Monolith modifiers

After being stuck for a while now on lvl 75 monolith, I am getting quite frustrates at what seems a small pool of modifiers that can roll for the next x echo’s.

These modifiers stack up and it seems the one before the boss is always something that either doubles his damage, or adds 50% HP to him or something like 70% cooldown reduction, of the best: +30% crit chance +250 crit mofifier.

These values when added to all other modifiers from the previous echo’s feel like way over the top to face the boss of the current monolith who is already doing a nasty amount of damage without any +100 damage bufs :frowning:

Am I really the only player who feels these values are too brutal? I can’t even image what it must by like when you play masochist mode…

Yes, sometimes we had a bad streak of modifiers. It may even be worth dying twice, in order to lose 8 echoes and all the modifiers that came with them. :expressionless:

1 Like

I don’t know.

You are complaining about a system that is supposed to make content more difficult.

This is an endgame mode and i think the scaling is fine.

The modifers are totally random and you have a choice and even can reroll if your build can’t handle it.

The cooldown reduction one, along all other “rare enemies have XY” do nto affect bosses.

Both fo the crit modifers are dangerous, but are basically free, once you have 100% Critical Strike Avoidance or a T5 “less damage taken from critical strikes” affix.

You will not come around “easy” ways and the system is supposed to make the content more difficult.

I had a lot of trouble with the husk of Rahyeh in the lvl 65 monolith, precisely because I always want to choose the hardest modifiers for every zone. After my 3rd death to his purple wave spam, I made a point of picking the easiest mods until I found him again. It was a little frustrating but, for me at least, made the whole experience much more satisfying once I finally beat him (if anything, the fight was too easy without crazy mods).

I’m typically into games that are more difficult than Last Epoch so this was a refreshing change. It does feel a little weird now, thinking “okay, I have a 7% chance of getting the boss in my next echo, do I want this mod for the next X number of echoes?” I still think it works, adds a bit more impact to those decisions rather than just mindlessly clicking the button with the highest item rarity.

Void Rahyeh is one of the hardest bosses IMO and it’s place in the MoF is too early.

The difficult progression of bosses is not very linear and void rahyeh is a big difficulty spike.

That boss is very frustrating for alot of people.

Also not knowing which modifers are particulaly bad for certain bosses can lead to unexperienced palyer choosing modifiers that make bosses ridiculously hard.

1 Like

Yeah, none of the bosses I’ve run into since him seem nearly as deadly. They’ve all had interesting mechanics and manage to get my heart pumping, but I’d personally prefer if they were a little harder across the board.

The boss design is still my favorite thing about LE. I’m not sure if it’s the visual clarity or the actual mechanics but the fights feel much more on par with a Dark Souls (in terms of quality, not difficulty :joy:) experience than anything I’ve seen in top-down ARPGs.

2 Likes

Hi, as I have said several times, personally I do not find any difficulty with any boss in the game, I find the monolyte boring as much as possible, with a good character construction you roll on the monolyte, well it was my case. If you’re struggling with bosses at level 75, it may be your construction or your equipment that isn’t good. Personally I made 90 rifts with stacking modifications and those with good equipment but not optimizing but good build.

I don’t really see how difficult Rahyeh is, it’s a slow enough zone so easy to avoid, the only mechanical that can be deadly is when he makes these zones in a circle around him, but he just have to stop typing it and spin after each explosion. It’s a very basic pattern. Personally I beat him with a rogue where I dodge it is zone, or with a primalist where I dodge nothing at all, it was useless 1 second after taking the damage I was full life thanks to the stealing of life.

Being a big fan of dark souls, and having played a final fantasy 14, in my case the bosses of the last epoch dislikes me a bit, the visual is pretty, but they are not dangerous. Dark souls a mistake and you’re bitten, no forgiveness. For me it’s what makes a boss epic, I’ve always been happy to beat a DS or FF boss, on last epoch … You take a class with a bit of life steal a good speed d 'attack and HPs and you are invincible you regenerate more than what you take in damage.

Rahyeh has several abilities, which all deal high dmg and have a relatively small window to reacts to.

Most other bosses abilities deal either less dmg or have a greater window to react to.

And Rahyeh has several of those abilities, while other bosse only ahve 1 or 2 of those abilities.

If you don’t know the boss dodging some of his mechanics can be hard, because they might catch you off-guard or you mispositions yourself or the boss.

The Big Aoe, that he steers toward you deal more dmg than the cake slice thingy.
Both are very deadly.

I am really not sure if we playing the same game.
I mean of course you can face tank some boss mechanics it’s not impossible, bot for the average character progression when you reach Rahyeh the first time for example, i doubt that mopst characters can just face tank him.

If you are experienced and have a very wel thought out build, of course that can be a thing.

Also it heavily depends on the MoF modifers that you have active on a given boss fight.

Seems like you playing very strong builds or you are a good player, either way, are you talking about normal or empowered?

In case you have not fought most bosses on empwoered i highly recomend doing that.

Indeed I have some experience anyway, even if I don’t think I’m a good player at all. Otherwise I was talking about the normal version, it is true that I have not yet played against the improved versions, which could explain my judgment may be wrong.

But regarding my experience I have mainly played diablo 2 and 3 for too many years to count, I did all the dark souls which are a reference in terms of boss fighting, I also played a lot of different MMO in particular FF14 which almost obliges to learn by heart a pattern and even the you are not safe to make you one shot. On last epoch I have a lot of trouble chaining the monolytes that find quite boring repeatedly which explains why I have not yet made an improved version.

Having any kind of experience with games where bosses have alot of mechanics, like dark souls or mmo’s does help grasp LE’s bosses.
But for most aRPG player such mechanical boss fights are rather new.

I can highly recommend playing empowered monolith, the gameplay experience changes quite dramatically, if you reach a certain difficulty level, because you will not be able to easily “rush through” and the way you approach certain mob packs/mob types does change depending on the modifers you take.

It is true that Last epoch is the first ARPG which tries to impose mechanics and patterns which I like a lot, although I find its a bit simple, but if you tell me that the improved versions are much more dangerous, its motivates me to try hard a bit. It is true that I always lack motivation, and above all, I like too much to test new things in last epoch a point that I like a lot in this game, I made several versions of each character and I always find a new build to do

I personally would like to have super crazy mechanical bosse too.

But too much is probably not appropriate for the genre, or at least alot of people would not like that.
But the next boss they teasered looks quite interesting.

They are baseline more dangerous and depending on the modifers (which you have slight control over) bosses can deal enourmous amount of damage and pretty much one shot even the most tanky build.

I do also experiment alot with new builds, but pushing and testing the boundaries of a few characters is also very interesting for me.

I know alot of people seem to dislike Monolith(especially the modifers) and i would agree that more variety in modifers would be great.

But some of the modifiers do change the way you play the game mode quite a bit.

Stuff like “Enemies are deadly when not damaged recently” does change combat pretty substantially.

Also if you have to choose between modifers like “enemeis deal 80% increased dmg” or “enemies deal 160% increase elemental damage” makes you think twice which one you want to choose.

Because certain enemy types are ridicolous (in a good way) with the specific dmg type modifiers.

All of those modifers are not only baseline 70% stronger due to the Empowered Modifier scaling, but on top of that empowered MoF also has 50% more hp and dmg scaling, which makes those choices even more impactfull.

It’s true that fans of ARPG games aren’t so used to having very mechanical bosses, but it’s so cool, especially in multiplayer, with mechanics for each type of character, like a phase or you. can no longer heal the group if you do not do this or that thing, oblige this coordinate, I find its much nicer than as diablo 3 where you take a support character that generates agro and buff, and three other characters who DPS without thinking about anything other than their rotation.
Regarding the improved version bosses I will try soon, it intrigues me and interests me, I have lost my motivation a little after playing my poison bladedancer with the shuriken, this build is so strong that no matter the difficulty or the modifiers, it suffices to hit an enemy with shurikens and it takes poison ticks to abuse. I drove on faults 90 with a little poor equipment. I said to myself what’s the point of improving my stuff I’m killing the game already.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.