Monolith Lagon difficulty sus

Hi, I 've lost 2 HC Chars over the course of 150 hours due to Lagon in Monolith Area 75.

It’s my belief that if I am able to afk while monsters hit me without dying then I shouldn’t be getting quite literally 1 shot by the area’s boss. My first char I lost this way was a Necro who I admit wasnt the tankiest, but my death knights killed him while I was dead weirdly enoguh.

My second character was a rogue with 1500 HP, 100% glancing blow 100% Crit avoidance 75% resist all 2900-3900 Armor and 9% endurance, I went in pretty confident and in phase 2 I was a little slow to Shift over the Moon Blast and the moon blast killed me instantly upon touching me.
This is coming from somebody who has beaten Diablo 3 on HC in inferno mode back in the day, including solo’ing Belial who Lagon is so clearly copied from (With a little of Helya from WoW thrown in during the 50% Transition)

I’ve only died 1 time in total where it set me back echo progress and even that pissed me off, clearing 14 more echos with 40% chance cap to find the boss again feels awful, I can’t imagine playing Softcore and dying on occassion where this would be a thing

P.S the whole * Does the title sound interesting if you read it out loud? Is it a good summary?

• Who would be interested in this? Why does it matter? What kind of responses do you want?
    thing before posting makes it seem like i’m in 5th grade english class again about to submit homework to Mrs. Doubtfire lmao.

Also I would work on optimizing the game a little more most youtube videos showing crazy builds people have very laggy frames, and I cant get over 50 frames on very low setting with a 1050 and 16gb vram

This is not the current vision of the game. Devs want telegraphed attacks that you move to avoid no matter your character. Boss fights should be when you tune in and focus where running echoes can be a more mindless affair.

Soem things to consider: were both of these with the same mods? What area and enemy type? Which mods were on each/both, some mods are fine for bosses while others are terrifying and vice versa.

Is this your endurance threshold, or your % endurance. They are 2 related but different stats.

This is being changed next patch with the new monolith changes

I mean, if some dude was coming at me waving a gun and warning me to get off their lawn, I’d get off their lawn immediately. Totally not sus.

On another note, it’s definitely possible to face tank some the hardest hitting mechanics in the game but it takes quite a while to get there. You just got a wakeup call that your build wasn’t there yet.

Agreed, it’s possible but generally not the intended difficulty for most builds.

Nope. As Nerdherv said, if you get hit by a telegraphed move from a boss it should ideally kill you. I’m not sure if the moon beam is a hit or not, I’d assume so, but his sweeping eye beam is certainly a DoT so the glancing blow, crit avoidance & armour on your Rogue wouldn’t have had any effect.

If there’s no death penalty then you can just zerg through everything. I think that loosing monolith echos is reasonable. Though all this will change in 0.8.2.

That’s just to help people make useful thread titles, 'cause they don’t always.

Optimisation is an ongoing thing, most content patches improve it in some way.

I had only 2 mods that effected the boss, 231% Crit chance (null due to my 105% crit avoidance)
and 13% dmg increase. The rest were “Rare enemies can heal” etc.

the 9% was just endurance not +endurance but % endurance.

I was also using shadow daggers effectiveness at 85% and 2x smoke weavers for dmg, and applying 500 ward with “Ward on shadow creation” very similar to amaranthy’s r1 rogue build, because the tankiness of the build appealed to my vision for HC.

The 450% Armor increase was due to the 2x smoke weavers and shift every 1.8 seconds with blade armor in the shurikens node. Ontop of this I had the green unique belt for +200 armor and +24% Armor in, the plan was to drop it for a yellow health + health hybrid belt once I got the armor blessing towards the end.

I had also had 10 points into Ardent somethignsomething that gives 1,000 ward when dropping below 70% as well as 3 points into reduced dmg when low health (9%) . That’s on top of the 9% reduced dmg below 20% with the extra endurance i was able to slot in thanks to some lucky critical successes.

Instantly one shot, vaporized in the blink of an eye.
I was tuned in, and focused, I glanced down to check my mana really quick to see where i was at with my rotation, look up asap and…

instantly one shot. lol.

and for the necro, I was 900 HP, resist capped, no endurance but had about 1200 armor. I used transplant to reposition from the middle where it throws you as soon as the transition phase is over. I went to the far right, and his moon blast (Eye beam attack) instantly came down ontop of me.

I’ve raided in WoW extensively and feel like i have a good idea how to read telegraphed attacks, I know the eye glows red when hes about to do it, I can tell when hes about to do it based on how many seconds go by in the fight (usually every 4-5 attack animations)

I haven’t been able to spend a lot of time in the 2nd phase , but it seems like the moon blast gets significantly faster? And covers more area surface? I wasnt sure, because one second i see its in the middle of the room headed towards me, this is when i glanced at my mana to assess if i should move to the left more to buy time to shift if i was oom or if i should just shift through it (I had taken the invulnerability while shifting node)

but before I could even glance it was on me, and I pressed shift as soon as i could, definitely within 300MS of realizing it was going quicker than before, and with all of the above mentioned defenses let me emphasize, instantly one shot.

Prior to all of this I got to wave 100 in arena without losing HC status, decided to stop to get the blessings before going for a leaderboard spot since i know 100+ gets much harder.

Oh that makes sense then, Crimson shroud was the one thing I didnt pick up (DoT reduction)
Couldn’t really tell as it just 1 shot me.

A little weird considering i only had 13% more dmg on him modifier, whereas with Rayeh Void Bird God dude boss in the mono earlier I had 190% Dmg modifier on him and face tanked one of his pizza slices on the platform didnt even drop me below half

The Rogue sounds like a decently tanky build & you didn’t have any “bad” mods (like frenzy, enrage or damage when hit), but the moon beam isn’t an instant cast, there’s a big glowing moon on the floor for a second or two so if you’re paying attention it can’t instantly one shot you.

Also, the base endurance % is 20% + whatever you have on gear but that only affects any damage taken below the threshold (where the base is also 20% of your max hp). So if you had an additional 9% endurance then you’d be taking 29% less damage on any damage below 20% of your max hp

That’s a bug, Lagon shouldn’t be using any skills while you’re “downstairs” so it should be impossible to get moved back up to Lagon into a lethal telegraph that you then have no time to avoid.

I’ve not noticed any changes that Lagon gets in the second phase unless you selected an enrage modifier.

1 Like

The only attack that I know is a DoT is the sweeping eye beam. The others could be DoTs bit given they only hit once that wouldn’t make sense.

Well thats where i’m confused both times it tells me Moon Blast is what killed me on the necro and rogue, but it’s the sweeping eye attack, So the sweeping eye attack is what i’m referring to when i say moon blast. The AoE circle on the ground is what i originally thought it was when i died the first time and it said “Moon blast killed you”, but the 2nd time around the sweeping eye attack definitely killed me and it still said moon blast got me.

Oh no, I meant as soon as the tentacle phase down below was over and it grabs you back up top, that’s when i teleported to the right and instantly died on my necro (my first char) xD

In hindsight he must have been charging up the sweeping eye attack which the game seems to call it “moon blast” as soon as the phase started

If it’s the sweeping eye beam that killed you then that’s definitely a DoT & only your resists, hp & endurance (such as it was, 29% damage reduction on any damage below 20% of your hp) would take effect against it.

Yeah, that’s why it’s a bug. Lagon shouldn’t be doing any attacks while you’re “downstairs”. So if you get teleported back up to the ledge into an attack that then one shots you, that’s not supposed to happen.

If you died because you didn’t move out of a lethal attack, that’s on you, if you died because you were teleported back up to the ledge into a lethal attack, that’s on the devs to fix (again, they did have it fixed for a while).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.