophecies.

I want to switch to a shield bash build for the new content, but I can’t get this item to drop. Honestly really frustrating and I’m thinking I might just call it quits soon on the cycle.

Is my RNG just horrible or is there a legitimate bug with the drop rate?

Just unlucky.

I used probably 30 roa and farmed for a full day ring monos looking for cycle of putrescence

its a common ring. Sometimes rng just fucks you.

For reference while not target farming the axe, I have killed the new pinnacle boss, leveled a character to 97 and gotten most other new items in the patch and dont have the axe lol.

IT’s a common drop, so it’s just really bad luck. I just tried it (will also try a bash build) and got it on the 3rd try.

EDIT: There are 8 possible uniques you can get (the 9th is a boss drop) and this is a common one. So you should reasonably expect to see 2-3 with the runes you spent.

Did you pray to RNGeezus before you did it? :laughing:

I’ve legitimately gotten beast king 20 times. I don’t know how much more willpower I have to keep doing this.

I have a LP3 Beast King but not 1 monument of protection drop lol.

Yeah, it sucks when you’re at the crappy end of RNG. It’s a small pool of rolls, so it’s expectable that you should get it with that many tries.

There are 5 common unique axes and 3 rare ones. For the sake of simplicity let’s just consider the common ones and assign a 20% chance of getting it (it’s actually lower, but this will make my point).
The chances of not getting one in 25 tries are 0.003, or 0.3%. That means that if a thousand people try this, 3 will (on average) have this happen to them.

So it’s not an unreasonable high probability. It’s high, it sucks it happened to you, but it’s still well within the expected spread.

Maybe the next 2 or 3 will all get you one (very unlikely, but actually higher chance than the example I provided).

Ya I didn’t extrapolate the math like you did lol, but I knew it was a 1 in 7 chance for ROA and prophecy rewards and a 1 in 25 for echo rewards. So I figured it was bugged because the chances of this happening are near zero.

1 Like

Sad times. I’ll try a little longer, but I will probably just call it in a day or so if I don’t get it

Yeah, the RNG can be really frustrating at times. I’ve tried getting a Monument of Protection too and gotten so many Sinathia’s shield it’s starting to grind on me. I have gotten the new Grim Constitution shield 4-5 times (no LP though) but still not MoP.

I wish they didn’t lock build enabling uniques behind strictly RNG.

Maybe add these types of items to a boss loot table or introduce a crafting recipe/dungeon reward that allows you to trade in a number of uniques (of the same item type) for the unique you want. Maybe just restrict this to common uniques. IMO this would feel a lot better.

Wow. Just got it off a prophecy. LP1 too. I’ll say the grind for this item didn’t “feel good”, but I’m so relieved I actually get to play the build I want now. Maybe complaining in the forums got the attention of the RNG gods.

Monument is an axe, not a shield. If you’re getting Sinathia’s shield, you’re using the wrong type.
That is a common mistake. I’ve also rolled a few shield prophecies by mistake as well. It comes from being called a dual shield, but in truth it really isn’t a shield.

I actually forgot that set items could also roll. There’s Ruby Fang Cleaver and it’s also a common drop. That changes the math. If we still only count the common ones, you now have a 0.01 chance of not getting it in 25 tries. That is 1%. So 1 in 100 people should have this happen to them.
The actual value would actually be different, but I don’t know the drop rate of rare items vs common ones and can’t be bothered to do the full calculation.

But suffice it to say that, on average, you can expect this to happen to at least 1 in 100 people.

No, you are correct. It was my mistake calling it a shield above, I was trying to get it for an axe build I wanted on my Paladin. I think I made the mistake b/c it looks like a shield in my opinion.

1 Like

ARPG games are Trading games because RNG really sucks. If there is an item you need you often can’t find it while someone else has a stash collecting dust.

Gratz have fun shame you had to wait so long for it.