Maximum Critical Strike Chance?

Hello,

I am curious what the maximum Critical Strike Chance is. I understand the difference between additive + Critical Strike Chance and multiplicative Increased Critical Strike Chance. What I am confused about is that I am wearing numerous items, and have maxed out the passive, for Critical Strike Chance. I cannot appear to get the stat over 20% - is that the cap?

Heyā€¦ Not sure what the actual cap is but I have been able to get the crit strike chance to 24% on a Rogue without much effort so 20 is definitely not the cap. I expect that some of the dw crit builds could get much higherā€¦

Sure one of the expert builders will chip in with the correct answerā€¦ :wink:

maximum crit chance is 100%, but the character sheet doesnā€™t accurately reflect a number of situational modifiers that affect your crit chance.

for example if you have nodes within a skillā€™s specialization tree that increase critical strike chance for that skill, they will not be displayed.

Im pretty sure there is actually No cap Iā€™ve seen over 100% in my char sheet.
Its my understanding that having over 100% crit chance can help against mobs that have crit avoidance, but ive been wrong no less than 3 times today so not sure.

Thank you! This is very helpful to know. I was so confused when I added 8 points to Critical Precision yet was still showing 20%. The above commenter said he got his to 24%, so thereā€™s still some room for my character to grow eventually, I just have to figure out why Iā€™m stuck at 20% because almost every item Iā€™m wearing and my Idols add +Critical Strike Chance or Increased Critical Strike Chance.

oh i didnā€™t think about that possibilityā€¦ you may have a point there about helping against crit avoidance. i was just thinking about it in terms of the way ailments work with chance over 100%.

and youā€™re also right about there being no ā€œcapā€ per se, as iā€™ve seen my character sheet crit chance go over 100% with things like crit shrines, gamblers fallacy, etc that give +100% crit chance.

for now, the best way to get an idea of what your actual crit chance is is to just practice on the dummy. if the damage numbers are yellow all the time, youā€™re at 100%.

(edit: not counting damage ticks from DoTs)

While you are correct that there is no cap on the crit chance displayed (just equipping a Gamblerā€™s Fallacy will take you over 100% & I think Heavy got over 600% crit chance for his Disintegrate build), you are wrong that over 100% reduces a mobā€™s crit avoidance.

Crit avoidance is a multiplier to your crit chance, not additive. So if the get 100%, you will never crit them. The only way to reduce their crit avoidance is with stacks of the crit vulnerability debuff/ailment.

The maths is pretty simple to do, you take the displayed crit chance then recalculate with any crit modifiers from the skill you want to check.

covers face with arms and hisses

Not sure if you have the formula handy with you, but just out of curiosity are you saying 10% crit avoidance will always give the defender a 10% chance against a crit no matter how much crit strike they have? or if the attacker has 600% crit chance it reduces that 10% chance by some. I know at 100% crit avoidance its impossible to crit without some vulnerability debuff but I just figured anything under 100% could have some diminishing returns.

Yup, 10% crit avoidance gives the target 10% chance to not be crit regardless of what the attackerā€™s crit chance is.

Chance to be crit = (sum of base crit x sum of increased crit) x (1 - crit avoidance %).

See here is where im confused. According to that formula it states the opposite

• (20% Base X 1000% Increased) x (1-50%crit avoidance)
  • (20 x 100) x (1-0.5)
  • (200) x (0.5)
  • 100% Crit chance

So the formula tells a different story unless im missing something but I typed the formula into google and it got the same answer.

Well, the (sum of base crit x sum of increased crit) is capped at 100% (just like resists are capped at 75).

ahh so there is a cap

Of course. But itā€™s on the receiverā€™s end (the max they can have is a 100% chance to be crit), rather than the dealerā€™s end (their numbers can go over 100%, but thereā€™s no point with the exception of Disintegrate/Ignivarā€™s Head).

Look at our @Llama8! I remember the days when he was a newbie and asked all the (dumb :sweat_smile:) questions. Now heā€™s the wise guy that has the answers to almost everything.

While I did also ask all that dumb questions the difference is that Iā€™m more like Kelly Bundy. First in, first out. If my brain hits the cap of information it can store, the oldest information gets deleted automatically when a new info is saved.

So I learn all the things new every few weeks. Nice to have such a smart Llama! Iā€™m curious if Llama1-7 were that smart, too. And what happened to them?

1 Like

he had to reboot 7 times, this is the 8th llama prototype.

3 Likes

My Bladedancers displayed crit is 54%, but in reality it is 100% as it doesnā€™t take into account situational or attack specific crit mods.

Is the reboot button external? I like to push llamas buttons

1 Like