Mobs being overtuned

I have been running into this a lot where I am constantly being one shot from random mobs. There are certain mob types that seem to do EXTREME amounts of damage with their attacks. At first I thought this was maybe because I was playing my Mage and that, but I am now playing my Paladin with 1.3k HP and maxed out resistances. I have tons of damage mitigation and am still running into mobs that just outright one shot me. I can understand some one shot mechanics on bosses and that, but for average elite mobs and that, this just seems crazy to me. Some of these mechanics go off so fast that there is no time to get out of the area of effect after having to wait for skill animations to finish before you can move/use another skill. I found that even with instant movement skills like Teleport it was 50/50 if you could get out of a lot of these. Also having mobs literally dome you off screen (with no indication of a splash zone around you) and also able to one shot you has left a sour taste in my mouth in an otherwise extremely fun game. It is already too punishing to straight lose a reward you are farming for in a Monolith, but to then lose it to over tuned one shot mechanics on mobs makes me want to just stop playing. I get that elite mobs and that are supposed to be harder, but if I have a build that is supposed to be tanky as all hell, outside of MAYBE bosses, I shouldn’t be getting one shot. And before anyone says about shredding and that, I am talking about with ZERO debuffs on you.

Couple mobs I have noticed:
-The large flesh guys that throw a large aoe necrotic orb at you (and its reskinned variants).
-The large Covenant of Dominion fire guys. Full fire resist and one tick will usually 1 shot or almost 1 shot.
-The mobs that do the very fast falling frost orbs constantly in an area around you.

Also any Spire objective in Monoliths are so cancerous with their high damage that I will just leave until it becomes something different, or go to a different echo. Spires are just so unfun with how much damage they do, and how large the damage area is. Very easily another mechanic that without instant skills like Teleport, lead to a very unfun experience.

Yeah, these are all mobs that do high damage on account of them being telegraphed and them not occuring in packs. All of their big damaging attacks are easy to avoid if you’re not of the opinion that dps builds shouldn’t have to move out of the way of incoming damage.

There’s already a thread on this.

Some of them are a bit frustrating (Avalanche tracking you when its a cast skill not a channel & the telegraphs for the necrotic XXX flesh guys appearing in mid air), but they’re all easy to avoid.

This is the only death penalty there is in the game. I don’t think it’s unreasonable.

The ones you listed (except possibly the Avalanche ones) are all champions.

Not with 1.3k hp its not. You get oneshot because you didn’t move out of the way of a high damage telegraphed ability and you dont have enough hp.

Also well telegraphed with the possible exception of some combinations (phys/poison spires on dark tilesets, cold spires on snow tilesets).

Or, you know, running out of the way. You don’t need a movement skill unless you’re surrounded by mobs at which point, if you’re in a spire mono, why did you let that happen?

You keep bringing up “well telegraphed skills”. While yes they show up well enough (except the Spires), the time between getting the ring that indicates the attack and it actually hitting the area, is so fast that by the time your character stops whatever animation it is doing, and then the time it takes to move out of the ring, 75% of the time you are getting hit anyway. Hence why I said that unless you have a skill like Teleport, just WALKING out isn’t really capable in most scenarios. I will also state that server delay could be playing a big part in that too.

As for the tankiness thing, I am not talking about Empowered Monoliths, just normal ones. From what I have seen most end game builds sit around 2-2.5k hp, so 1.3k at normals should be tanky enough, especially with capped resistences.

Not for the phys/necrotic flesh mobs or the big fire golem. You might take 1 Avalanche if you’re not paying attention to them raising their arm (or you think you can burst them down before they get the cast off & don’t quite make it). And if it’s the phys flesh mob, you can move inside the ring & not get hit.

It is. I’ve not had any problems with it & I’m not a @LizardIRL skill level player.

Not if you’re going to take big hits to the face (potentially with some bad modifiers). Have you capped your crit avoidance? Do you have any other defensive mechanics such as block/dodge/% DR (eg, the Armour Clad node for a Sentinel)? Resists are the start of your defences, not the end.

Are you following a particular build guide that we can compare & contrast your character to? 'Cause I’d be shocked if your tanky-but-gets-one-shot-by-telegraphed-hits-in-normal-monos has anywhere near the defensive mitigations of the “end game” tanky build (even ignoring that your gear will be somewhat worse than the ideal setup for the guide).

Hey there,
First off, if you’ve played the game for some time you learn the attack patterns of enemies and which are fearsome and which not.

So for example when you meet a Wengari Patriarch you will be ready to react to the avalanche he will cast at some point.

Then, as Llama said, there are some more layers of DR than just HP and resistances.

• Make sure you have high Armour value on your Sentinel
  • Max out crit avoidance to 100% to avoid critical strikes
  • Max out endurance to 60% mitigation (this is a oneshot protection mechanic)
  • Use the sentinel passive for “less damage taken from enemies nearby”

Also be aware of what echo modifiers you choose. Mods like “enemies are deadly when not damaged recently” can make mobs hurt. “Enemies enrage at half health” can also be a tough one. And if you haven got 100% crit avoidance you should keep away from “enemies have increase critical strike chance”

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.