Meteor Sorcerer seems like a really bad build for endgame content

I have a 94 mage/sorc meteor focused and it’s gameplay is really boring and ineffective. Each meteor costing 85 mana is a joke. Even geting the nodes that refund some of it’s mana cost, the gameplay is all about to throw 2 or 3 meteors and the channel focus risking dying for that mobs that dashes on u or an AOE skill/spell. Mana Regeneration seems to be the worst stat in the game and should be buffed. Items with T7 mana regen only giving u +1 or +2 mr/s is really wild. I have two friends, one playing Rogue with 2 daggers at level 50 and the other playing necromancer and their gameplay seems really smoother and faster.

TL;DR: I think meteor should be buffed somehow, maybe the mana cost, maybe they should make mana regen a better stat. Thats it.

1 Like

I think Sorcerer will gets updated soon. Everyone knows it’s outdated, just a weaker and less fun version of Runemaster.

I understand your pain though because I have a Meteor Sorcerer too. The only way to sustain the mana is high-speed casting Fireball and periodically using Focus.

2 Likes

I think it’s a matter of approaching the skill wrong. Use it for big rare monsters or bosses, not everything else. That’s why you have zero cost skills which can be used to kill the easy stuff as well as generate mana in some cases. 85 mana is nothing compared to some other skills, but they also are designed for bigger targets not average echo gameplay.

Maybe it’s a POE effect. In POE u just focus on one skill and everything else is a buff or a mechanic that allows u to use that particular skill. I think it should be my problem. However, I still think Meteor Sorcerer should get some love. Sorcerer passives are way weaker than Runemaster’s one. And for meteor you have to focus in crit, area of effect, mana regen, multiplier. I’m in the planner looking for some uniques to farm. I really wish I could’ve playing like a star god making meteor showers and killing everything. Maybe it isn’t the case in this game.

On top of what people said, you can find various necklaces and rings with increased area of effect for spells. I know it goes up to +30% as i had one drop today. May be something to look for as it works with hellfire shade, so should work here too

I really think the idea of being able to constantly use a main damage skill is something people need to get rid of. Yes there are builds that can do it, that doesn’t mean every build needs to do it.
Meteor is insanely strong and thus cost a lot of mana. But you can integrate it very well into a build as a supplementary skill that you only use every now and then.

I don’t say mana regen is perfect as it is, but I personally think it is a really really underestimated Stat.

Also the numbers you throw around are objectively wrong so please don’t throw them around when you really don’t know.

T5 mana regeneration gives 30-35% which is 2,4-2,8 mana/sec.
T7 would be 46-55% which is 3,68-4,4 mana/sec

I use mana regeneration of alot of my builds and it is one of these stats that doesn’t look that good or exciting on paper, but it does feel really good.

For Meteor to be viable as a main Spammer it is still not enough though, but that doesn’t make it a bad Stat.

2 Likes

I understand your pain though because I have a Meteor Sorcerer too. The only way to sustain the mana is high-speed casting Fireball and periodically using Focus.

That isn’t true.

• Mana Strike
  • Disintegrate with Laser Focus
  • Frost Claw with Gift of Winter
  • Mana Refund after Teleport
  • Mana gain on activation of Arcane Ascendancy

Do not get me wrong, but when I play a Sorcerer I don’t want to use melee attacks at all. So Mana Strike, for me is more for Spellblade thematically speaking. Mana refund after Teleport is a really bad node bc it more than duplicate the cooldown, and for a ranged character, distance is the most important defensive mechanic. Again with Arcane Ascendancy, it just makes u stop moving. In the late game it is too risky and u should keep moving to avoid AOE skills/spells and melee monsters. Frost Claw I didn’t know about, maybe it should help me and Disintegrate seems a really bad spell too. At least the original one.

I did reset my build and now I’m playing Meteor with Fireball, the problem is that Fireball just doesn’t do any damage. It is really low, even for normal mobs. And the skill tree isn’t that exciting either. Also, the gameplay loop seems the same, some meteors, some fireballs that only works for mana regen with that node on Meteor and then just channel focus for the 1s boost.

Tryed some different combos with cold and lightning spells and it wasn’t game changer or anything like that. Maybe I should let it go and just level up another character.

Then make it a ranged attack in the skilltree. Sure it’s still not a spell but one of the fastest ways to get mana while doing dmg.

You can reduce the cooldown and you know… you can… I’m realy sure about this one… teleport away from enmies instead of on top of them. I’m like 99% sure about this one.

True. Selfroots are always not that great.

For me it’ relatively simple: I always use a filler spell to regain my mana like fireball on a fire build or lightning blast on a lightning build and so on and so forth. This helps me to be always able to do at least some damage and to have my mana back at the same time. That for me was always the best thing to do while teleport for free spells was nice as well when I played builds that made spells use 60+ mana in quick succession.

Not super far in on my meteor Sorc, only about level 65, but I’ve been using the Lightning Meteor set and going for Lightning Blast Crits to proc Herald of the Stars or use Armaggeddon black hole with bonus Pull range and strength. It’s been working ok, though I do find myself using Teleport Focus a lot to scrape up Mana during boss fights.

The other problem I think Meteor suffers from is inconsistency, I wouldn’t mind the huge mana cost as much if it was guarenteed to ruin the day of anything I pointed it at, but the small area and loose grouping of the meteor showers makes it way too often that none of your meteors connect, even on immobile enemies or with highly reduced fall time. If the damage has to take a hit, so be it, but improved consistency for meteor showers is my #1 ask right now.

1 Like

When I started playing meteor, I didn’t get multiple meteors nodes bc of mana cost. Only one, huge meteor, but the damage of it isn’t that good alone. So I started investing in Meteor Shower bc Sorcerer perk gives the skill more damage based on it’s mana cost. The damage is in fact higher, but now my Meteor costs like 125 mana and it is soooo inconsistent. Half of the times it just doesn’t hit the enemy. The base area of meteor should be higher I guess. The skill have a lot of downsides to compensate big damage, like a really low cast speed, fall speed and area and the huge mana cost. This in a game with a lot of builds with almost no downside at all.

Blockquote
Then make it a ranged attack in the skilltree. Sure it’s still not a spell but one of the fastest ways to get mana while doing dmg.

It just makes the skill give u 80% less mana, It just kills the skill functionallity.

Okay, so no Mana Strike, noted.

It just makes the skill give u 80% less mana, It just kills the skill functionallity.

It doesn’t. You can regen with ranged Mana Strike just fine. If you decide to use melee attacks, check the other nodes on the tree :slight_smile:

Mana refund after Teleport is a really bad node bc it more than duplicate the cooldown, and for a ranged character, distance is the most important defensive mechanic.

There are cooldown reduction nodes right there, so cooldown will go back to normal AND you get a 4s immunity to stuns in the same branch. And if you are normally staying at a distance, then even 10s long Teleport wouldn’t be a problem.

Again with Arcane Ascendancy, it just makes u stop moving.

Nobody is telling you to keep it active though. You cast Meteor, pop AA to gain mana, cast another Meteor, disable AA. You can do this in less than 1s. And you get bonus damage and cast speed.

I don’t play Meteor, and I’m using AA in my build btw.

Disintegrate seems a really bad spell too. At least the original one.

There are some nice builds with Disintegrate out there. Twin Beam Hyperfocal setup is 80 mana/sec, so in terms of mana restoration, it’s weaker than Focus.

But I think we should first ask you about your build. Do you have 1000 or more maximum mana? How much mana regen per second do you have? Do you have the Wisdom passive from Sorcerer tree? Unsealed Mana from Runemaster tree? Does your Fireball cost mana to cast?

I had like 700 mana, but my regen couldn’t keep up the pace. So instead I just abandoned mana stacking and went full damage on prefixes. It helped me a lot with boss fights bc I need less spell castings to kill them. I’ll look for Desintegrate, I also have some uniques with LP that makes Desintegrate better.

After playing sorc for a few days i am around 80. I think its extremely fun. It needs more damage, but mechanically its extremely good. Shaman /druid is significantly worse than sorc

Yes, mana regen will never be able to keep up. It’s crappy by design it seems.

You either have to cast the big spells only once in a while (Meteor “Aftermath” passive, wink wink), or you have to replenish mana by other means.

Sorcerer is suposed to have greater burst than Runemaster, bc Runemaster gameplay is all about comboing runes and mobility, it is a fast paced build. Sorcerer is slower and the main damage skill is too slow, so by default, slower classes are suposed to inflict more damage per interaction and this just do not happen at all. Meteor Damage is high, but not enough to compensate for it’s mana cost. Also, if u take multiple meteors nodes, the skill becomes inaccurate and sometimes will just misses the target.

Sorcerer is suposed to have greater burst than Runemaster, bc Runemaster gameplay is all about comboing runes and mobility, it is a fast paced build. Sorcerer is slower and the main damage skill is too slow, so by default, slower classes are suposed to inflict more damage per interaction and this just do not happen at all.

Those are some pretty wild assumptions about classes. There is no “main damage skill” either.

Metoer does not need a buff, mana regen does, they need some flat + mana regen affixes to help build off of. Similar to what HP Regen has.

While I have not played Sorc directly myself the gist of the mastery tree seems to be big cost = big damage so to me focusing heavily into max mana would be a good start so that you can actually get more than 2-3 casts of meteor out.

Focus is definatly something that would be intended for this particular type of build but channeling it would be a problem. I would say it is better used after the fight before you move onto the next pack.

Sorcs need some love. It’s an older mastery and hasn’t gotten the same attention the newer ones have.

Related