Melee

Pally in D2 is easy mode. You very quickly increase your resists with little downside. Barbs, however, had a much harder time.

Baal doesn’t, but Diablo does. When he does the lightning hose or the firestorm attacks, you have to react quickly or you’re dead, no matter how many pots you have. And the reaction time for Diablo’s attacks are much smaller than Lagon’s.
They didn’t continue this with Baal, but many of the ubers do this as well.
Ranged builds have always been stronger in D2, other than zeal pally for ubers.

Historically, melee characters have always been the strongest at lower levels and casters were the strongest at higher levels. This was the case until 3.5. I haven’t kept up with changes after that, so this might have changed, but until then a level 20 wizard would always wipe everything out before the barb could even reach his first enemy.

I don’t understand what you mean by this. All bosses in D3 can be face tanked. And D3 was a boring game due to this. It had zero challenge.

There are many MANY players that would disagree with you. I personally don’t like souls-games, but they have lots of players that even today replay the first games regularly.

Since the game has infinite scaling, all you’re doing is moving goalposts. No matter how much you buff defenses, you’ll reach a corruption point where you’re one-shot.

The trend isn’t because of power creep, it’s because ARPG players have changed to prefer bosses with some challenge rather than something you can just face tank while watching a youtube video.

probably all devs play only range so ya…

not really, you can reach a point where mobs kill you, yes, but not necessarely one-shot you.

No. If it’s infinite scaling, you’ll always reach a point where they one-shoot you. If you increase defenses they’ll simply one-shoot you at corruption 700 instead of 500, but inevitably you will reach a point where you’re one-shot. If you have finite defenses and they have infinitely scaling damage, this is inevitable. That’s what infinite means.

2 Likes

No I don’t know what you mean because Greater Rifts are in D3. I am playing LE. Maybe you should try it?

no, because BEFORE reaching that point you SHALL reach a point shere mobs slowly kill you, so you will not reach the one-shot.
BTW, yousee, in this game The Wall is that you will die, and NOT: you will not die but you won’t be able to kill mobs faster enough !!!@@!!
In Diablo 3 you can play Greater Rift 150 without dyong but you will not finish on time(you have 15mins to finish) so you need to balance the build defense vs offense.

But this already happens. If you’re at corruption 100 mobs don’t one-shoot you. And when you reach corruption 500 (or whichever) they do.
The only “mobs” that consistently one-shoot you are the bosses.

like I said in the first post, I was one-shooted by a generic mob(not a boss) who blew fire on me when fighting several otherm0bs woth no problem.

1 Like

Yes, and if you lower your corruption that won’t happen. Or, in this case, lower arena waves won’t one-shoot you. But if you keep playing on increasing waves, inevitably more and more mobs will one-shoot you.

When D3 came out, they said in an interview that their pride was in having made a game that would kill players and in fact that was what happened, in hell4 everything had the potential to kill you instantly until builds appeared that abused the game’s flaws. remembering that this is because the game model was to sell items for real money in AH. When this dropped they had to release a lot of the game’s drop, this took the game to an idiotic escalation where so much damage was done to the players, they created a new “difficulty” it reached hellXVI (the last time I saw it) this is power creep UNFORTUNATELY I followed this exact model, a repetitive and useless rift model that scales infinitely. Like I said, it’s a joke because copying something like that?

It’s actually called Torment, not Hell. Hell was just one of the base difficulties. Torment was the one that eventually increased to level 16. And they never had infinite scaling. Torment 16 was the highest and GR 150 was also the highest. If you could clear both, there was no other challenge, no other difficulty.

LE has infinite scaling so you can simply find your comfortable spot. If you like a challenge you’ll push it to where you’ll have high rewards but also anything might kill you. If you don’t like that, you just don’t increase corruption and play at a level you’re comfortable with.
Personally, I’ve never aimed for higher than 200 corruption yet.

As for arena, it’s a challenge mode meant to see how far you can reach. That means that inevitably you’ll be one-shot. If you don’t like that, don’t play arena. I find arena extremely boring, so I never bothered with it other than once or twice to try it out.

the game has problems, 9 out of 10 topics here are about how defenses don’t work and how the game is unbalanced, 1.0 was dominated by 2 builds, and the game is already bleeding. If you want to deny it, ok, I’ve seen this in d3, d4, new world, lost ark, wolcen…If they don’t change anything, do you think people will go back to the next league? 98% of the game’s skills and builds are useless and everyone is having to explore the 2% that are extremely OP… well I’ve already abandoned ship and from what I see here I don’t think we’ll see a solution, just a tiny base of those who deny the problems

1 Like

The game is amazing. The balance issues it has, all games have but at its core its better than every other arpg out right now. That you can claim 98% of the skills in the game and builds don’t work shows extreme ignorance. I have had no issue progressing on a melee beastmaster with wolves. I already have multiple legendaries. I already have 30 million gold. The game has been out less than a month. It will only get better.

No one is denying that balancing is requiring. But that was not what you were complaining about.

Also, just because a few builds are overperforming doesn’t mean that the rest are useless. You won’t reach as high content as those do, but you can still do all endgame. A few people have FOMO and feel like they have to use the most meta build, but that is the case in every game, even in D2, where everyone and their mother started with a sorc for farming and then made a hammerdin. Some people just had fun with whatever build, but that was the meta.

98% of the skills are just fine and work properly and let you play the game content without any issues. The aim isn’t corruption 2000/arena 2000 or you’re not having fun. That is a mentality most ARPGs actually don’t have.

To be fair there is ways around this.

Chronicon a small indie Arpg with infinite scaling had this issue as well.

The devs reformulated the scaling so it was much slower for damage, and slightly higher for health. This meant you still had to scale defense, you couldnt just ignore it. but you couldnt slack on damage either or else you would simply not be able to kill anything. And the damage eventually reached a cap. then what was limiting you was your ability to kill stuff which could take minutes at which point farming at that difficulty was pointless.

I really do think corruption could use a rethink. The current implementation is way better then before for me personally as its easy to tell where my limit is without worrying about modifiers.

But they could try and tinker with decoupling the same scaling for damage/health. and make it so you needed a bit more balanced character currently if you are playing something even related to a meta class damage is never the issue, its beefing up so you dont die to the insane damage scaling.

1 Like

Your HP is half what it should be as a melee build…

1 Like

The passive is called “Off-screen clear”, it reduces the damage of enemies by 100%, but only if you kill them

2 Likes

Skill options in general feel very cookie cutter at the moment. I tried melee on two characters and as expected it was clunky, but as far as options go it was very limiting. Forge Guard & Shaman.

I can’t speak to how melee is preforming but I do hope there are more options for conversion and alteration of how skills function.

I like the fact that Rive has some customization in how it works within its tree and void cleave has a bit as well. But something like tempest strike or the big big hammer strike feel very set in stone and not leaving much to creativity or different game plans.

In general Melee skills and passives in this game feel like an afterthought. Hope there’s more in the works for that.

1 Like

You tried two of the most underperforming masteries which need a lot of love (Shaman got a little with 1.0 but not enough). The older masteries/skills have a lot less options than the new ones. They need to be buffed.
I believe the best performing melee mastery right now is Void Knight, but I never liked melee so I can’t really say. Someone will surely correct me.

Might be there is even a bug with Fire+Physical ca,bo damage from mobs. I am always one-shooted but this combo, both in arena and monoliths corruption ~230.

The amount of incoming damage that a melee character faces is probably 8-10x what a ranged character faces, but this isn’t obvious when playing solo.

I have a lightning claw mage and a tank paladin. When I play either of them solo all of the mobs come after me. On my mage I zip around with teleport to avoid incoming fire so my damage output is less than what it could be if I just stood in one place. On my paladin I just tank through all of the hits and even though his damage output is lower his clear speed is about the same since I get to use lunge offensively instead of defensively.

However, when I pair either of them up with a complementary class (e.g. my paladin with a ranged class or my mage with a tank or pet build) the differences in incoming damage are enormous. When my paladin tanks the ranged class I’m with can generally DPS like there is no tomorrow without worrying about incoming damage. Likewise, if I’m on my mage behind a tank or pets there is a vanishingly small amount of incoming damage to my mage. (Boss fights are still interesting for both players regardless, since the devastating attack mechanics seem to be evenly split for bosses.)

So I find the dichotomy between incoming damage on ranged and melee to be … weird. I feel like there is something that should be adjusted to level the playing field but I don’t know what.

1 Like